1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Oxford

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 12, 2023.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It seems to get worse and worse with the Refs they give us. The one for Tuesday has worse stats than the one we have just slated. This one has issued 93 yellows and 7 (seven) reds in 23 games this season. Should I just stop getting wound up by the officials and chill a bit or should I continue to be worried?

So, we are back on track form wise and Oxford aren't so there is a formula for disaster. No, only kidding. I really am not worried who we play now. We seem to be able to get something out of a game whoever they are this season . I'm backing us to continue the trend and say we can win this one. Not easily but win it nonetheless.

COYG

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

But the ref on Saturday was the reverse... I know they try to let the game flow but he ignored some pretty bad challenges.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It wasn't what his stats showed notdistant. He was suposed to be another card happy chappie. I commented on my write up of the game. He was pants and then kept up with his reputation and started on the cards at the death. This one could be yet another from the same bin.

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Burton, Gillesphey, Wilson, Butcher, Hardie, Cosgrove, Mumba, Azaz, Lonwijk, Earley, Matete.

Subs
    Parkes, Bolton, Houghton, Edwards, Mayor, Waine, C Wright.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

...........................................................................Burton

............................Lonwijk.................................Wilson.............................Gillesphey

..........Mumba.....................Matete.....................................Butcher...................................Earley

............................................................................Azaz

...................................Cosgrove..................................................Hardie

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Watched this one at Son's place. Firstly it has to be said that it was p*** poor as a spectacle and the football was mostly kick something and see. Oxford started brightly and were definately on top when we scored the first. Not that it came completely against the run of play mind as it was a bit rush end to end stuff. One or two of our players had what you would call a definately average game and one or two bordering on poor. I include Burton in that who in my humble opinion should have comfortably saved their goal. He looked a bit nervous all game if honest. Lonwijk gave a stupid free kick away on the edge of the box and his performance tonight was one of those bordering poor. Second half and it was not any better. Both teams looked like scoring until they couldn't really create much as an end product. Step up Earley and he makes it 2 - 1 to us with about 30 minutes including extra to go. We then proceeded to give the ball away as often as we could rather than play any keep ball. Hoof and rush springs to mind. However, once it hit extra time it was time for Hardie to do a repeat of Saturday and pop in number 3. It looks on paper like a comfortable win but it was painful to watch and was far from that. Just a word for the Ref. He bafled me at times by letting stuff go and then blowing for other things. He did his bit though by well keeping up his card tally. Think it was 7 yellows altogether even though it was far from a dirty game. We won which is the main thing so onwards and upwards we go. Most of the other games went as expected I think although I haven't done a full look through. Except Ipswich once more who couldn't beat the Gas. Another 2 points gained on them and believe they are now 4th.

8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Pretty scrappy but the right result. At least, that's the story of the second half, which is all I saw due to technical difficulties. A poor pitch may have contributed and so may Oxford’s high press.

Their goal was a horror show for Burton. He must have been expecting the obvious high curler over the wall into the right top corner as he looked at it, whereas it was struck low around the wall to Burton’s left. Perhaps there should have been a sentry defender a few paces to the left of the wall but there wasn’t and it’s just what Burton wouldn’t have wanted.

Not pretty but 3 points and with Ipswich only getting a draw, it’s us and Wednesday to slog it out now.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So the result more important than the quality tonight.....I'll take that.

Oxford...1-3...Plymouth A

Brannagan ...44mins

Butcher...19mins.....Earley...65mins.....Hardie...90+3mins.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the video.

Poor defending from Burton for their equalizer....reaction from some defenders suggested they felt the same.....we've been spoilt by Michael Cooper keeping those out.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I read a very good post on pasoti earlier. It said "I don't expect Burton to be as good as Michael Cooper I just want him to be the best Callum Burton he can be". Truth is we have been spoiled for this season but whoever took over from Cooper was going to be less than he was. It isn't fair to judge Burton on Cooper's performances. He will make mistakes as all keepers do including Cooper if we take our blinkers off. I do agree though about the Argyle defenders and their reaction. I commented at the time when several put their hands on their heads in one of those pleading gestures which is too late. Burton will get better the more he plays.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If any judging needs doing then wait till he has played ten games.....and he knows the defence and they know him.......then we'll know if he will pass muster.