1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread WHam v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by saintPort&Ginger, Apr 24, 2024.

?

Will we...

1. Win,

14.3%
  2. lose,

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. or draw?

14.3%
  4. Does it matter?

28.6%
  5. We've done better than expected this season

42.9%
  1. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

100% Southgate would prefer to have a 6 week window to get all his players together before a tournament to train them in his tactics and formations, squad building, play friendlies and try things.

rather than current format of you pick a squad in September to play a couple of matches based on who is in form thrm. Then get to November and play a couple more with diff players, because some are injured, some out of form and have to justify by picking X player. Then no game time with them for 4 months before 2 more weeks where pick 5/6 more diff players due to injury and then having to selec 26 squad for a summer tournament.

Absolutely no arguement you can get better training /tactics by having a squad together for 6 weeks at end of regular season then split across 4/5 international breaks at 2 weeks a time where for a few days you’re playing matches, a few days you’re recovering from league games and prob only out on the pitch for 3/4 days of that 2 weeks.

Zanjinho, THE FOOL and Diego like this.
  2. moreinjuredthanowen

He's tired.

But linders etc are all gone over the top too.

Imo the likes of him have lost their edge too

They all have to be fresh with new ideas.

Imo klopps team is now way too easy to play against. The tactics are 433 and things have changed a little but not a lot and we are persistent with inverted rb amd teams just pop the ball over

This is reflected heavily in our performance v top half teams and in Europe.

3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

When would you fit this 6 week window in and could you make sure that the players trained in that window were available when matches came arouned?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. saintPort&Ginger

Any worthwhile manager can see who's a candidate for the national team by watching them at their clubs. Moulding them into a team would be the task in the few weeks before the actual tournament.
    Of course it's not ideal from the point of view of the national team but its priorities are not the only thing to be taken into consideration. We're talking about how to solve the problem of player burn-out, and that would require a compromise from all parties.
    Without breaks the season could be a couple of weeks shorter and still spread the games out more. Players could then have some time off before and after tournaments.
    Do you have any alternative, viable solution? Or do you not think it's a problem in the first place?

Zanjinho and Diego like this.
  5. saintPort&Ginger

The energy has definitely gone from him. The team is a reflection of him so that's why they too look jaded, imo.
    I never wanted him to leave, and for a while I harboured the hope that he'd change his mind, but he looks shot.
    He doesn't need money, so if he's no longer enjoying it then there's no point in carrying on.

6. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I said a while ago that a team reflected its manager and that applies as much as anything to the energy levels and approach to each game. Psychology also plays a big part in sport. If players see the drop in energy and killer instinct in the pack leader, it filters through to them.

Zanjinho likes this.
  7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I agree it can cause problems for some teams but most just seem to get on with it.

Do you think long haul pre season tours should be scrapped by clubs to cut out all the travelling and extra games?

8. saintPort&Ginger

If a team reflects its manager are our lot all going to have to shave their heads now?
    upload_2024-5-3_17-28-3.jpeg

9. saintPort&Ginger

That would be up to the club to make that decision, but at least it would be down to them and they'd stand or fall by their own choices - they don't have much alternative with internationals.

Zanjinho likes this.
  10. johnsonsbaby

<yikes>

A picture from the 24/25 season convention of PL North West football team managers.

You know that from time to time I have the most irrational thoughts - I realised that I'm not taking to Slot because he looks too much like Anthony Taylor. (And no, I don't think all bald men look alike.)

11. moreinjuredthanowen

We can't take nor not take to anyone until they show up as their authentic selves and show what they are like.

I'm not taking any Arne is a lovely fella guff.

I don't know him so he has to show up

Same as rafa did.

Rafa came with a genuine record in Europe and Spain...

Klopp was klopp he was seen as a top man plus charismatic but he also had to get the buy in.

Slot is at a huge disadvantage which is unfair from many fans who want a big name.

If he does a Rodgers I want him gone quick. If he does a klopp then we will buy in.

Rodgers was an egotist and made it about him.

Klopp is just a force of nature but always tried to focus on team and values.

I mean klopp is a vain man. He is. But he never Brough that into the team.

He's had hair plugs. He's got teeth done (ridiculous looking) and got eyes done.

Of course he's vain but he's never once treated a player as below him nor acted like he was the center of attention.

Rodgers did both and also got the teeth and hair and tan.

It's a fine margin called character.

I shall be looking for slots character first then the football ability. Not his name, not what someone else says.

12. johnsonsbaby

Come to Liverpool and get transformed. From his smiling picture, it doesn't look like Slot needs his teeth doing and he'd need a lot of hair plugs ;) He could probably lose a few pounds if he wants the athletic look. I'm honestly not really interested in him at all atm. I want to enjoy the remainder of the season and if and when I find some enthusiasm for post - Klopp, I will be honing in on the new man's character first and foremost. I think we will be able to tell pretty quickly if he is the right fit. Whatever that means.

13. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

Forum Moderator

At the end of the prem season.

You get rid of every 2 week international break and condense them into an end of season thing.

the matches would all fall in that period so there’s no reason they aren’t available?

Zanjinho and Diego like this.
  14. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

Forum Moderator

When you say most, you mean every team. No prem team in history of football hasn’t just got on with it. They’ve all competed in every comp they compete in and every game.

we’ll except 1. One club that thought the fa cup was beneath them and went off to do their own thing. Can’t remember their name

Zanjinho and johnsonsbaby like this.
  15. moreinjuredthanowen

Rodgers did the teeth and the weight and the fake tan.

I do think he did something to hair line too.

I think we know the right fit.

A) you have to pander to fans somewhat but not appear fake doing so. Fans have egos. If you tell lfc they are not the biggest or best you are thr worst in the world. The reality is the club will never again be the biggest or best as long as the money is as it is.

B) you have to genuinely understand the fans. The nature of the city. Rafa got it. Imo Rodgers never did.

C) you have to know the club can't be the best but try to live it anyway. You cannot say a draw is a good result. You have to play to win it all anyway

16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Anyone got a link?

17. moreinjuredthanowen

I'm sure it's on lfc TV in the full. I'll look to see if it's free.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

Zanjinho likes this.
  19. moreinjuredthanowen

Nobody has reported on the fifa comment at the end.

A very well paid job, well not the official part. Little laugh to himself.

Just called the whole thing corrupt as ****.

Laughed at their corruption

20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

The 433 is a Liverpool tactic imposed on Klopp. At Dortmund, he played 4231. We've just reportedly rejected a manager that refused to play 433.