1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wigan

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Jan 16, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Decided to post this thread early this week given the level of opposition we face on Saturday. They are top of the league and obviously for very good reason. You may want to spend a bit of extra time dissecting the transfer market so far and who they have signed given we haven't signed anyone as yet.

Now in the famous form table we have little to fear from Wigan. We are better than them at the moment and are better than most of the teams they have played recently to get those form figures. Should we therefore fear them and expect to get our bottoms smacked? We know they are a good side and will probably get promoted this season. There is no denying the form they have shown throughout even if they have drawn a few lately. But, even Man City got beat this week so it proves nobody but nobody is loss proof. Thing is nor are we. However, we are not the pushover we once were and I just have a little niggle that we might get something out of this game most will probably expect us to lose. What could possibly go wrong.

COYG

2. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I think if we play well we have a good chance of a hard won win or a decent draw here - I've gone for the safe option of a draw in my prediction.

They have had some difficulties scoring recently hence the rush into the transfer market, with new players still to gel into the team I think we are playing them at a good time.

Our boys are also on a decent unbeaten run so this is a hard one to call.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They've got a hard cup replay tonight against Bournemouth....hope they're knackered afterwards

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep the hard game led to them winning it 3 - 0 so obviously the scoring boots have returned. Not quite what we would have wanted but hey ho you still never know.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not as hard as it should of been unfortunately.....and Wigan have a better away record than home..humm...I'll take a draw.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Damn you Plymborn you appologist you. We can win this never mind settling for a draw. We are the form team remember.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We're top of the home form over eight games....they're top of the away form over eight games.....draw personally.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems that Wigan rested some players for the Bournemouth replay...:huh:.

Their First team squad comprises of 34 players....4 goalies.....11 defenders.....13 midfielders.....6 strikers....no wonder Simon Church couldn't get a game.

It seems that Church was not available with a hip injury for awhile....do we know much about that ?.

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Feeling quietly confident on this game with 3pts. for the taking. Just don't sit back let it be another case of whooping the Latics!

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

PENALTY......1-0 to Carey 26 mins.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Equalizer....1-1.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-2 H/T

13. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Referee getting a lambasting on Twitter. Carey headbutted apparently.

Plymouth Argyle FCā€¸Verified account@Only1Argyle 24m24 minutes ago
    More
    Carey down, an off the ball incident with Powell. We've got a replay in the press box, definite arm-to-face contact. It was off the ball, though, so some sympathy with the officials not seeing it. If they had, Powell would be gone, very probably. #pafc

0 replies2 retweets8 likes

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So we lost 3-1....but from what I've read we gave it a go....Ref missed a lot from what has been said.

15. notDistantGreen

Most fans seem to think we did OK and that 1-3 flattered them.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Right then chaps stand by.................

This to me doesn't feel like the usual feeling for a loss. I have to say that we played really well and we were NOT second best to the league leaders. This score more than flatters them and although I think they are also a decent side I also think they have an edge to them that borders on the cheating we have grown to despise. This I know is going to sound like sour grapes but it seriously isn't meant to. They pushed every rule to the edge and beyond and were aided and abeted by a Referee who was as weak as dishwater. We could have had another penalty but there was no way this man was going to give us 2. Their second goal was from a corner not given to us and a foul on Fox which was so obvious even the bloke in the carpark should have seen it. They should have finished with 9 men never mind 11. I honestly believe the Referee had league leader syndrome. He almost seemed like he couldn't give decisions because of who they were. He allowed so much to go unpunished from them it was getting beyond a joke. He stopped play a couple of times where he gave a foul to us when we had won the ball back and were on the charge forward. I mean stop play and give a kick a few seconds later in some instances but not when the team offended against is on the attack with a decent chance of breaking away.

Know what, I am sorry to say this but Fergie was absolutely spot on with the shoot them remark because they really are not fit to officiate in professional sport.

We played well today and almost without exception there were good performances all over the park. I cannot fault any of them and that includes the supporters. We totally deserved something out of this and it's a bit galling that we got nothing. Against most other sides we would have tonked them today.

17. notDistantGreen

Very much in accordance with what was said on Twitter during the game Sensible. You are not alone in those opinions.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Trouble is notdistant. no matter what the FA do now or how much people keep saying what they do about officials, they have 3 points and we have none. I am so convinced that the football god we have all heard about previously does not exist. If he did then a bolt of lightening would be winding it's way north as we speak.

19. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Bloody shame. ...about time cameras were introduced!

20. notDistantGreen

Just watched the YouTube clip. The guy who conceded the penalty should have been sent off. Carey's about to pull the trigger from close range, albeit from a narrow angle, and his ankle is deliberately clipped. Clear scoring chance (especially if you're Graham Carey) denied.

Ref booked him and gave the penalty so the decision isn't open to review and further punishment. Very luck boy.