1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford FC v Sunderland AFC – Saturday 17th September 2022 – KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Sep 16, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Sep 17, 2022.
  1. Home win

12.1%
  2. Away win (Safc)

48.5%
  3. Draw

39.4%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

WFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland (Barcelona) hammered Reading and Watford lost at Blackburn.
    Sunderland travel to Watford in the Championship.
    Black Cats boss Tony Mowbray could be without Ellis Simms, who injured his toe as he attempted to get a first-half shot away during the Black Cats’ 3-0 win at Reading, and while he initially tried to continue after treatment, he was forced to hobble off a few minutes later.
    Ismaila Sarr and Jeremy Ngakia are major injury doubts for Watford. Forward Sarr rolled his ankle in the first half of Tuesday’s 2-0 defeat at Blackburn, while defender Ngakia was substituted later in that match due to a hamstring issue. Left-back Hassane Kamara will be assessed after missing the last two games due to a muscle strain.
    Captain Tom Cleverley is closing in on a first-team return following a calf problem, but fellow midfielder Imran Louza remains sidelined as he continues his recovery from knee surgery at the end of last season.
    Tony Mowbray:
    “It’s not ideal, Ellis brings us a physicality and he’s important at defending set-pieces as well. It's his big toe, on the joint. He was struggling to push off and it’s numb at the moment. Whether we scan that tomorrow or whether it settles down overnight, we'll have to wait and see.”
    “It’s the fact that it was numb, I don’t think it's broken but we'll have to let it settle and then reassess it again.”
    “I can’t teach Patrick Roberts to do what he does with that left foot,” said Mowbray. “I was a big centre-half who used to head it. He’s got a wand of a foot. I see it every day in training. Patrick is an amazing footballer, and I think that he just needs encouraging to do what he does.”
    Rob Edwards:
    “I want to apologise to the fans because that wasn't good enough. It’s been a very disappointing night, they’re a good side, but we made them look good with our performance.”
    “At the start of the game we couldn’t win a first or second ball, and then when we won it back we lost it again far too quickly. We talked about their counter-pressing, but we didn’t deal with that, and probably one of the only positives was that it was only 1-0 at half-time.
    “We’ve got to look hard now, deep down, and find some answers and some spirit. We’ve got a chance to turn things around again on Saturday, and we’ve got to come together as a team and give our fans a reaction because they deserve it.”
    form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    JOHN BUSBY
    Assistant Referees: Mark Russell and Robert Smith
    Fourth Official: Andy Woolmer

Team Lineups:
    Sunderland AFC:
    (3-4-3) Patterson, Alese, Batth, O’Nien, Neil, Embleton, Evans, Gooch, Clarke, Pritchard, Roberts
    Team.GIF
    Subs: Bass, Wright, Matete, Bennette, Ba, Dajaku, Diallo
    Injured: Huggins, Ballard, Cirkin, Stewart, Michut, Simms

Watford FC
    (3-4-1-2): Bachmann, Kabasele, Sierralta, Cathcart, Pérez, Kayembe, Choudhury, Sema. João Pedro, Davis, Bayo
    Subs: Troost-Ekong, Davis, Gosling, Asprilla, Okoye, Hungbo
    Injured: Sarr, Ngakia, Cleverley, Louza

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    14/5 Watford 1/1 Draw 12/5

Prutton Predicts: 1-2

My two pence:
    A truly excellent performance. We totally dominated the game and scored 3 wonderful goals, and my lad reckoned that was the best ever Sunderland game he’s been to in terms of the quality of football.

I’m going for a 2-1 away win.

Live Stream: (international fans)
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  2. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Change that first line chief.

( see, I do read it).

RTB, GaryClark, Whittylad and 2 others like this.
  3. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Brilliant as always RTB......the performances on the pitch are now matching your posts :) Another tough game this one but if we can find the consistency which is sometimes hard with such a young team on our day we will take anyone apart. Going for similar score as you stated.....2 - 1 with Pritchard and Neil getting them.... HTL!!!!!

4. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

Imho we won at Reading, I notice the post went up past the witching hour..perhaps a one night-cap too many?

So if Simms not fit, will he play Embleton instead, Roberts and Clarke start...

Watford lost their last game so a bounce-back for them?

So can we do 2 away wins in a row... yes we can!

5. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Tough game. Would settle for a point after the game but we’ve got more than enough talent to get a win here. Come on Sunderland.

6. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

Watford have had a "bad start" according to some of their fans but they sit just 1 point behind us. They're a promotion favourite and this is a really tough match for us.

We were magnificent without a striker on Wednesday but I think it takes a lot of work in training to be consistent and familiar with that approach.

I'll be very happy with a draw.

7. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Yeah me too. However, seeing Sarr is out is a boost. Got to be the best player in the league him. Amazed he didn't go to the PL in the window.

8. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Great thread as always @RTB. Thank you for taking the time to do them.

After such a magical performance Wednesday we are all bouncing and hoping that form continues, if we carry on like that we should have to much for Watford. Saying that I will take a point although as always hoping for 3

9. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Heart say 37-0. Head says i'll be happy with a 1-1 draw

10. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I always thought he wouldn't look out of place as a rotation player at a top 6 club. It looked like a great signing for Villa, before it was cancelled.

malagamackem likes this.

11. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

For once the quality of the football matched the Reading match thread, we're blessed.

After that display people are naturally desperate to be at Watford and I'm one ticket short ...

.... any help would be appreciated.

As for the match, can't wait :emoticon-0103-cool:

Watford have won 1 in 6 and have only scored nine this season, their keeper seems to be their best player though ...

... I think it'll be a more 'industrial' type of performance and I'm going 1-0 with a Batth goal from a corner.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  12. ab65

ab65 Well-Known Member

Cheers @RTB
    Confidence should be coursing through our team. As long as we haven’t picked up any injuries other than Simms the other night then TM may just go with the 11 at HT at Reading.
    Bit concerned about their physicality tomorrow but if Sarr is out that’s a boost as he’s an excellent player.
    Fancy us to get a point but their disarray behind the scenes may help us pinch the win.

13. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Top lad RTB, despite the schoolboy error.
    well what to make of this game, high expectations can make for a heavy fall, but it's hard not to be excited after Wednesday.
    They have had an extra days rest, and despite our ' easy' win the front lads put a lot of work into getting that result and tired legs might be an issue.
    Another clean sheet would be brilliant and a goalless draw wouldn't be a disaster but we have goals in our team and one could just be enough.HTL.

14. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

From the Watford forum ...

I was at the Reading v Sunderland game as a friend is a Mackam and live just down the road from the madejski.

As others have said the Lochness Drogba is injured and their other striker went off last night.

Think they played 5 at the back initially but changed it just before the injury, then Pritchard who is a CM went up front and Sunderland proceeded to score 2 goals in 2 mins just before the break, 2nd half was all Sunderland.

3rd goal was quality, won’t be a better team goal scored in the championship all season.

Their a young team with a bit of experience mixed in. Hard working and hungry. Some youngsters signed or loaned from premiership sides. Left back was impressive, some bloke called gooch played well too. Team unit that ran everywhere and won their individual battles all over the pitch.

If form is anything to go by, even with no fit strikers they will create more than we will with what we have to offer.

O’nien played centre back, did a decent job!

Watford 0-1 Sunderland (9’ some bloke who runs around a lot)"

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/watford-fc-vs-sunderland-17th-september-2022-15-00-ko.59686/

15. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Strange one that too. Looked done.

16. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

Great thread RTB - thank you

Dont know why but Im feeling confident about this, when I shouldnt really be as Watford have some good players. Notwithstanding, confidence with the lads should be sky high

1-2 win to us

Hawaaaaaaay

17. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Great thread as always, I'd be very happy with a point but feeling strangely confident going unto this one.

1-3 to the lads

18. Coastal Dolphins

Coastal Dolphins Well-Known Member

I’m as confident as any game this season based on Watford being on a bit of a downer and Safc showing signs of a long awaited resurgence, with a young, energetic and hungry team we are all willing on. Confidence is massive in sport.

In the background the usual worries - will it be after the Lord Mayors show following the brilliant performance Wednesday? How will we do playing with no recognised c.forward although it could be time for Diallo to come in and do his bit. Then who gets left out as Embleton contributed a lot when he replaced Simms?

I’d take a draw and see it as another step towards a top 10 finish but it’s intriguing to see how far this team can go and they will be going for the win I have no doubt. Really good time to be Safc at the moment imo.

19. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Would hope that Thompson will at least be on the bench.

20. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Great thread

Robertson, Gil T Azell and LAMackem like this.