1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Washington needs to go out on loan

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stan Dupp, Aug 24, 2016.

1. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

The only problem is; who in their right mind would pay £3m for him based on the little he has done for us? If we decide to sell, there is no way we would recoup what we paid for him.

2. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I really don't know. We did! And since then he's played in the Euro's for NI.Clubs pay a lot for strikers. So maybe we can we can recoup.

3. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

Agree with Watford here

The market is utterly absurd at the minute, even in our division. The patience some of supporters show is laughable quite frankly. Short term objectives equal short term results. Really thought we'd moved on from that.

I'd much rather protect and try absolutely everything to get Washington firing because he's clearly a good player.

rangercol and Stroller like this.
  4. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

Can we not just give the man a decent run, get behind him and enjoy someone trying their best for us?
    Or do we really have to have as a must, a minimum of 3 scapegoats - regardless?

We really are a delusional bunch sometimes - we are at this moment in time a lower to mid Championship club at best.

If we want to do better instantly we need to spend big and put the club and owner's money in jeopardy - majority do not want that - some will have to readjust their expectations or support another club. FFS, we should be celebrating, we've gone past 2 rounds of a cup competition for the first time since only God knows.

5. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Yes he played in the Euros for NI but he did very little over there. At the moment, we would be blessed to get half of what we paid for him IMO.

6. Hertfordshire Qpr

Hertfordshire Qpr Active Member

Yes, let's sit back ignore we only have 2 sub standard strikers, all while our parachute payments dwindle in front of our eyes.

Genius, not sure why I didn't think of that.

7. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

You know, I think Washington is just starting to get better now. His form is getting better. We should probably hold on and see where this goes. I can feel a goal coming soon.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  8. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

There were far stronger squads with bigger budgets than Leicester last season so what's your point? It's not always about money and to be fair we have spent and do have some good players/Ex prem players that a lot of teams in this division can only dream of. Take Preston or Barnsley's teams, it wasn't money that helped them beat us was it? So it's not always about money but getting in the right players.

As for your comments re Polter and fans only giving him 5 minutes? Sometimes that is enough for the seasoned eye to be able to tell (a bit like Mackie). However, he has had enough games now for fans to make up their minds. I like Polter as he tries but sadly trying isn't enough. It's a game about skill and he has very little. He will not get the goals we need to move forward. A good backup and someone to play in certain games but if he is leading the line every week expect to be lower table, which by the way is not an improvement.
    I always remember someone next to me referring to a player we signed as being 'quick' and a response of "so is Linford Christie but he won't score you goals". Never a truer word.

As for Washington, a loan move might do him some good (just like it did for Les) although we would need a replacement. Something is not clicking with him and in the games i have seen him play, he seems to get knocked off the ball and runs into blind alleys.
    Whatever we debate, the fact is we need more firepower upfront and if people think not then they are clueless.

Sutfol and QPR Oslo like this.
  9. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Hope you are right- goalS even!

10. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what Washington actually is. I don't think he is a striker, he definitely cannot play alone up top. Rght-sided attacker?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016

11. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

When we were top after 2 games, Polter was being described as something like a reformed player, with a better touch and absolute hunger about him. He was suddenly able to smash the goals in (watford game), and his tireless running and persistence was winning us penalties. 2 defeats later and he's back to being not good enough. Which is it? I don't know, I've not been yet this season. Equally, I don't know about Washington, I've not seen him. Are people being a little over enthusiastic after 2 wins or a bit dramatic after 2 losses?

12. mcytiger

mcytiger Active Member

I've not seen a decent 'performance' from him last season or this. Get rid. He's not going to get us the goals we need to even stay mid table.

13. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Personally I think Washington is being written off far too soon by many on here. He has had little game time last season or this, he moved up from a lower league and is only 24 years old. And at £3m for a striker these days is almost pocket money.
    Give the lad a chance!

1982_Ranger, rangercol and Stroller like this.
  14. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Interesting debate about our lack of striking options.

My opinion for what it's worth, keep both Polter & Washington and get at least one accomplished striker in with Grego-Cox as backup

15. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

TBH Woody i actually think Polter looks better this season. However i think we need something else up front. I am not saying get rid just bring in someone else.
    As for DC i would like to keep him but something is not right.

16. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

I would agree apart from saying we need two good strikers in, not one.

17. Stan Dupp

Stan Dupp Well-Known Member

Harsh reality is, Washington has been given enough games but never looked like scoring, inc v Rochdale.
    We have known for god knows how long that we need 2 new strikers and have none on board. if we wait until 11pm on weds, who will we get? The dross, that no one else wants, that's who.
    What would happen if Polter got injured on 1st Sept?
    Yes we can settle for 13th ,like last year but seeing the likes of Tammy Abraham (from under our noses) going to Bristol City pretty much says it all.
    Anyone who knows anything about football knows that kid will score for fun and hopefully, even better, not at CFC. All very well people saying we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, we are looking at so and so but it's the 27th Aug FFS.

18. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

64 goals in 2 seasons southern league
    1 goal next season for Newport
    7 goals season after before Winter move to Peterborough and a further 5 goals
    12 goals for Peterborough before 15 in 31 games
    Then we signed him in winter of 2016.
    The boy has come along way in a relatively short space of time. His fitness levels have no doubt improved as has his all round game as it should get better the higher up the leagues you play. Also settling into a new system, new manager who has had to move out players he didn't want but was stuck with
    Maybe a loan might help him, but then again I think he should stay. Give him the service and encouragement and judge at the end of the year. Today is only 5th league game this year. If JFH and SLF cannot help and advise a striker then we are in the brown stuff. Both were pretty good in their day. I just think Washington has come a long way from playing part time footie and being a postman. There are other players that develop late, Ian Wright, Vardy for example - lets give the boy the service he needs rather than shoot down. Maybe we were spoilt with Charlie Austin and are expecting an immediate 30 goal return from a 3 million pound investment, but does anyone remember Mike Sheron? And some of the "so called big name players, some of whom cost a fortune in transfer fees which was never justified" we spent fortunes on that were only with us for a large pay packet most of us can only dream about.

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  19. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

When he's brought on in the 88th minute today and doesn't score I demand he be whipped in front of the travelling masses.

20. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

What will happen when he comes on in 88th minute and gets the winner?