1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Versus Bristol Rovers FC

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by lyndhurstgreen, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1-0 down.... Lines 12 minutes.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

PAFC fail to clear the ball and concede a free kick on edge of their own box. Rovers score directly from the free kick.

3. notDistantGreen

Matthews perhaps trying to disprove Sensible's comment that goal keeper injuries have made no difference. Free kick went in on his side and now loses the ball close to his own box whilst trying to clear. He gets away with it.

4. notDistantGreen

Ness equalises with a header from Carey cross. Then Songo'o gets done again and Rovers retake the lead. PAFC not playing well at all.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-2 H/T.

6. notDistantGreen

Defence playing badly and Songo'o in particular being targeted as qa weakness by Rovers.

7. notDistantGreen

No changes at halftime. In fairness to Adams, he hasn't got a CB with pace to bring on.....

8. notDistantGreen

Just restarted. Penalty to PAFC

9. notDistantGreen

Saved from Lameiras. Then PAFC score from an OG from a Ness cross!

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

BBC give the goal to Ness on 48 minutes.

11. notDistantGreen

Second penalty to PAFC. Who takes it?

12. notDistantGreen

Carey scores. 3:2

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

CAREY.....CAREY.....CAREY.....PENALTY.....3-2.....85 minutes.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

3-2 F/T.....COYG.

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Seemed hell of a game on text commentary. COYG.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Great end result....from what I've read (waiting for reports from those that went} a battling win by an Argyle not playing at their best.
    Critical comments about Songo'o as a central defender, especially on his left foot....always has a cock-up waiting to happen....plays better in front of the back four....but with important injuries/illnesses to our regular central defenders someone has to play there.
    Concerning reports today of Matthews having an off day and being lucky at times...especially getting a ricochet that could of ended in the net.
    Ness played well, scoring two goals for a man that we were being told might be out for the season....sounds as if he nearly got a hat-trick....long time since we had one of those.
    Lameiras took over the penalty duties and wasn't to confident about it by what I've read......good job we scored our second soon after to erase the miss. Carey then returned to put the second one away.
    Not much mention of Taylor today....I assume he got short change from their defence.
    Great to win such games ....and great results for us from those around us...Charlton drew, Scunthorpe and Peterborough both lost, strengthening our 6th position.
    Only 1pt behind Scunthorpe with a game in hand....some great games coming up and our fate is in our own hands.

To play.
    Charlton....away.....9th.
    Southend .....home.....13th.
    Scunthorpe.....away.....5th.
    Peterborough.....home.....7th.
    Portsmouth.....home.....8th.
    Northampton.....away.....21st.
    Rotherham.....home.....4th.
    Gillingham.....away.....12th.
    Plus the Rochdale postponed game....their 23rd.....with games in hand....they'll be knackered time they play us.

We do well against higher clubs and cock up at times against strugglers.
    We could finish 5th the way things stand at the moment.
    Just need to get some more first choice players back....especially in central defence.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  17. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Where do you bleddy start with this one? I have yet to come across anyone who actually knows how Argyle came away with 3 points from this one. It was a messy game rather than a Messi one in terms of well played football but it was end to end and could have ended with either or neither getting the spoils.

It was for me very 50/50 until they scored in the 12th. Thing is though the player who got fouled was a mile offside when he came back from goal with the ball and was judged to have been fouled so the free kick should never have been. Lino was useless all day and never gave a decision on anything. I said to son when they were taking the kick that this was going to be 1 - 0 and sure enough the thing came true. Argyle then began to press and were rewarded with a deft header into the back of the net. Songo was having a bit of a mare if truth be told and he got the wrong side of their No.9 who gave our defence a torrid time all day. His only trouble was he got to fall over very easily very often. Not one to endear himself to home fans. Songo got the wrong side of him and it was 2 - 1. He celebrated in front of the Devonport and lyndhurst being very provocative. Not even spoken to when he should have been booked. No need for it. Half time and it did look like we were in trouble.

Second half started and it was obvious a rocket had been inserted and the fuse lit. Argyle pressed a lot and we were awarded a pretty soft penalty if I'm honest. Lameiras lined it up and it was saved. Sorry folks but I think that was a bit of justice. A couple of minutes later whilst still going for it we drew level thanks to an own goal in my opinion. I don't think Ness's shot was going anywhere near the net. Take that and move on. The game then became pretty scrappy and it could easily have gone either way. We got a corner and Songo was fouled off the ball. Absolutely no doubt about it he WAS fouled with possibly fingers in his eye or at least face. Second penalty and Carey steps up this time. Whilst Songo was receiving treatment their players stamped on the pen spot, scrapped boots over it and generally acted like prats. Carey was saying to Lameiras this is how you do it and it was never in doubt. We hung on.

My only criticism of Bristol was how easily they fell over at time and a couple of time dived so blatantly that they ought to have been booked. They weren't. Despite two penalties I thought the Ref today was very poor. Very weak and definately not a homer. Excellent 3 points in the end although a bit surprised we got them.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sonny Bradley was at the match today and revealed that he will start training again on Monday.

19. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One thing I didn't mention was the unrest in the crowd today. The dick brains in both sides were determined to kick off and near the end both sets tried to get at each other. Stewards etc did well enough to keep them apart. Worse still though was when I had left the ground and was walking down towards the Barn Park entrance to the park. About 10 people decided to have a ruck and punches were being thrown left and right. Teenagers you might ask? Not a bit of it they were all well past teenage and my guess is at least 4 of them were gone 60. Fortunately the rest of the people walking down ignored them totally and at least didn't get involved apart from the odd comment about them being dick heads. It's a game of football for christ sake what is the matter with people.

20. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Pretty much agree with everything above. Remi had a particularly dozey game but has publicly admitted it wasn't his best performance. He has won us plenty of points this season so am sure it was only a 'off day'. Yann was, well, Yann. Some fairly hapless pieces of defending followed by some outstanding blocks - especially in the second half. I actually thought the ref did okay-our first pen was 'soft' but otherwise I didn't think he was too bad. Ness for me was MOTM by a country mile,- I must be correct because the Gaffer agreed with me (for once)!
    Far from a good football match but high on excitement. Pity the extra revenue from the bumper crowd will be eaten up by the Police bill, and unfortunately the events in the 2nd half will justify having such a large segregation area (which reduces the capacity by about 1000).
    Funniest bit for me was Zak Vyner 'giving it large' to the rovers fans just before he disappeared down the tunnel-he is an absolutely top bloke(not for this) and if I was allowed to, I would stake good money that he will play in the Prem.

A huge 3 points - lots of hard work still to do, but I think we have a reasonable chance of finishing top 6, and who knows after that!