1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Northampton

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 19, 2017.

1. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Excellent win, decent performance , Northampton were woeful (but you can only play whats in front of you). Two goals from Sonny broke the Tuesday night jinx-had he scored a third he would have been the first Argyle player to score a hatrick on a Tuesday night since 1957. Good individual performances from everyone.Good ref, whats not to like?

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Firstly great result and badly needed. Argyle played well enough to win this and never really looked in doubt result wise.

The above is the good news but I really don't think we can get carried away with this. Northampton were head and shoulders the worst team to have visited us this season so far. They managed little and actually looked like us in other matches at times. We did what we had to do without any of it looking convincing or pretty. When we reached the dizzy heights of 2 - 0 up we seemed not to know what to do so we retreated to our usual defensive mode. They though couldn't put any sort of move together to break that down and every ball that hit somebody seemed to be one of their's and it went out of play for us. That is the looked like us bit. No luck no matter what they tried.

For me the MOM for this game was Jervis who gave his usual 100% performance with effort . Others were not too shabby but nobody stood out as a match winner despite Bradley's goals . Thought Carey was again hot and cold and lots of things could have gone better for him. He was marked closely however. Fox was the same. Competent is the word I would use for most of the performances except Sarcevic. I thought he was woeful all game. He does not look fit.

Right result without us getting too carried away with it. There is a long way to go before the confidence is high. Other results were ok too so good evening for a tuesday and yes the hoodoo seems to be broken at last.

3. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Forgot about the game last night but had a cowardly look at the result this morning. .....Phew!

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Reading the comments around the boards the synopsis seems to be....phew we've found a team worse than us.

Predicting results can be so difficult....for instance...we win at Blackburn....our ten men get well beaten by Oxford.....Oxford soon end up 3-0 down at home to Blackburn,salvaging a 4-2 defeat in the end....but how do you judge "form"....I expect that's why you don't see too many bookmakers begging on the streets.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think you can judge Oxford on their game against us. They were gifted time and space by the referee early on and were simply ruthless.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

And up to half time and a bit beyond it looked as though we'd get something even with 10 men. It was only when the second one went in that things started to drop to bits.

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

And one thing I've meant to say for a while... it's often said in the circumstances of 1-0 down and a man sent off that you might as well give it a go, as losing 4-0 is no different to losing 1-0. Well that's what we did for half an hour or so but then the wheels came off and we we lost 4-0!

8. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Those three extra goals against might matter at the end of season....at the moment our goals against means we need an extra point tp compensate.