1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford's Greatest Ever 'Keeper (an unscientific poll)

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Sir_Luther_Blissett, Apr 17, 2011.

?

Who is the best Hornet 'keeper you've ever seen?

1. Pat Jennings

2. Mike Walker

3. Andy Rankin

4. Steve Sherwood

5. Tony Coton

6. David James

7. Kevin Miller

8. Alec Chamberlain

9. Ben Foster

10. Scott Loach

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Southbourne Sid

Southbourne Sid New Member

I've voted for Andy Rankin too. He was just so reliable. He made the most difficult save look easy and was great on crosses. Everyone remembers his save at Old Trafford. I remember one night at Scunthorpe, when he made a string of incredible saves. Absolutely fantastic.

2. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Welcome Sid <ok>

3. Sir_Luther_Blissett

My wife's friends with Tony Coton on FB (long story - I've had a couple of excellent correspondences with him, though :smiley:), I think I'll post him a link to this poll <ok>.

4. Norwayhornet

Why not he might like to know he was appreciated!!

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Do that SLB - its good to know you're remembered and appreciated - which he is

Welcome to not606 Sid

6. Norwayhornet

So SLB you have been here a while now ,what do you think of the dark side?

7. Sir_Luther_Blissett

It has its strengths and weaknesses as BBC did. I don't really bother at all with the Beeb now, other than the Prediction League. I've taken all BBC links off my computer, I go elsewhere now.

On the whole I think it's OK here. I would

Allow us to ignore moderators if we wish. If they need to contact us that can happen by email. But this site is too open to a WUM coming in and taking the role of moderator.
    I miss the BBC mods <yikes> to an extent. There is a little too much bigotry on this site. Some of the sectarian, homophobic and racist abuse is not to my liking. If the WFC board went that way I'd be off.
    I'm not sure of the sticky thread phenomenon. It could prove tiresome if there gets too many. I'm not sure now that I want Leo to make the prediction league thread sticky, it'll stay near the top because of the volume of use it gets. I think that may be true of the Nest too. It has such a lot of trade, it'll be near the top of the page. I think there is a sticky thread case for threads like Hornette's charity walk though.
    I think some of the point scoring, 'rep power', achievements, awards etc is a little dull. Is it for the FB generation? Probably.
    But that said we have a vibrant board here. Dare I say it, almost more vibrant than before? It does need more members to widen things, though.

What do you reckons to it?

8. Norwayhornet

I reckon on the whole it is a vast improvement on the old 606 ,and will get better when we can get 2 sides fans to a matchthread!!!
    I love the no 3 min rule! makes it possible to to have a conversation!

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

SLB - are you talking generally when you speak of racist, homophobic and sectarian bigotry? I am not aware of any complaints on that score on the Watford site - if there is and you point it out I can mod it - I am no more in favour of it than you are - or probably the majority of us.

I don't think a WUM could become a moderator here - anyone who does not like the Moderator - including me of course - should contact cyprussydsafc - he is a senior moderaor and would be able to remove / appoint a new moderator. Personally I think the fact that one of our own is able to be mod strengthens the site.

Sticky threads just make it really easy to find certain sites - I would try not to have too many at one time - but the nest is useful at the top but the likes of Moonwalk will only be there for a limited time.

The fact that you can edit your own post - I make thousands of typos so often correct them is good as there is no 3 minute rule.

I think the layout is a bit tedious - rather too much space per post so not as easy to read down and tend to agree that it is the FB generation who are most likely to care about some of the rep power /achievements etc

Overall though now that we have the majority of old 606 users here I think this is a great replacement given the Beeb did not give us much option. This site certainly beats most other alternatives I have looked at - and Ak has examined quite a few

10. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Not on our boards re the bigotry, but you don't have to trawl though much to find it.

I agree with everything you both say, with the exception of sticky threads. I see the Moonwalk is temporary etc and there is a case for that. But don't the others sort themselves out according to what is of interest, last commented on?

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I guess so - even the Moonwalk for that matter - but having three or four easily accessible threads is no real issue as I see it - so long as they seem to be of general interest - I find the Friday fun quite useful to be at the top as it reminds me when I come across some awful pun to punish the rest of you :)

What I do miss from the beeb is the "members page" where you can easily see what you have recently posted on and if there are any replies - then click and go straight to it. Here the best you can do is to pick a thread you have posted on then hit the tab for "last unread"

But there will always be swings and roundabouts.

12. Norwayhornet

I Reckon we have the stickie balance about right! although I can see the logic of SLB s comment!

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Agreed SLB - I stay well clear of many boards - and especially the general chat

14. Norwayhornet

The general text chat is a bit blue and childish but there are some other good articles around,we dont have the monopoly on them!!!