1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bristol City

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 31, 2024.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Thanks, appreciated. We’re better than you saw today or at least we were up until Christmas. I fear we’ll need more than good wishes to stay up at this rate.

2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I honestly thought you played ok. I didn’t want to say just in case you thought I was being condescending - which I genuinely am not - but for a large part of the first half you took the game to us. Gradually we started to get on top but at half time there was nothing between us.
    In the second half we made some changes which tbh I was a bit nervous about but it paid off - but only after your keeper made a great double save - he couldn’t make it a triple and Wells scored.
    For a while we looked in control but ironically after the sending off you came back into the game and frustrated us.
    I genuinely mean it when I say I hope you stay up - good luck - rumour has it you are after Warnock. He will keep you up.
    Good luck <cheers>

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just watched the video.....some of the Argyle shooting looked rather anaemic and half-hearted.

Not so sure about the sending off.

4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I thought the sending off was harsh.
    Not sure it was even a foul. A 50/50 is never clear.

Greenarmyjoe likes this.
  5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Before the new year Argyle where the top home scorers....ok we lost some key players who where recalled to their parent clubs during the window.....but how can we deteriorate at home to the extent of setting a new club record of not scoring at home in five successive matches.

I think we've just proved that a good youth coach doesn't mean you will be a good coach with senior players....your not playing against youth players in the Championship..... your playing against seasoned experienced players who can adapt their play to overcome the problems you set them.....and we brought in to many youngsters who always had a mistake ready to upset the apple cart.

6. notDistantGreen

We did start well: we went back to a back 4. We played a three in winning League 1 but we seem to need a 4 in this league and with this squad of players.

If we’d scored in that first 30 or 35 minutes we might have run away with it but regrettably, I think the players’ belief in themselves is low. That’s where you need a motivational manager. Do you know where we can get one?

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

well dewsnip has to take some blame, a joy for the england boy, trying to play away he did for england youth teams, not conceding not attacking.

Well hopefully dewsnip has a say in us staying up even if its on Goal difference we really need to stay up, iwas there again yesterday a bit tired but then i nearly fell a sleep .. we will survice .. just

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have to admit to being a bit surprised last night when this news broke. Be honest this isn't the current Argyle way is it and Hallett is much more thoughtful in his way of working and Argyle in general. I'm not sorry he has gone having said that. It is easy to be wise after the event and all the people who are jumping on the "I never wanted him anyway" bandwagon are being just that. Nobody can know how something will turn out until the story is told no matter how much they claim they did. As it turns out it was a mistake with this appointment. One of very few Hallett and the Board have made since they took over. Even now Hallett has resisted splashing cash we don't have in appointing somebody in a hurry. We cannot expect anyone other than Dewsnip and Nance and we should have known that would be one option or the only option should Foster go.

Apart from the odd sick day I go to pretty much every home game and have done now for years. The one thing that has stood out to me for the last 4 or 5 games is the way the players have looked and reacted. They went from a happy bunch who played with their heads up no matter what to a bunch that look like somebody has nicked all the chips and sauce and don't love them anymore. What kept us going even initially through the Schumaker saga was the way the players reacted to the fans and the fans gave their love back. With Foster's style and football this love in has sunk to new depths and nobody was happy on either side. The way the players visibly sank on Monday was stark for me. The reported reactions to the sacking from those associated with players says a lot about how the players themselves probably feel also says a lot. "Good" was apparently the general comment on social media. It was obvious that there was something wrong in the dressingroon. The biggest hope we have is that relief sets in and it reflects on the pitch although I still think the players gave what they could in games despite all. Will we stay up? Who knows but I do think it won't be for the lack of effort if we don't.

9. notDistantGreen

Mind you Sensible, up to the January transfer window and Foster's arrival, we had one of the best home records in the league.. At one point (approx), we'd scored more goals than all but the top 3.

We'd also conceded more than all but the bottom 3, mind you, and were awful away from home, but at least there was something to be cheerful about.

10. notDistantGreen

And of course, despite our failings away from home, we were tucked up safely in mid-table going into Christmas.

11. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

those were the days :emoticon-0104-surpr:emoticon-0104-surpr