1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What 3 things made you vote to leave Europe ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, May 30, 2021.

1. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

But scruffy chavs and knocked up lasses help elect the government. I think they are in the minority, many of whom don’t bother to vote. If I look at the crowds in Sunderland shopping centre on Sat afternoon I see the vast majority appear to be just like me: average intelligence, cleanly dressed (if sometimes excessively casual) and mostly law abiding. Just ordinary, respectable people. And most have an opinion on life matters and political affairs. Mind you, there are the type (in the minority) who are real knuckle heads. I was Presiding Officer during a general election years ago. A woman collected her ballot paper, walked half way to the booth, stopped and thought. “I don’t know who to vote for” she muttered. (And this after months of electioneering propaganda). “Oh, well. I suppose we are due for a change!” And thus the Thatcher years were born.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

1. Immigration.
    2. EU constantly undermining our laws
    3. European Parliament frequently critical of anything to do with the UK

3. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

As Confucius says it should never have been left to us to decide. There was a democratically elected government voted in to make these decisions for us. Cameron totally bottled it the w*nker. He maybe should have stuck to f*cking pigs.

RTB, Nordic, Disco down under and 4 others like this.
  4. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

But at least the great unwashed got it right in this psrticular instance Disco.

A referendum was the only way it was going to pass as the politicians were more concerned about the religious contributors to their party than what's right for society as a whole.

5. Best uncapped Keeper

Best uncapped Keeper Well-Known Member

As said we pay our Ministers and MPs well to represent us and a referendum is an abregation of responsibility. If they want to simply enact the outcome of referenda / opinions and become delegates rather than representatives then they should be paid accordingly. I voted remain so I have no answer to the original question.

Confucius likes this.
  6. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

And that sums it all up perfectly. In my experience governments only call for a referendum if they know it's goung to piss off a large % of their constituents.

That way they can say "It wasn't me, it was your neighbours"

7. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Not so sure that referendums are that bad...politicians imho are a lot worse that the average person... most of them would struggle to give a straight answer if asked 'does siht stink'

Cummings is a Tawt, but he was right when he said, having as an option Bonko or Corbyn was appalling...

As technology improves it will be easier to hold referendums...Switzerland iirc holds quite a few...

Ask Mrs Krankie what she thinks about referendums

Ps just looked it up Switzerland has had 550 referendums since 1848

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    farnboromackem likes this.
  8. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

Yes if they vote they elect people to do what is best for the nation. They don’t know how the economics of the EU would affect us good or bad, they’d expect MPs to know that though. There are certain things we shouldn’t decide on because we don’t know anything about them. Knuckle heads, ordinary people, whoever there isn’t one of them who would know how this would affect us

9. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I would let Mrs Krankie have that 2nd referendum if in the event she loses she goes immediately and there will be no more for 10 years. She is another power mad lunatic.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  10. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Mainly to remove the go-to excuse for UK politicians for not doing their jobs. We see the political class eating itself and hopefully something better will replace it.

Other considerations were the bloc obviously being run for the benefit of only one or two countries, and the amount of money wasted.

samwise_new and Makemstine Roger like this.

11. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Sadly they seem to have plenty more ....

clockstander likes this.
  12. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Allardyce approach - remove the shirkers' excuses one by one, and they'll either get their act together or bugger off.

Our local MP has just gotten a new mass vaccination centre opened because the nearest one was 40 minutes away. Actually working for constituents, crazy.

13. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Sorry, I worded that wrong. I wasn't meaning to sound derogatory to the Aussie public, just that they simply should not have had a say in it at all.

I very much consider myself one of the great unwashed!

Thank God it passed. In my mind, shame on anyone who voted no. I just cannot understand how anyone could possible feel they have the right to get in the way of it.

Just ****s me off that politicians won't make a decision that is clearly the right one for the time because they're pandering to people hiding bigotry behind religion.

Ozzymac likes this.
  14. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

Judging by all the conflicting views put forward at the time, neither did the politicians.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  15. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

I will never agree that the same people who vote for our MPs can't also vote to decide on other issues, rather than letting MPs vote on them.

For a start off, MPs are members of political parties and will vote along party lines, wheras the public will vote as it wants to. It is easier for vested interests to lobby fewer MPs than an entire voting population.

I will always wish Cameron a special place in hell for resigning after the referendum when he had repeatedly said that he would stay on to lead the UK whatever the result. Whoever was going to be around to lead the UK after the referendum was one of the main factors which affected the vote.

I think that the referendum should have had some pre-referrendum ballots to have agreed on certain strictures and targets to be built into the main referendum. Eg should 16+ be allowed to vote? What models of stay and of leave do people support? Simple nationwide majority? Simple majority but same result in each UK country? Minimum majority percentage - 55%, 60%, 65% 66.67%, 70%, etc,

Once we hit the pandemic then I believe the leave transition process should have been paused and extended until the worldwide pandemic was defeated.

16. spirit of 73

spirit of 73 Well-Known Member

Smug I was just giving an example of how the government were able to react when the control of provisioning was within the sovereign state

17. Smug in Boots

That's fair enough mate, I was more interested in how people expected to benefit from voting to leave Europe.

I'm really interested as I personally think it's a terrible decision and believe it'll take years to recover from.

DH4 likes this.
  18. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Or not

19. Smug in Boots

Of course, it's just my opinion and I doubt people will change their views whatever happens.

I've always taken the view that it's good practice not to fall out with your nearest neighbours ...

... before I left France I could already sense a row brewing about the leylandii.

alan reed likes this.
  20. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

The labour party refused a referendum, the tories then said vote for us and we'll give you the referendum.
    Both parties have failed the country, behind Germany we were the biggest hitters in the EU, had either party put their foot down instead of pussy footing around we wouldn't even have needed a referendum.
    Germany were devastated when we were leaving, that was because they knew how beneficial it was having us as part of the EU.
    If Blair, Brown or Cameron had done their jobs properly with Germany we could have been in pole position, but they didn't they just allowed all the other members to bully them.
    As I've said before I would never criticise anyone for which way they voted, but I do believe that a lot of people, myself included didn't, and still don't know what exactly we were voting for.