1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Rotherham

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 3, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rotherham the bouncy club. We can do this as it's the first of the season.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well here we go again....full of hope and optimistic for the long road ahead......or so we should be......I expect it depends if your a half full or half empty glass man.

Well I've always been a half empty glass man.....no surprise there to those that know me.

We finished last season with only two wins in our last 15 games.....and survived relegation because we had a good Jan/Feb period that cushioned are dive from mid table....in fact it looked to the optimistic that we were making a push for the play-offs come the end of February.

The glaring problem....that all green fans new about....and you wondered if Ryan Lowe didn't know was..... the leaking defence....giving away 80 goals for the second time in 3 years.

This summer Lowe majored on the defence bringing in players that had seasons of experience between them.....that was fine....he brought in one mid-fielder and got on a seasons loan another.....up front at the time of typing he has done nothing on the strikers front.

So how does it look.....not that brilliant to be honest....three strikers...Ennis, Hardie and Jephcott....Ennis looks a handful but needs a partner.....Hardie will run his socks off....and Jephcott has gone half a season without scoring a league goal.....which means our goal tally dropped at the same time as we notched up the goals let in.

At this moment with the players we've got mid-table will be a success story......Ryan Lowe is a season more experienced and hopefully has worked out a plan B and plan C....for when we get pressed high and plan A is nullified yet again.......it is worrying that our midfield threesome of Mayor, Grant and Camara....first choices week on week do not score enough goals to compensate for our strikers lack of end results......so are midfield and strikers have to score more to support hopefully our new stronger defence.....come 5pm today we might have a glimmer of an answer.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Wilson, Scarr, Gillesphey, Houghton, Mayor, Camara, Edwards, Grant, Hardie, Jephcott.

Subs
    Burton, Broom, Galloway, Randell, Law, Ennis, Shirley.

So Houghton starts instead of Randell.....Shirley in as 4th striker.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well there you go Plym you can empty your glass a bit further now. Ladapo of course. Who else.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0 down Ladapo of course after 10 mins.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You can drain it now as it's 2 - 0. A cracker apparently.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0 down Wiles 38 mins.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...H/T.

Defence leaks two goals and attack cannot put it in the net....so bottom of the league....the only way is up.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Mayor off Broom on 62 mins.

Why isn't Ennis playing....no sense in not giving him time to change things.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Because he got injured in the warm up apparently.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Time to get the sack cloth and ashes out and let the boo merchants take over again, We're doomed I tell you..............

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I wondered why he was in the original announced team....and then wasn't.....he is our only dangerous forward....toothless without him.

13. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Very poor from Argyle according to the fans, some of whom may have been there.

Mayor subbed off after an ineffective performance, which is pretty much a first, and our most effective attacker Ennis not making the start.

Rotherham have presumably brought some Championship class diwn with them but we'll need to do a lot better in the next two games at home.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Over 1100 greens there....some were commenting on pasoti in not too encouraging ways....such comments as...did Jephcott win a competition to play and why did it take so long to get Mayor subbed....and that Broom his replacement did more in ten minutes than Mayor does in a whole game.

Sounds like a continuation of last season.....now only two wins in sixteen league games.

If Ennis is out for awhile we need to contact Messi before he signs for PSG......we are desperate for a proper strike partner for Ennis anyway....and if he is out for awhile we will be devoid of any scoring ability.

Ryan Lowe might have been unlucky today....first drawing Rotherham away as our first match....and Ennis getting injured in the warm up.

If things don't improve by ten games in to the league season....he will meet a side of the green army that Covid protected him from last season....having not paid for Argyle TV and news I might never read his post match comments again.....which might be £45 well saved.

Although we have a better experienced defence "on paper" this season....how long will it take to coach them into the bad ways of last year.....time will tell.

Lets hope that Rotherham are a promotion team and that we will do better against others.

15. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Losing Ennis for any length of time would be a very big blow. We needed to bring in another striker anyway so nothing changes there. We do not need a lone lighthouse type of player. That's not the way we play.

Looking at the positive, if Broom played well, then we've made a good signing. Every cloud etc.

I think Jephcott needs chances made for him. Given where we are, that's why Ennis & Hardie would be my first picks. They make things happen. And I don't care what anyone says, you would not want to play against Ryan Hardie. Too quick, too hard working and capable of sniper finishes.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's one loss this season. What happened last season is history and not relevant. No big surprise at the result. As said Rotherham came down from a much stronger league than league one and retained a number of the players. They are a strong side and will do well this season.

17. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Just back (well about an hour ago) which was significantly quicker than the 8 hours it took me to get there yesterday afternoon! It took us 15 mins to settle down and then we played pretty well in phases. Nothing fell for us and without Ennis it looked like goals would be hard to come by. Rotherham scored twice, the first one was a tad fortunate and we made their second one easier than it should have been, and they looked to be well organised, if not the most enjoyable to watch.
    Plenty to be optimistic about, some decent passing football and the defence looks much improved, but we need to be more decisive and clinical when we do get chances. Not sure what some of our supporters who have taken to social media tonight have been doing all day, but I don't think many of them watched the same match that I did. Onwards (and upwards!)

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You should know what it's like down this way by not Lyndie. Being an Argyle Supporter and loving a bit of doom is a joint occupation for a lot of them. Mind you they have been given a fair amount of practice at it for a very long time. 50% of the results today were stalemates which says a lot. There were at least 4 results that you wouldn't have bet on and a few more a lot closer than you might have expected. It's the first game so lets let it settle down a bit before we start slitting wrists or being a lemming.

19. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Well Lyndi, i signed on for Argyle TV, and it was very good.
    Not cheap, but the only way for me to see the games.
    Not sure if i will get the the Peterborough game.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the highlights on youtube........poor marking seemed to give Rotherham too many chances.....could have been worse than 2-0.....seemed to be marking spaces and not players....whose coaching them to do that.

How is Ennis.....will he back soon or are we stuffed for goal chances until he returns......maybe we should let Jephcott go out on loan to a Conference side for three months.....there must be some way of kick-starting his career into life.