1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VAR vote

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spurf, May 17, 2024.

?

How would you respond in a vote on VAR?

Poll closed May 31, 2024.
  1. Keep.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Scrap

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Keep but change rules/people

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Just keep fully automated off sides and goal lines.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Something else, explain.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Ange would scrap it. Klop would scrap it? What would you do?

Keep, Scrap, Keep it but modify how it's used? Change the rules of football to suit VAR? Just keep fully automated checks and leave all 'opinion' decisions to the ref.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I would scrap it.

I was initially someone who I wouldn’t say wanted VAR but was certainly open to the idea of it but now that’s been in play for 4-5 years, I think it’s brought more controversy instead of relieving it and I feel it’s significantly sucked the enjoyment out of football for fans, especially those in stadiums. I hate that the notion that benefit of the doubt doesn’t seem to apply to decisions, whether that’s been for or against Spurs, to need more than 20 seconds to determine if someone is offside and ruling it as such when the margin is millimetres (and still not conclusive) I just find ridiculous. Goals are the game’s currency and VAR has been seemingly doing its best to strip us of them.

I would rather be on the end of a human error in the heat of the moment than see someone with technology and time still make the wrong or questionable call.

maggie blanchflower likes this.
  3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Completely agree. I maybe could be persuaded to have fully auto technology for off sides and goal lines but over all I would rather go back to the ref based system and accept the mistakes. Perhaps we should look at how to improve their training, Pierluigi Collina proved it is possible to be almost perfect. Is he such a genius and a one off or can we improve the standards of all refs. They could start by being consistent.

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd keep it, but change the whole approach and the people using it.
    It works fine in other countries and other competitions.
    Weaponised incompetence has intentionally sabotaged it here.

5. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

The PL does seem to have more problems with VAR than other leagues which suggests user-error if the systems are the same.

On the face of it, VAR should still be a workable process that eliminates or at least reduces claims of bias by on-field officials and identifies the most ridiculous of human errors.

However, the rules as they currently stand cause more confusion that they solve. Or at least the officials interpretation of them do.

So for me I'd keep VAR but only with fully automated offsides (as planned) and a time limit on reviews of 30 seconds, maybe a minute at most. If something is not 'clear and obvious' by then - and the technology hasn't improved sufficiently to consider longer examination - I would suggest that the original decision should stand.

Having said all that, I agree with Spurf that if Collina could be cloned, then 19 refs of his quality available every weekend would be a preferable option.

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

There's a very simple reason why VAR doesn't work in the Premier League

please log in to view this image

When someone who can be guaranteed to drop a bollock when refereeing a match is in charge of VAR, the odds are they will drop a bollock there too - meaning it's possible to be in a situation where you get a dropped bollock squared

7. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

Scrap it for offside matters but retain it for foul play etc.

8. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

Or at least put a 20 second rule in place for offsides to determine only those that are clearly offside and not measure toes.

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  9. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

The technology isn`t accurate enough to be making toenail offside decisions, so that needs to change for a start. The biggest problem is the clowns implementing it, none of them can be trusted to make consistent decisions, two different clowns will give different decisions for identical incidents, some of it is incompetence, some of it is bottling giving decisions against certain clubs / managers and some of it is being swayed by the current media narrative. Add all that together and you get the shiete show that we have.

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Before abandoning it, I'd like to have it operated in the full glare of all games seeing the VAR official and referee's communications being on an open mic. Let's see how many indefensible and ludicrous decisions survive that process.

I reckon that the numbers would tumble, if those involved had to justify whatever reasoning they use. If it's still as ****, bin it until we have better officials. The current lot are bent, hopeless or both.

12. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

If it stays the Arsene Wenger idea should be used for Offside , clear daylight between players, not to be judged if a player has cut his toenails the night before but overall I would like to see it gone for offside
    Use the foul play aspect only if the replays are in actual time ,slowing down the action makes an incident 10 times worse
    The only bit of technology that has improved the game is the goal line tech in my opinion

Spurf and Diego like this.
  13. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Which involves no human input.

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I really disagree with this. The Wenger offside just moves where the line will be drawn.
    You'll still get the same extremely marginal calls, they'll just be in a different place.

15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Any offside rule will be a line decision where the officials will not be as accurate as a TV replay. Even VAR is nowhere near precise enough to measure closer than a few cm so any claim that mm matter is factually wrong.

16. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I think it's good. The line will be drawn where there is a small advantage to the attacking team. As it should be. The marginal calls will be in a more realistic place.

The Changing Man and KingHotspur like this.
  17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I agree, if we are going to continue with VAR then the current offsides by such small margins turns the game inside out. Football is an action game and to treat it like chess is daft. Creating positions to shoot at goal is the point and to negate such efforts because of mm is such a downer to the spirit of football.
    The offside rule was to prevent goal hanging and enable defences to function properly. The current offsides are like pulling rabbits from hats.

18. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

If you can't tell it's offside by watching a still image and slowed down images then a goal should be awarded.

NO ONE complained when these goals were allowed prior to VAR.

The complaints were about clear and obvious incorrect decisions

Spurf and littleDinosaurLuke like this.
  19. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I think VAR highlights how many of football’s laws are incompatible with technology. Offside and handball laws are sensible, but when applied in such a restrictive way, they rightly draw ridicule. It’s like trying to enforce speeding laws by using camera footage to prosecute those driving at 30.1 mph. It doesn’t allow for any margin of error. And even worse than that, VAR requires some degree of subjective human input. When exactly did the pass leave the player’s foot; what was the intention when the ball struck the hand? In any other scenario, these kind of impossibly marginal decisions would be dismissed as unreliable and undesirable. So why have them in football?

20. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

It is accurate, but the offside rule was never intended to be applied at that level of precision.