1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bristol City

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 31, 2024.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Almost every time I look at tyhe next fixture I see XYZ United strike a bit of form. So Bristol get a result against Leicester last time out. This one is a sort of Derby game for us in this league. Not that I see Bristol either City or Rovers being particularly that. But any edge will do when you are chasing your arse. Apparently the Ref for this game is experienced. That will make a bleddy change then because the ones we have had for numerous games so far have been a complete joke. I was looking at the number of penalties various teams have been awarded this season in league one not long ago. Shock Portsmouth led the list. Just looked up Championship out of curiosity and guess who is top.....Leicester with 12, Leeds 7 Southampton 5. We have been awarded 1 along with several others in the relegation race. So, where is this "it will even out" fairy and when will they get down this far in the Country. We know we can win games and can win this one but is it time for a "Homer" to give us a lift for once.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't like to win because the referee was a homer.......hold on a minute.....hmmm......maybe I'll change that to.........YOU BET I WOULD.......we need a few points at the moment.......what's you poison Ref.....I'll buy you a pint or three if it helps......and we'll have a quick whip around to just help you decide that that is a HOME PENALTY.....and that tackle down the other hand isn't.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's not just the penalties though is it? They seem to think that we're some team of lower league cloggers and we only got here by kicking people. Those who've been in the Premier League, even if only ever so briefly and very long ago, are on the other hand sporting aristocrats. Therefore our fouls are much worse than theirs, if they ever commit any, entirely by accident of course.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was using the penalty stats as an example only really but basically my complaint is that Refs definately favour the so called "bigger" clubs and that stat demonstrates that to a degree. It has been a complaint in the Prem League for years and not so much spoken about below that. Now though I think it is becoming a thing or always has been and we haven't particularly noticed before.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A good day to turn our home form around....recent home results have helped Argyle become the worse home defence in the league....giving away 33 goals.

6. notDistantGreen

Four at the back. Back to how we started the season.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-0...Bristol C...H/T.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-1...Bristol C.

Wells 57mins.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-1...Bristol C...F/T.

Another significant nail in Argyle's coffin.

Sheffield W the only other bottom team not to score points today.

Yet another home game without scoring.

It is surely written in the stars that Argyle are doomed.

Now 21st and only 1pt above a relegation spot.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I cannot see Foster turning this around....and I cannot see Foster being capable of doing better in Div One next season.

We probably cannot afford to pay him off....but pay him off we need to do.....to let someone else have six games to scrape enough points together to keep us up if possible.

It seems we've never gone 5 consecutive home games without scoring before.... from what I've read on pasoti.

11. notDistantGreen

Another dire result leading to more calls at the end for Foster to go, although the players were clapped of.

Things started well and Argyle were much the better side for the first 30 or 35 minutes without making the killer chance.

With the benefit of recent experience, I started to worry that if we didn’t score before half time the second half would be different. We didn’t and it was. I believe City brought on a second striker and perhaps that was the reason but whatever it was, we struggled.

Devine, who’d looked a bit better in the first half in a midfield rather than No 10 role was wrongly sent off for a second yellow triggered by one of the very rubber-legged City players. The upside of that is that he can’t play next time out. Harsh I know but he’s just not ready for this level of football.

Dark days.

12. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

FOSTER HAS GONE

13. Greenarmyjoe

No More Foz Ball, warnock on route

14. notDistantGreen

The Telegraph is saying he’s about to go.

15. Greenarmyjoe

he has been sacked an hour ago

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If this is right then it is not really a surprise but then is a surprise given it is Argyle. We don't do this sort of thing do we even if we should. Confusing isn't it.

As for the game today we had to score in the first 30 minutes or so when we were well on top and bossing the game. We didn't which is the story of our season begrudgingly since Schumaker left. The players gave everything today and you can't really fault the effort made. In the last 15 minutes or so they looked absolutely fecked. Can't blame the Ref today and to be fair am fed up listening to Foster and his normal speil after another loss. It ain't looking good is it.

17. notDistantGreen

I feel sorry for Foster. We weren’t pulling up trees before Christmas but a good home record meant we were doing OK.

Then Schumacher left and we had a bad transfer window, partly due to forces beyond our control. I doubt Foster had much input in it if any but we were left weakened.

Could a more experienced manager have made it work? We’ll never know.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't feel sorry for him particularly. If brutally honest I actually don't think he has much of a clue about Management at all. It was/is a poor appointment by the Board and am not sure what he brought to the interview that got him here. He doesn't sound inspired, doesn't look inspiring and the players don't look inspired by him. Their heads dropped visibly today in my opinion and some of them look a shaddow of their former selves. I still say they gave it everything though but what was lacking was inspiration.

19. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Hope you guys stay up.

20. notDistantGreen

By the way, I nearly ran Freddie Issaka over as I left the car park. That’s the second time I be seen him using the public car park.

We’ve got loanees just a few months older than him starting regularly. What’s he got to do to get 20 minutes at the end when we need a goal?