1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wembley Wembley!!

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Apr 23, 2019.

1. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

I may be biased, but, every time I rewatched the 84 cup final video, Sharp was offside for his goal, Sherwood was fouled by Gray and Mo's goal was not as offside as some of the goals we have suffered this season
    So a moral 1-0 to us

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  2. The one thing I really loved on Saturday was I didn't hear any criticism of the players. There's been loads of unfair grief directed to certain players from some areas I've sat in this season so it was a real bonus to hear everyone just get behind them.
    I was trying to explain it at work today - yeah the result was awful but everything else was mind blowing. One of my flat mates is a Sheffield Wednesday fan and he shook my hand when he saw me afterwards - kind of says it all.

3. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

The attacker would be booked now for what Gray did and the goalie might fall over and start rolling around!

The penalty shout was close against Kompany - just brushed his arm as he turned so probably seen them sort given before.

But probably never going to be given unless totally stonewall in a gam like Saturday.

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I certainly didn't think that the penalty shout was justified. He didn't appear to be trying to gain an advantage in any way.

Scullion likes this.
  5. Agreed. What did annoy me in the first half was there were at least two times we played the advantage and the ref blew and pulled us back to our own half.
    And fair play to the wonderful little lad sat behind me with his dad. When the ball came to Kevin Friend and he kicked it to a City player he shouted "oy ref - if you're going to play for city you should wear the same colour shirt" I hope his dad posts on here :)

6. Markthehorn

Agreed - he was turning away and didn't really hit his hand.

More annoying was that Doucoure got booked for dissent meaning he didn't have much of an impact on the game afterwards.

Must have said something serious as not many get a yellow card so early on for that ..

7. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I am finding myself [emoji445] We're going to win 7-6 [emoji445]..
    Picking up a bit here!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

8. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Anyone else think it a little strange Mr Deeney has been conspicuous in his silence since Saturday?

9. Markthehorn

I don't really go on Twitter or Instagram - has anyone commented ?

I wonder if that is why the club made their statement to avoid any player fan (including other clubs trolling ) conflicts ..

I did notice on the Wolves forums they were quite keen to provoke Deeney and Foster.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Hopefully Troy has learnt that silence is sometimes useful to give a bit of time to reflect on our rollercoaster season. We should all know by now being involved in WFC will always be eventful. Maybe those that remember the old days in the fourth division can more appreciate the present relative success.

We will all be back next season full of unrealistic hope, COYHs

rudebwoy, Deleted....... and Scullion like this.

11. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

I heard he was in a swanky Mayfair bar on Saturday evening still in his Cup Final suit with Gerry D...

12. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

This was part of David Squires' cartoon in The Guardian today. Made me chuckle...

upload_2019-5-21_22-48-7.png

13. Markthehorn

Just seen this Mark - hope the result didn't dampen your son's birthday! (For you maybe more so than him..)

At 5 he will have more chances to see us at Wembley I am sure...

Deleted....... likes this.
  14. yorkshirehornet

Agreed....

15. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

When we left home it was 2-0. I saw somewone's phone in the queue to get in the restaurant and it was 4-0. I heard later it was 5, so when we got home i thought I would check to see if we got a late consolation goal only to find it was 6 !!.
    Nothing could dampen my son's birthday, so many smiles all round. As I said in a post, I was probably one of the very few hornets who had something better to do on that Saturday evening. We will go to the next one together.

Hornet-Fez and Markthehorn like this.
  16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Nice words from Magda Pozzo on her instagram feed, it would seem our reaction on Saturday made quite the impression... (Collins Translate doing its best)

Deep Thoughts:
    On Saturday the same day and a few hours of difference Watford played ' the FA CUP final at Wembley against Manchester City, an almost imaginable, unique, ambitious goal... And Udinese a difficult game in a complicated season.. I am angry because in the end you can never rejoice with pride, and even great and imagined goals for a Friuli family are always compensated by fears and uncertainties. Just like in life. But there is a but.

And I enjoyed this here in England. The sense of respect. Pride. Belonging to those who invest and believe. On Monday morning the dean of my son's school, who had followed the television game, in the usual weekly welcome to the students brought as an example the Watford fans who instead of being overwhelmed by anger and disappointment have incited with Pride their gladiators, their team, their family until the last minute. They explain to children from 6 to 13 years the values. I got excited because in the end it takes so little.... Teach values and help them grow with confidence.

Udinese has been permanently in Serie A for 25 years, 34 years of ownership with dedication and passion of the same family (I believe a record for a city of 100,000 inhabitants). Stadium model. And yet it is always questioned. It is not a problem in Udine, the fans have almost always estimated and supported us with pride, but it is an Italian practice. Never united and proud of what we laboriously create.

We ourselves are strict and self-critical at times too much.I felt inadequate these last few weeks for not having been able to be colder and to seize that touch of sincere happiness for an important moment. For not having been able to convey to my children that there are important moments and that we must live them as such and not as if everything was normal. They only experienced tension and suffering.

Let us learn to rejoice. This I wish you and I wish especially to myself. We give importance to exceptional events and let's dwell on mistakes. United, with a spirit of self-critical propositive. Forza

Markthehorn and Deleted....... like this.
  17. That is beautiful. I've been getting a lot of stick at work and in the local because I said it was one of the best days of my life. "You lost 6-0 how coukd you enjoy that?" They won't get it because they don't understand.
    Another occasion was when the Lions blew it in Melbourne in 2001. You have to enjoy the occasion and acknowledge when the opposition were just better - and if the lads in your colours do their best they need to be applauded.
    I get a bit pissed off with some elements of our support sometimes but my goodness they were unreal. Every single one of them should hold their heads up - aside from my gorgeous nieces and wonderful nephews i have never been prouder of much in my life than on Saturday. I honestly don't know why or how that happened with ten minutes left but I will never forget it. Anyone who didn't get it and embrace it - I feel sorry for them.

18. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I have just watched the MOTD hightlights and thought they were pretty fair. We really held our own and were putting up a pretty good show until the double substitution when we went for it. We could have sat on 2/3 - 0 and it would not have looked so bad but TBH I am glad Gracia had the guts to go for it even though it unravelled in the end and most of their latter goals came from us losing the ball and counter attacking effectively - keeping the ball is something we need to do better.

The look Kompany gave Troy after the 6th goal said it all with a lot of sympathy, perhaps embarrassment, from him.

Despite the score I think the team and supporters gained a lot of respect and maybe we will not be just little old Watford anymore.

Hey we came second in the FA Cup, not bad eh.

19. yorkshirehornet

Well said..

20. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

I almost dreaded reading the Watford Observer today, but, a minor report on the match but a lot of coverage of the fans support, how we outshone and out-cheered the City supporters and the pride of the owners about the whole occasion (apart from the final score)
    Also Gomes might be staying for an extra year, perhaps to banish the ghosts from the final
    Also a photo of De-Bruyne applauding the Watford fans after the final whistle, maybe wishing the City fans would appreciate a win as much as we appreciated a defeat
    Just one or two of their squad would turn us into a top four/six team