1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Hull

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

CONGRATULATIONS to all at PAFC....All the management....All the players....All the ground staff....You had to work through some moments of difficulty....Schumacher jumping ship....Some staff going with him.....The lose of key loan players.....the disaster of Ian Foster....and the struggle of picking yourself up from so many disappointments....Well done everybody.

We also thank Wayne Rooney for helping us with his management of Birmingham for a period this season.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Well that was a tense old afternoon. Continuing the better performance (if not result) against Millwall after the ****show against Stoke, Argyle started the better with Bundu in particular proving a handful for Hull. Of course, being Argyle, Bundu had to be subbed off at 38 minutes and the fear started to creep in.

But just 2 minutes later, Joe Edwards who was Captain Fantastic throughout, scored with a back post header. When your right wing-back gets around to the back post in free play and from his relatively low 5ft 8 altitude scores a header, you know he's playing a blinder.

After half-time, the news got out that Birmingham were winning. I'm not quite sure where Hull stood at that point but they certainly never stopped trying.

We're still well off our best with Whittaker a shadow of the player we saw pre-Christmas. Still, the job's done with a good performance under the pressure-cooker circumstances. Per ardua ad astra.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been reading the pages of adoration for Joe Edwards....Mr Argyle...on pasoti....who they reckon deserves a statue....and who they reckon will never have to buy a pint again.

They also reckon that Foster told him that he had no future at Argyle as a player or a coach and he should look for another club....if that's so... then I can't see Foster ever getting a managerial job again.

Dan Scarr...Bali Mumba...Ashley Phillips...Mustapha Bundu (whilst on) and Michael Cooper had good reports as well.....I would think most of the team did well today.

4. notDistantGreen

Nobody had a bad game. They all gave everything they had. I thought Mumba was as good as he was last season. Dan Scarr, who seemed to be in the wilderness, was a rock.

But Joe Edwards stood out. He worked like a Trojan, flew into tackles, got forward, scored the goal and orchestrated the crowd to ever greater volume. Absolutely magnificent. Anyone that can't see that Joe Edwards is a born coach or manager is blind.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That was the longest second half of a football match that I have ever sat through. I couldn't help but keep looking at the scoreboard clock and I swear to god it went backwards at least a couple of times. MOM today was indeed Joe Edwards and not just because he scored the only goal. He was here he was there he was every feckin where. Contrary to that Whittaker was poor. I thought he looked disinterested for most of the game. Spent his time falling down and not getting anything then not getting up or chasing back. I believe he has played his last game for the Greens. Take the money and run Argyle. Mumba had his best game for a long time. Pretty much all of them did with that one exception but as notdistant points out job done and we stay in this league. That goal from Joe was a £10m effort when you think about it.

I do hope that chap from Hull gets home safely without being in a fight with a bearded sailor or catching his daily dose. Perhaps see him again next season then.

6. notDistantGreen

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

CONGRATULATIONS <cracker><cracker><cracker><bubbly>

8. notDistantGreen

Thank you Ron. It’s been a rollercoaster of a season - fairly comfortable ups until Christmas, then an implosion and now thinking about it this morning, a really good performance yesterday in the toughest of circumstances. I have no fingernails left though!

9. notDistantGreen

Post-match interviews with Neil Dewsnip, Nance and Joe Edwards, which are free-to-air. I'm not sure if they are usually available without a subscription.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/video/player/0_7y4ycn5y?feed=c8088d77-6df0-4c3d-89ca-c6b…

They are worth watching for one quote from Joe Edwards. He's asked, given the players went to Las Vegas after promotion last season, what they'll be doing this year. He explains with the outcome uncertain, nothing has been arranged so it will just be drinks on the Barbican. He then says "we'll save Las Vegas for the next promotion". Full marks for ambition!

10. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Congratulations

11. notDistantGreen

Oh dear, look what we did...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cz7420r56d4o

He signed a 3 year deal only in December. Normally I'd be saying that's a terrible way to run a football club... and so it is really.... but then came Ian Foster, who if scuttlebutt is correct, did indeed ostracise members of the squad he inherited in favour of untried kids.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Strewth...That's a little harsh .
    Voted in top three managers...?

13. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

He may come to us now .. its a plan .. i thought he was a good manager and done well played good football with what i seen until they met us ..

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'd take a punt on him. Bring it on.

15. Greenarmyjoe

for sure a good suit for us score plenty of goals also .. i thought he done well..

16. notDistantGreen

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If that is the owners desire to have attacking football.....and Liam Resenior doesn't produce that style....then he ain't the man for us.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I read that last night and thought what bollox. Hull hardly won matches 1 - 0 or lost them the same all the time. I thought they were attacking enough in the dlast game but we were just better on the day. Owners are no better than the rest of us supporters. We all think we know better but most of the time just talk crap with our hearts rather than brain. I would still take a punt on Rosenior if he would come here.

19. Greenarmyjoe

Well i thought he was ok and they attacked in the games i saw them, against ipswich. leeds wba but not us they sat back and got a shock. i suppose the owner told him what he wanted,, hopefully our owner doidnt tell Fozzy what he wanted or we are in for another boring manager., i would like to see the attaching style and fast game as pre xmas .. we shall wait and see im just pleased we are still in the championship..

20. notDistantGreen

We were better on the day... that's the point. You can blame their manager for that, but then, we were better than I thought we'd be TBH.

They finished 7th and ahead of them are Leeds, Leicester and Southampton, all with parachute money plus West Brom, Norwich and Ipswich. West Brom were in the EPL as recently as 20-21 and Norwich in 21-22. It's tough opposition isn't it?