1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Peterborough

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 23, 2023.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So what do you reckon folks. Has our form dropped off and are we about to see an Argyle slide? Our latest couple of performances have been a bit less than brilliant. Everyone and their dog seems to think we will fade. Well I'm not so sure so still think we can win this one.

COYG

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

COYG it is then..i will be watching from a far..

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe because we're using a rotating squad style to protect against overplaying certain players.....we have ended up with an unsettled first eleven..... and because it is always changing the familiarity has suffered.

We must not get complacent because we seem to have a good buffer ahead of whoever is in third place.

May be there is a time to rotate and a time to stick with first choices and cross our fingers and hope that players stay fit and in form.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

There are several factors:
    1. Luck - if an early goal is scored it’s easier but recently we haven’t had much luck in the final third.
    2. Other teams now fear us and play to stop us. That wasn’t the case early in the season. At least we now have options.
    3. Injuries - yes, we have a bigger squad but there are still key players. As I said elsewhere, although Ennis and Azaz played on Tuesday, they weren’t at their usual excellent best. It may take time for sharpness as opposed to mere fitness to recover. For me, Randell also.
    4. Allied to that, the Whittaker factor. No point in saying otherwise.
    Will all that defeat us? I think we’ll definitely make the play-offs with the big points advantage we have. We can certainly play better than we have in the last few games, even in those we won.

If we can get beyond the Barnsley game on 12th March and still be in the hunt, we’ve got the run-in to finish in style. Let’s hope Wembley isn’t a distraction!

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've been reading a lot from the would be Managers on pasoti over the past couple of weeks and some of it I find a bit amusing. Take last season. We faded at the death of the season due mainly to the fact we had a small squad and people got injured at the wrong times for us. No depth in the team was a very very common complaint. This season though the club have invested in a few extra bodies and most if not all seemed to make the approval of the masses. Now, having acquired the extra bodies there is a complaint that they are being used. Call that rotation if you like. I would have to ask which is it then. A small squad and a settled 11 with the prayers that nobody will get cropped or a bigger squad which was bayed for previously and changing players around to both cover injury and rest. What would they do......... Either we trust Schuey as the professional Manager of we don't. Which is it?

6. notDistantGreen

I agree with you Sensible. Not only does it keep players fitter and sharper but we now have more tactical flexibility than we did. This is important because some try to stop us with a high press, when we need to go long, and others sit back.

It seems to be a happy squad and they all understand they can’t play every week. As long as it doesn’t become rotation for rotation’s sake…

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Sensible, i dont think we will fade this time, everyone is together. Players are happy at the way they get used .
    We will go up automatically, even a point tomorrow is not a bad result up there. but i have a feeling we will be good enough to do them

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not really expecting a fade wither Joe if honest but having been an Argyle faithful for so many years it's sometimes hard not to half expect something to go wrong. I think we can get a result anywhere this season on our day.

9. Greenarmyjoe

i agree sensible , on the road we wlook good as well as at home. there will be twists and turns along the way, i have been to a few games away and its very good the atmosphere also ,, friends are going today buit im off to see my son as its his birthday tomorrow ..

I still think nio matter the result today we will be going up ..

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Have a good time with your lad Joe.....more important than even Argyle.

Congratulations on all the tireless effort you have put in to give him the best living accommodation possible even though the mileage is high for you....well done....how you getting on with the NHS ?

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.....................................................................Burton

.......................Lonwijk................................Wilson................................Gillesphey

...........Mumba.......................Matete........................Butcher...........................Earley

...................................................................C Wright

.............................Cosgrove...........................................................Hardie

Subs
    Parkes, Bolton, Houghton, Edwards, Mayor, Ennis, Azaz.

12. Greenarmyjoe

Thanks Plym.

Yes its tiring but i spend more time in london now than devon, Just spent 6 days in Russel sQuare as he was in Great Ormond St.. so all worth it.

All on going still, covid delayed things.. no rush. He is in the best place possible so im happy even tho its a lot of milage. i get to see london and lots sport also ,,

Hope your ok , I gues s your getting ready for the Pizza final .. if im up that weekend i may go along . so may catch up with you for the beer you owe me

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Gonna be a long afternoon again. one down to a penalty.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Even longer now. Two down.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just checked and see that ALL if the chasing teams plus Sheff W are winning.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Wow now 2 - 1. Earley.

17. notDistantGreen

Schumacher didn't mess about but made two early substitutions, which seem to have stopped the rot in the run up to half time. Not all lost yet.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

web-page not working.....been 45+3 mins for ages

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1...H/T

Clarke-Harris...16mins (pen).
    Kyprianou...19mins.

Earley...36mins......He is having a mare....then he scores ?

Being hard going.....Schumacher makes changes...Azaz and Mayor on.....Butcher and C Wright off....changed to a back four....bringing a change and a goal.

20. notDistantGreen

Just the 5-2 Plym, bet you wish the site still wasn't working.