1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford Short News Items

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i'm on a role now! lol

Great to see Mariappa getting player's player. i think he deserves that..he's had a great season :)

2. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Hornette - Spot on regarding Martin Taylor, for me he has been our most consistent player this season - but diffucult to vote against DG's goals! I also think that Mariappa has been immense this season and has improved massively and can understand why the players have voted for him...

3. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

:) i agree with you w-y...mariappa was in the top 5 apparently. You're right about the goals, and DG has worked really hard, but yes, MT was the most consistant. To be honest, this year it was hard to single anyone out, they've all worked very hard, and individually had some fantastic performances..

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Player of the Season: 1, Danny Graham, 2,710 voting points; 2, Martin Taylor, 1,336; 3, John Eustace, 641; 4, Adrian Mariappa, 470; 5, Don Cowie, 319; 6, Will Buckley, 192; 7, Marvin Sordell; 8, Scott Loach; 9, Lloyd Doyley; 10, Andrew Taylor.

I think that is about right from what I can gather from you guys who get to see more games. DG has to be with all his goals, Taylor was just excellent, John Eustace immense and Mariappa fantastic.

COYH :)

5. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

i'm not sure i wouldn't put Mariappa ahead of Eustace, and somehow Cowie should be higher, but the rest are right so he can't be lol

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Cowie was out injured a bit otherwise he might have been higher

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

But you look at that list and there are some great players all the way down to seventh or eigth place eh? <devil>

8. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To my mind this was an almost season. We were there or thereabouts most of the time, gave as good as we got most of the time, yet with the departure of two excellent loanees we didn't quite have enough depth.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yes - like recent seasons the second half has been tough. Being realistic though is why we are all happy overall with a season that saw us finish mid table - the club survived and did not get relegated - not two things you could have banked last August

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I wonder if we had managed to sign Andy Taylor it would have made the difference. Of course we will never know, yet this has to be a situation when you decide to gamble or not.

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Todays Watty:

Good to see that although he has had shall we say a "quiet" season he is still there - could do us some good if he had a good tournament

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Goalkeepers in the squad are: Frankie Fielding (Blackburn Rovers), Scott Loach (Watford), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough), Alex McCarthy (Reading).

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

14. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

i think we will M Frenchie :)

15. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I hope we will too - and would imagine that his transfer fee would be a bit higher than the £15M quoted.

16. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Ashley will need a move away from Villa if he is to move his career forward, they are stuck in doldrums with a dodo manager...hopefully a move to one of the big 5 will result in a few squid coming our way.

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Hopefully there was no time limit on the sell on clause - we should pocket a bit from that as he surely will not want to stay at Villa

18. Elixir69

Elixir69 Member

Some great opinions here - so many players have excelled this season, voting was difficult. I eventually went for DG, Cowie and Tiny Taylor.

As for the season if we had retained A Taylor and Mutch we would have stormed the league - play-offs defo and it would have been so exciting. When you look at our 61 points yet see how Doyley has struggled at LB and Jenkins has in midfield! It was the QPR home game which reminded me, the way they Sooooooooo deserved to be the best, yet we thrashed them in December. Then you look at the lineups - after MT and Sordell went off we were 5 players (yes FIVE) short of that team. And QPR call themselves the best, with their £35m losses (have I hit a raw nerve??????)

IMO this season we will finish about 10 places above our ranking - NO other side in all the leagues has done that. Stick that up your pipe and smoke it Claridge!!!!!

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Good one Elixir - on a bit of a buzz are we :)

20. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

Promoting Cox (who was previously in charge of school-age academy players) is excellent news. Promoting him while at the same time ensuring that he is not in charge of recruitment is in my opinion even better. Means he can spend 100% of his time overseeing something that he has excelled in for many years, without being bogged down in first team scouting and player valuation/acquisition.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sp...9.Cox_and_Wilson_appointed_by_Watford/?ref=mr