1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread V TRURO 2-0 win

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Jul 19, 2016.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Back by popular demand, the first match report of the season from a very pleasant evening hosted by Truro City FC.

New ground for me and took Mrs Lyndy and Number 2 son for an airing. The tone was set at the turnstile when I asked for two adults and a student and the young lady asked me how much it was for a student-we settled on £10 for adults and £5 for him.

Refreshingly, it was sit/stand wherever you like and feel free to move around the ground as the mood takes you. First stop was the club bar 2 pints and a half for only just over a fiver-unbelievable. For those that wanted to it was possible to stand in an area in front of the clubhouse and have a few beers even during the match. Food was also very good. Really meaty burgers produced and cooked by local farm staff.

Managed to get what were probably the best seats in the house , half way line at the back of a temporary seating area . A bit rickety and the seats were a bit small but good enough.

Anyway , to the football. Given this was my first match of the season I am struggling to work out who is who-not helped by the program having players names but no numbers and the announcer's inability to pronounce any none Cornish names. First half was pretty forgettable - the pitch was hard and a bit bobbly which led to lots of misplaced passes and the ball spent more time in the air than on the deck. Argyle failed to create any meaningful chances and Dorel only had one save to make.

Numerous changes at half time brought about a significant improvement. Argyle played far better and started to really threaten so it was no surprise when Simpson finished well into the bottom corner on 69 mins. 2 mins later a a really good goal from new boy David Ijaha who used his significant power to burst through from midfield and lay the ball off to Donaldson(?) who returned the favour and Ijaha finished with a flying header. We could easily have had a couple more.

Not sure how much I learnt about things to come but it will sure be interesting to see how it all comes together:-

Just a few thinks that stood out for me:-

Dorel- doesn't instill me with confidence but is loud and could be entertaining to watch(if he gets any starts).
    Songo(half time sub)- is very powerful and is as good a header of the ball I have seen for a while.
    Rooney (about 70 mins played) was the pick in the first half-the pitch didnt help him
    Spencer- looks like he has a good finish on him
    Ijaha-see above, impressed tonight.
    Jervis-spent most of the match looking bemused and also had a row with one of our defenders in the first half.
    GoodWillie-interesting to see if he has any disciplinary problems -he certainly got stuck in tonight and will be a crowdpleaser.

Also good to see River Allen and Rory Fallon playing for Truro. Fallon hasn't improved with age and is probably at the correct level.

Above all, a very pleasant evening well hosted by friendly Truro staff-expect they were pleased by the additional revenue the crowd of 1002 will have brought.

That's me until WBA at home.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thank you lyndhurst professional as always. Get the food bit in first though.....

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Excellent report Lyndhurst, as I swelter in the sticky July heat, Lewis Hamilton triumphs at Silverstone and England collapse at Lord's, it allows me to imagine the football season is just around the corner. No, wait a minute, it is. I'd better get the Luton tickets organised.

I think the restauarant style guide is a very good idea. Please see A. A. Gill In the Sunday Times for the required style. I've never read anyone more insulting.

PS Did I miss something out of my list of summer sports? Was there a tennisball tournament recently?

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Yes NDG there was a man called Murray and then there was that farce in France when England turned up!! apart from that the weather is good and the season is soon here... :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl: The other half wont be pleased :emoticon-0147-emo:

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mine will be chuffed as a badger's bollox. She can't wait to get me out of the house even if it's once a fortnight.