1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Rotherham

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 3, 2024.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well..........I will leave you all to fill in the must wins and squeaky time posts.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No 1 priority for this one is.....DON'T LOSE......and winning is quite possible if the team throw off their recent approaches set by Foster.

Winning this one and the QPR game would be possible if they have thrown off the shackles that Foster had been restricting them with.

As Michael Cooper has said...."we want to get back to our attacking ways".

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Rotherham...0-1...Argyle...H/T.

Mumba...32mins.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Rotherham...0-1...Argyle....F/T

Phew that was nerve racking with only one goal.....but three lovely jubbly points won there.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have just got back from my daughter's after watching this on her tele and having to put up with the jibes from my grandson and his dad. Nerve tingling is putting it mildly but the manner of a victory now is way more important than the substance of the match itself. If we did this 5 more times before the end of this season I would die a happy man. Not convincing but the right result in my opinion. Ref was average at best.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Not an easy watch but we were the better side by a distance. But we were playing Rotherham, let's not get carried away.

Whittaker looked a bit more like himself but Ryan Hardie is still way off his best. These are are our best players, they've proved it and need out support to recover from a turbulent period. More team performances like that and it will happen.

We do seem to be moving back to our earlier form. Was that evident in Foster's later performances? Perhaps.

Why did Nance do the post match interview? He did a very good job and he is Mr. Argyle, a job for life for me. But a potential manager? Probably not. We need a manager with the gravitas to get the best out of Neil Dewsnip come summer time.

Man Of The Match? All of them really, under the circumstances, but I'll go for Callum Wright. Boy, is he ready to sweat blood for the team?

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

To win last night was great....the 3pts valuable...the boost to moral indescribable....the confidence much needed as we go into our last five matches.

And if Sheff W...Huddersfield... Millwall and Birmingham do not win today it can only strengthen our position.....but Huddersfield and Millwall are actually playing each other today....so is a draw a good result for us....or Huddersfield losing ?

But in the light of reality we must take on board that Rotherham are by far the weakest team in this league.....only four wins this season.....only scoring 32 goals and conceding a massive 82.....that's minus 50 on goal difference and now already relegated.....so honestly anything but a win would have been a disaster for us last night.

We only managed one goal against the weakest defence in the league....okay it was enough to win....but we need to keep improving and to start scoring goals.

Our next game is at home against QPR who at the moment have only scored 39 goals and conceded 51....we are playing at home and we have not scored a home goal for ages...that needs to change on Tuesday......they are of course today playing at home against Sheff W...so a win for them today will be a bonus for us.

We are all desperate for Ryan Hardie to hit the back of the net....he is one of two players we have depended on all season to score our goals.

Do we start him on Tuesday or hold him back for the second half.....he looks knackered...but we have no alternative who can do better....not bringing in a proven striker in the last two transfer windows is threatening to derail us....and wherever we are playing next season that needs to change.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  8. notDistantGreen

I think the effect on morale is the important thing.

We were living with most teams earlier in the year especially at Home Park. Why can’t we do that again? Three of our five remaining games are at home although one is against Leicester.

We play some of the teams around us so it’s in our hands.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

well, as you a;; have said it was not easy to watch. but we got what we deserved , their keep made a few good saves, Waine had a few chances also. Callum wright def MOM. but whitaker looked better and mumba,
    Scarr was decent and never had a problem with the two big men for rotherham.

Well in all satisfied now two trips to the park this week and hopefully at least 4 points.. i think that should do us .. well done to the Management team for getting them back up , good to see old faces returning..

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If we get 6 quick points (Rotherham & QPR) that will surely settle the team down...and hopefully others will have dropped points by then....and the pressure then might be less than it was yesterday before the game.

If we do beat QPR...then a winning trip to Stoke would be very satisfying....and 50pts is surely safety.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Must mention Argyle's goal.....so satisfying to see a pinpoint pass from one £milliion player to another £million player.

Whittaker just cleared the defenders head and literally dropped the pass onto Mumba's foot....an excellent first touch and a tremendous shot between the keeper and the near post was very satisfying.....and the response from the players was terrific......more like that on Tuesday please.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It may not have been a 5 star match last night but I'm not having this "if we couldn't beat this lot" statements as if it was a foregone conclusion and the end of the Universe if we didn't. Rotherham may be the worst team in this league but ask Millwall if they can't turn a result even then. We won an away match. That is all we need to know without talking it down.

13. notDistantGreen

I wasn't saying to the quality of the play made it hard to watch, I was talking about the state of my nerves.....

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And I wasn't refering to your post although if it was talking it down then it would apply equally.