1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wage cap questions?

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by mexijan, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

As I understand this limits the club wage bill to a set percentage of club income from defined sources.

Does anyone know how this income is calculated? is it from last seasons gates, estimated on season ticket sales? If a club was in the 2nd division last season it seems fairly simple but for relegated and promoted clubs just wondering how they calculate this?

Also what is the punishment if you exceed this amount.

Another thing puzzling me is for relegated clubs what if their wage bill exceeds the limit but all players are still under contract?

2. greenjock

greenjock Member

Not sure how they calculate the 55% but the punishment is a transfer embargo! Like thats gonna worry us lol

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If the DIV TWO salary cap has been reduced to 55% from 60% of turnover that creates an immediate problem for PAFC.

We still have at least five players we can ill afford, Fletcher,Arnason,Walton,Johnson and Bhasera must be on the equivalent to Championship wages from our previous life.

With the latter two recovering from injuries they are not really saleable at present, When possible we need to maybe sell at least three of them.

The two I would prefer to retain would be Bhasera and Arnason ( I think his long throw is a weapon we should exploit,Reid should have learnt the use of the long throw at Stoke).

One thing in our favour in DIV TWO is that we will possibly have a higher financial turnover through the gates with larger crowds than most clubs can expect,unless we continue spiralling down hill with poor performances.

5. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

That reduction was on the cards, still not sure how you can sign contracts and plan personnel on a moveable budget. Guess you just build in a good safety factor to your calculations. So based on last year we can spend 2.75 million on wages and had a wage bill of 8 million even with the departees we must be near or even over cap now. Time to start cleaning those boots people think we may get a game yet.

6. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I think we will find most of the big wage pullers have left. I would say Fallon, Duguid, Clark and Seip were big wage earners.

I think we need to off load Walton and Bhasera at least. The latter is likely (when recovered) to attract a Championship team. I think Crystal Palace were after him last term.
    I would love us to retain Johnson but he is an ex-Premier league player and therefore on a big wage, so he will have to go when recovered.

As for Arnason, I hope he can stay because I think him and Fletcher can boss the midfield this season.

I hope you are right about the crowd Plymborn, I reckon some fans will come back if the price is right now there are no members of the previous board involved in the club. A friend of my grandads said he would not come while the current board stayed in charge.

COYG!

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

hobo.........Even with a reduced attendance say 6-7000 per home gate that is well up the crowd table for DIV TWO,meaning more than average gate money for Argyle to play with.

Problem is we still got at least five players earning Championship wages,as I mentioned earlier 3 of those 5 need to go,at least we agree on one player......... Arnason.........Reid needs to work around his potential, he saw at Stoke what a good thrower can do.

8. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Arnason will be a serious asset next season I can see it. You are right about the crowd (although I seem to remember that our lowest crowd hit 4,000 when we played D&R this season after a bad run of results), I think 7,000 is likely for the start of the season, if we are lucky and the club is sorted in time we may get more. We will have to see.

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I said sometime ago that Argyle would probably generate more income from crowds than the absolute vast majority in League 2. Even at our lowest point prior to Sturrock 1 we had 4 to 4500. Many clubs in this league would love that as an average. There are two things this depends on. Success on the pitch is by far and away the biggest one for us to generate interest. If we get off to a good start and are up there at the top or very near then whatever we start with we should retain. If it looks like being a productive season promotion wise then this could rise as the season goes on. The numbers brought by the away sides. There are quite a few almost local sides for us compared to other seasons. This could generate bigger crowds at times throughout the season. The second is being able to offload one or more of the expensive nap hand. I would like at least 2 to go. Fletcher to stay is a given as he has committed anyway and I would want his experience and drive to stay. Arnason if he maintains his end of season form is another given for me. Who the third should be is up for debate. I actually think Walton would do well for us if his head is on the right way around. Bashera is quite a class act so could be kept instead of Walton. The one I would not retain is Johnson. I have to say I don't know what people were raving about when he signed. Don't think he has ever been class for us at any point.

10. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

He played well in the centre of the field with Fletcher in the 09/10 season. Admittedly in a team as bad as ours in that season he probably looked better than he played but his experience would be useful. Anyway I agree with you about Bhasera but I think he will be snapped up when he recovers.