1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ward-Prowse.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ThatThereSaintsFan, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ThatThereSaintsFan

ThatThereSaintsFan Well-Known Member

It's fair to say he's been steadily improving without blowing anyone away of late. However with his recent performance in the u20s tournament and the possible departure of players leading to more playing time, is this the season he's really going to come good and be the next big thing for us? I'm really starting to think it is.

Where do people want him to play? Presuming we stick to 4231/433?

2. IMO Im ITK

IMO Im ITK Active Member

His technique and passing is second to none. I can see him really pushing on this year.

3. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can see Koeman being quite fond of him too.

4. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Mm he has to keep learning and knuckle down. He has shown that his technique in the ball is great, however he still gets physically dominated out of games when compared to Morgan/cork/Wanyama. Cork isn't exactly the biggest in the world, so I think JWP will improve with practice. I think with smaller players a lot of it comes down timing and subtle movements across people.

An example that springs to mind from this season is Fabian Delph - small frame and yet manages to bully players when he's on his game.

5. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

Not sure I see him starting a majority of games, but he should hopefully get to shine a little more, maybe smash some free kicks in. If he can improve his shooting from open play he'll be very useful as we desperately need someone in midfield who can do that. His passing game and work rate largely seem up to the task.

6. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Tricky to pick his position....I'm not such a fan of him in the holding midfield role as he's a bit too lightweight.

If we get a physically strong striker who can win headers in the box, then I'd put him on the right wing (assuming we still have Clyne and/or Chambers to use their pace down the sideline)

7. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

He's definitely a #10. More useful to us than the European "trequartista" kind who shirk all defensive responsibility as well; he's a hard worker who will track back and be the most advanced one of a midfield three, not just the guy who plays in the shadow of the striker.

8. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

He is young and has time to develop but as previous people have suggested we don't seem to have identified his best position.

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

He's very good, but I'd say his "technique" is certainly second to Lallana ... for one.

10. ThatThereSaintsFan

ThatThereSaintsFan Well-Known Member

I can see him nudging Davis out of the team. Similar sort of players with Ward-Prowse having far far more potential.