1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Versus QPR

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 7, 2024.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well here we go again with the next "we must not lose this or else the World will end" game. I'm more interested in the weather forecast for Tuesday night which is bloody awful again. You will never guess so I will tell you it's for wind and rain. Of course it is. We can win this one of course we can but the results lately have been a wee bit all over the place. Why is it that a Team can't win a bleddy thing for a whole load of games and suddenly when threatened come up with a winning formula. Apart from Rotherham they have all had their moments recently. One thing for sure the boys will be up for it I think so that's half the battle.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good time to reverse our recent home form against QPR.....BBC weather forecast for Tuesday is a dry and sunny afternoon and a good evening in Plymouth.....so lets hope there right....and also hope we don't lose this one or else the world might end....which is probably more in the hands of Vladimir Putin than the result of a mere football match.

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

The football to me is more important than that buffoon in Russia, we cant control either so we sit and wait.. or for you Plym take shelter behind the sofa :emoticon-0162-coffe:emoticon-0162-coffe

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see that QPR are one of the away form teams unfortunately at the moment...which hopefully hasn't gone unnoticed by Argyle.

There last four away results.....

Bristol C...0-1...QPR
    Leicester...1-2...QPR
    Sunderland...0-0...QPR
    Swansea...0-1...QPR

So a win tonight will be very encouraging.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-0...QPR...H/T.

One shot on target between them....for Argyle.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...1-1...QPR...F/T.

Adomah...85mins OG..........Field...73mins.

Yet another home game without an Argyle player scoring ?

Still 2pts above a relegation place.....20th in table.

A win would have moved them up to 15th ?

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

First half on top couldn't score for toffees. Second half were lucky not to lose the game if honest. Good in spells until the vital part which is the shot and scoring. I have to be honest and say I didn't know it was an OG. I genuinely thought Bundu had the touch and it was right in front of where I sit. Obviously not then. QPR gave us a game and on balance a point wasn't that bad. Other results continue to be weird in this league at the minute. This will go to the wire.

8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

A point isn’t enough but we didn’t really deserve more overall.

Again we started well, probably again for the best part of 30 minutes but also again, it was without achieving enough real penetration and clear cut chances, let alone a goal. Crosses and dead balls got more and more erratic.

Of course, that’s when you need a bit of luck. If we’d have scored then, we’d have deserved it and perhaps we’d have gone on to cruise home.

But we didn’t score and whether Argyle belief faltered or QPR got better I don’t know but they eventually came back into the game until got the goal they deserved. They had the better chances for sure.

What I think may have been the biggest crowd of the season stuck with the players and certainly there’s no lack of effort. To play the same old record, I wish we’d be a bit more direct when we’re in the final third, particularly Bali Mumba, who’s got the pace to terrify any defence. We seem to be intent on making pass after pass until we lose it.

Nobody let themselves down, either in the starting 11 or the subs but it’s very frustrating because you know there’s a better Argyle than this in there. We know because we saw it earlier in the season. We know Ryan Hardie can score goals. Morgan Whittaker can do better. Mumba I’ve spoken about. There was enough spirit to drag ourselves back in contention after conceding, albeit it was by throwing caution to the wind and becoming pretty stretched at the back.

All I can say is Semper Fidelis. We may need to be.

9. notDistantGreen

PS I thought it was Bundu’s goal too.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Pass after pass suggests to me a lack of confidence to be the one to score....so pass it on to someone else.

There is hope against Leicester....they're struggling to get over the line.....who would have thought that they would lose at Millwall.

If we lose this game we could be in the bottom three come Saturday evening.

11. notDistantGreen

No we’ve always done it.

I don’t mean to pick on Bali Mumba because he works like a Trojan and he’s not the only one but he had a spell when he was devastating by cutting in onto his right foot.

Too often we get in good positions but end up with centre backs passing it square to each other 35 yards out with everyone marked.

Do you remember the goal he scored in the 6-2 over Norwich? He came into the box like a fireball and smashed it past the keeper. He needs to be made to watch that goal 10 times before every game. Yes, Bali, you are that good. Remember it. He talked the other day about having lost confidence. Was that under Foster or just not having scored for several games prior to Rotherham as he said? He also said he’s glad to back in a wing-back position, which he believes is his best. Under Foster, he was played as one of a front 3.

He contrasts with Morgan Whittaker. Sometimes he plays well, sometimes less so, so does everyone, but he doesn’t seem to lack confidence in his own ability.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So a one minute break during the match at sundown for Muslim players abiding to Ramadan rules to break their fast....fair enough.....but why do all the other players have to abide to a ruling that doesn't effect them.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  13. notDistantGreen

Because you can't expect a team to play with 10 men and I don't imagine the other 10 see something so fundamental to one of their team-mates as "not affecting them". It seems we have at least a couple of devout Christians in our squad, interestingly form the Afro-Caribbean community, and if the boot was on the other foot, do you seriously think that their Argyle team-mates would tolerate them being made to look like pariahs?

We expect all sections of the crowd to respect Armed Forces Day when some minorities might well feel that historically British forces were not a force for good in their ancestors lives. We also don't expect a ruckus when the National Anthem is sung.

You may be interested to know that nearly 17,000 football fans, not always regarded as being particularly well aligned to cultural sensitivity, treated the event with a high level of respect and there was also a low key round of applause when it ended.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reading pasoti many had no idea what was happening....some thought it was an injury break.

Ilias Chair is the known Muslim and maybe Asmir Begovic a Bosnian could be as well.

Ilias Chair a Belgium born Moroccan international is at present wanted back home in Belgium to serve a one year prison term for assaulting a man and fracturing his skull with a rock.....two year sentence one held back plus a financial fine.....not quite the peace and love that Muslims preach during Ramadan.

15. notDistantGreen

Their are bad apples in all communities.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Do you know something I was wondering when this subject would be brought up but not by who. The facts are that you were not there plymborn and therefore any stoppage did not affect you at all. The 17000 that were there had no problem with it whatsoever. The 22 players and 3 officials had no problem with it whatsoever. Apart from taking the opportunity to make a racist comment yet again why would you have a problem? It really is becoming very tiresome.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see no reason why a game should be stopped for such a reason.....a quick swig of water at the touchline will help break the fast....it isn't a complete fast anyway....you can drink and eat as much as you want between sundown and sunrise....they don't stop the game because it is time for prayers do they.

I cannot remember a TV match stopping for such a reason.....if so I've never noticed.

It could benefit your team if at the stoppage it takes the pressure off for awhile.

And of course the old tiresome racist shout was always inevitable from you sensiblegreeny yet again.

18. notDistantGreen

Despite my limited knowledge of the subject, I believe yesterday was the last evening of Ramadan and therefore of particular significance and there's every reason why it should be properly respected.

Both teams gathered around their dug-outs and I dare say a bit of coaching went on on both sides. When the ceremony, if that's the right word, was over, the player concerned received a few pats on the back and similar acknowledgements from both sides. It was all very friendly, low key and completely unobjectionable.

No "ruling" was necessary, I'm sure all that was required was a quiet word between the respective teams and the ref and that was that, as it should be. There are about 4m Muslims in the UK and I don't see any reason whatsoever why their religious practices shouldn't be respected in exactly the same way we'd expect ours to be.

It's unremarkable... and yet it has been remarked upon.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes notDistant that could be true....the last day of Ramadan would be a more acceptable reason for a quick stop....maybe that's why I've never seen a game stopped on telly yet.......well noted.

20. notDistantGreen

By the way, if this was just popping over for a sip of water, is Holy Communion nipping up the front for a biscuit and a mouthful of wine?