1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Vote for a National Bird (feathered variety)

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Mar 16, 2015.

1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

The big, brown bird of prey was probably a Buzzard.
    Any water or marshland nearby? Then Marsh Harriers come into the equation. Short Eared Owls also look like a brown bird of prey and hunt by day.
    Do you get Red Kites there?

2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Having looked at pictures of the three and the owl I’m pretty sure it (they, there were a couple) was a buzzard. Not much real marsh around here, a couple of meadows they are attempting to re- wild as water meadows on the Avon flood plain - which was where I was walking to dog this morning.
    Not sure about red kites, but then again I only started paying attention yesterday!

rangercol likes this.
  3. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Buzzards are my favourite bird of prey. Miniature Eagles!
    They have chunkier wings than Kites and sometimes hover like a Kestrel.
    Kites have a distinctive forked tail. Both look a similar size in the sky.
    Buzzards are around 4.5ft wingspan.
    Kites around 5.5ft.

sb_73 likes this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Heard, and then saw, (lurking in a bush) a song thrush yesterday evening after the rain. Really distinctive song.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    SW Ranger and rangercol like this.
  5. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Heard a Lesser spotted woodpecker for the first time around us. Couldn’t see him but could hear his different drumming to the Greater spotted variety.
    Definitely had me curious first time hearing it. Would be great to have a glimpse of the much smaller woodpecker - but I doubt we will be so lucky.

Uber_Hoop, Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  6. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

7. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Golden eagles reach record numbers in southern Scotland
    • Published
      3 hours ago

By Giancarlo Rinaldi

South Scotland reporter, BBC Scotland news website

A conservation project to move golden eagles to southern Scotland has helped the population reach record numbers.

There are now about 46 birds in the area - the highest figure recorded in the area for centuries.

Eight chicks were brought to the secret location near Moffat this summer to bring numbers to the current level.

When the South of Scotland Golden Eagle Project (SOSGEP) began five years ago it was thought that only three breeding pairs remained in the area.

The latest chicks came from the Scottish Highlands, Perthshire, Angus and the Scottish islands

SOSGEP also revealed that two birds - Edward and Iona - have formed a nesting pair which should help boost numbers in future.

The announcement comes ahead of Moffat's annual festival celebrating golden eagles.

BBC Springwatch's Iolo Williams, who will speak at the event, said: "The work of this outstanding project is playing a vital role in boosting the small golden eagle population in the south of the country.

"It is brilliant to think that there is an even greater chance of seeing this iconic predator, which is so important to maintaining a healthy ecosystem, soaring in southern skies."

please log in to view this image
    IMAGE SOURCE,JOHN WRIGHT/SOSGEP
    Image caption,
    Birds have been brought from other parts of Scotland to the hills near Moffat

kiwiqpr and SW Ranger like this.
  8. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

The golden eagle was always my favourite bird as a kid … it’s feather pattern, colour, grace, power and size … it had everything.

Steelmonkey likes this.