1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wycombe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 20, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There seems to be enough going wrong up to now so what coul possibly go wrong this time?

We are playing Wycombe is probably the answer. The main question is will that nice Mr Ainsworth and Mr Adams meet in the dugout and be bezzie buddies? My guess is no to that one. We have had another terrible start to the season but Wycombe have had an even worse one. I have absolutely no idea how this one is going to pan out to be honest. It could be anything.

I travelled home today and went through Gordano Service Station at around 2pm ish. As I was walking into the building there were several Wycome players walking out. It didn't twig to me right away until they had gone. What an opportunity to slide tackle a few before tomorrow. Not Adebayo of course but I could have managed a couple of others. If we lose it might be my fault.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Argyle...1-1...Wycombe W...F/T.....dear oh dear....at least Akinfenwa didn't score.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Carey taken off near the end and Sawyer comes on....sounds like Adams was trying to hang on to a point.....Argyle in bottom four.

We need to score goals when on top....that's been our problem for the last season or so....we cannot expect our defence to win games for us for ever.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Shredded nerves here.

After a scrappy start from both sides, Argyle's first attempt at actually passing the thing led to a good goal from the excellent Ladapo.

Thereafter, Argyle bossed the first half but didn't add further goals.

What looked like a minor resurgence by Wycombe just before half time didn't change the feeling that we'd win it in front of the Demport End.

How wrong could you be? Wycombe kept their foot on the gas and Argyle couldn't get a foot on the ball.

That looked to have changed when Songo'o and Taylor came on and Carey missed a golden chance.

Then the inevitable happened.

What went wrong I really don't know. Tactics? Fitness? Desire? Whatever it was, we were overrun for 30 minutes.

Good news? Good spell in the first half. Macey, Lapado, Moore, Smith-Brown and the 2 Grant's.

Worst news other than a failure to compete in the 2nd half? Carey. Badly off his best.

MoM ? Ladapo and not just because he scored.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Hard to watch from over here. Just no real goal threat and lucky to get the draw.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not even going to try to argue with any of that notdistant. You could see the Wycombe equaliser coming a mile away. Argyle looked to have no clue in the second half. What the feck has happened to Carey? After my weekend trials and tribulations I was still knackered today but still made the effort to go to the game. I have to say I wish I'd stayed home and had an early night because it was pathetic stuff.

I know this isn't an excuse but I also have to mention the Referee tonight. Totally and utterly incompetent. I have to ask the question "where do they get these people from?". The normal cry from a match is that the Ref is a homer and gives the home side loads and the away side nothing. This bloke has never seen that script because he gave us nothing at all but gave them a shed load. Senario. A player goes down as if he is half dead. The team who he plays for plays on because they have the ball and are attacking. They could have kicked it out at any time but chose to ignore their obviously dying team mate and his plight. The attack breaks down and a counter attack with possibly 3 defenders against 4 attackers starts. He immediately blows his whistle and points to the wounded soldier who had failed to move. Why do crowds deride referees? That's exactly why. He gave decisions against Argyle tonight that I have simply no idea what they were for. Hopeless doesn't even begin to cover it.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I thought the ref was okay tonight- using the laws of the game I am not sure what else he was supposed to do during that incident...We played some pretty decent stuff first half and sat back second half. Wycombe deserved their equaliser. Matt Macey was very good, and no one had a bad day. Great to see Sarcevic playing at last. Plenty of optimism for the rest of the season-think by mid October we will be a decent team.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

okay lyndhurst here is a suggested "what he could do". Blow his whistle whilst Wycombe had the ball and halt their attack is what. Why did he allow them to continue and then not allow Argyle to when they took the ball off them? He is either concerned for the player or he isn't but which is it and why does it depend on who has the ball. The Wycombe mob were quite happy to carry on whilst they could score but changed in an instance when they couldn't. He blew his whistle loads of times and I'm buggered if I could even see a foul anywhere. He gave handball from around a yard away and didn't give it at other times when it was more blatant. The bloke was terrible and I'm not sure if you and I were watching the same game. The jeers he got sort of give the clue that many supporters were less than happy with him. Just because supporters jeer does not automatically mean they are just biased. Sometimes, and I know it's not considered appropriate that supporters might be, they are spot on and right about the Ref. We got so little out of the man it was pathetic and no wonder a few around me thought he had arrived on the Wycombe bus. From what I've heard from various sources tonight you are in a minority of one.

9. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Things will change for the better soon.
    My Argyle shirt arrived today it's the away shirt.
    When they are in the top 6 i will purchase the Home shirt.

I wore it around town today with people asking what a Ginster was.... ask Sensible was my reply.

10. notDistantGreen

I agree there were some poor decisions but they weren't what cost us the game.

As you know Lyndhurst I'm often accused of wearing green tinted glasses. I'm proud of that.

However, the 2nd half was one of the worst performances I've seen from an Argyle team. I always stay to clap them off at end but not last night.

I have 2 basic questions, neither of which I expect you to answer.

Why do we have to wait until October? Other sides are winning games now and we can't get promotion by giving them a 6 or 8 game start.

How can it be that a team that dominated the first half play so badly in the second? You'd have thought the team had changed shirts, not ends.

Perhaps you can confirm factually whether Derek Adams was in the dugout following his red card? I believe he was.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams has talked that he needs one more player....a mid-fielder he says.....but will only go for the right one he needs.....he must be worried that we have no one pulling the strings in mid-field.....ok we've got away with it for the last season or two because of Carey delivering goals and assists....but last night from what I read he isn't playing well and seemed to be a little greedy as well.....hasn't he got any belief in the players around him delivering.

Another good start last night...but we lack the ability to get that second goal and then dominate....notDistant suggested that the teams didn't change ends at half-time...just changed shirts....why can they be so Jekyll and Hyde....most people agree that we have a better squad this season and quite a strong bench as well....Adams must be so frustrated that he cannot get them player his way...now we have to play the top two teams in succession....playing as the underdog might be just what we need at present.....Wycombe was supposed to be an easy scalp.....we can't adapt when proven otherwise.

12. notDistantGreen

I'll give you an example of the things that lose you points. Deep into the 2nd half, we get a free kick 20 yards from their goal line, 5 yards in from the Lyndhurst touchline.

Perfect place to put the ball into the box. CBs troop into the box, just 2 full backs left at home.

Carey and Conor Grant line up over the ball - inswinger or out?

Neither. They play it short, no chance made, ball lost, Wycombe sprint forward, outnumbering what's left of defence.

Heads in heads amongst the fans.

13. notDistantGreen

Just on the Sawyer thing, we do now have 2 full backs who can attack. In fact, you might say too much.

So it may make sense to bring Sawyer on in a 3 or 4 and push 2 or 1 of the FBs up into wide midfield roles.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I never said the Ref cost us a point or the game or anything else. I said he was incompetent which he was.

I've heard excuses about this being a new squad etc and the need for them to gel etc. Yes it is fairly new but this season they do not have a playoff excuse because most of the signings were done way before the transfer window ended and they pretty much had a full pre-season which they didn't have last time. Every other team virtually has half a squad minimum that are new. A fair few of them seem to be gelling ok. It's rubbish to make it as an excuse for poor play. They look as if they haven't even seen each other at times and yet at other times seem quite at home with their team mates. Carey is absolute pants at the moment. We all know what he can do but he ain't doing it. He got his extra cash and contract but now seems not to either want or be bothered to earn it. We may have started like this last term and got away with it with a massive run of points but we won't keep doing it. No promise at the minute we will do it this season so far. Something is missing but I don't know what it is. The support will not hold up this season if the product doesn't improve.

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

They almost scored 3 or 4 second half on highlights. Is it Peterborough on Sat?...god help us.
    Gonna have a bloody good shampoo might make me feel better lol!

16. notDistantGreen

I don't agree about Carey not caring: there were times last night when I could see him flying into a tackle and getting sent off like he did last year (or the year before).

What you can see on the highlights is the push by Akinfenwa that let immediately to the Wycombe goal. I take back what I said about the ref not being responsible.

17. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

yes Derek was in the dugout. Akinfenwa didn't foul on that occasion (shoulder to shoulder) . Game of two halves etc. We are a better team than last season. Wycombe were good in the second half. 1-1 was a fair result. Looking forward to Saturday.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Trouble is so is every other team lyndie. I actually thought Wycombe were unlucky if I am brutally honest. We had better play better than we have on Saturday or it might be an England cricket score.

19. notDistantGreen

Doesn't look shoulder to shoulder: CB, probably Wootton, is propelled FORWARD under the ball as he jumps allowing it to drop behind him for Akinfenwa.