1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic What Are You Watching

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

We try these BBC short dramas, and have been very good.

GF suggested "The Cry". Like "Killing Eve" I'd never heard of it, and didn't fancy it.

But like Killing Eve, The Cry was fantastic. I really didn't like the first episode and half of the second. It kick into gear and was such a good watch.

JM Fan likes this.
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up FML, I recorded the series and have only watched the first one which I found hard going.

With your post I shall now watch the other three <cheers>

3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

4. Forgot_My_Lines

End of the 2nd episode was a game changer. Continued to grip from there.

canary-dave likes this.
  5. canary-dave

Sunday 18th November on channel 4 at 2100.

"The interrogation of Tony Martin!"

Could be very interesting, it divided the Nation back in the day. <cheers>

6. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

That's because the nation has too many idiots. the crooks got the minimum they deserved. Tony Martin shouldn't have served a single day. We'd all be better off if the shots had proved fatal.

Bah!

7. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

That's the spirit! Let's all mirror the yanks and arm ourselves, just in case.

I was an idiot when I ran shops and merely chased people down the road when they snuck a 'mayfair' inside a newspaper. Should have let them have both barrels! <ok>

8. canary-dave

It's not cut and dried in this particular case. Tony Martin lived alone in a big farmhouse and had been broken into several times

He portrayed himself as a timid man in fear of being attacked by a burglar

If the lad that died had been a ne'erdowell from a local housing estate he may have received more sympathy than the fact that the lad was from a traveller's site in Newark

9. ncgandy

Burglary is heinous and intrusive, but doesn't deserve the death penalty in my opinion.
    I've worked extensively in the fens, and what a weird bunch. Claxons going off when you open the gates, steel sheets over the doors and windows (and in one case, a stockade of firearms under a snooker table).

10. canary-dave

We are definitely NOT going to fall out over this Mel, but if that young toerag and his equally crooked uncle had not tried to take what was not their property, nothing would have happened. <ok>

General Melchett likes this.

11. ncgandy

Guns man, don't get me started. Let's agree to disagree amicably (as we always do on those rare occasions) <ok>

canary-dave likes this.
  12. General Melchett

My take I suppose is that most burglars have a feeling of relative impunity. They will rarely if ever get caught, even more rarely serve time and more rarely still significant time. Its small wonder the buggers take such a lowlife option.
    Compare that to the poor people who are afraid to be in their own home, the violation of what once was their home and safe space, the increased premiums and heres the real kisser, the increased threat of it happening again! This is what the police told my folks as they want to pinch the new stuff once the insurance comes through.
    So every so often a burglar being; killed or badly wounded might just warn the odd youth that they too might be a victim of their own crime. I keep a large hammer by my bed side and would have no hesitation in swinging it with intent to kill if they are in my house. They are then a direct threat to me and mine and deserve everything they get.
    Like I say though, is the world really a worse place for one of these low life's being extinguished?
    Bah!

KIO likes this.
  13. General Melchett

I'm with you on guns to a large extent. I certainly don't understand why they haven't severely restricted ownership in the US.
    Even here the trouble is that it's the wronguns, posh hunting scum, the odd farmer in general who have them. We'd be better off if none of them had them either.
    I wasn't advocating Martin having a gun or even shooting them in a way. I just think they deserve shooting.

Bah!

14. ncgandy

Fair comment! <laugh><ok>

15. canary-dave

With just 3 commentators on this subject we have the widest range of views.
    All expressed with no falling out.

I will certainly watch it to see which way it will go <cheers>

ncgandy likes this.
  16. canary-dave

I recorded last night's show that was a birthday tribute to Prince Charles.

I wasn't sure whether to record it or not but now, having watched it this morning, I am so glad that I did.

Most of the acts were outstanding and "Charlie Windsor" took all the ribbing in good part.

Bure budgie likes this.
  17. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Given some of the wardrobe choices, i'm now going to have to check out this movie...

18. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Watced BBC drama CARE,by Jimmy McGovern last night.
    It shows the real dilema faced by families trying to deal with a loved one struck down by serious medical conditions.Thought provoking and well worth a look.
    Great acting by Sheridan Smith and Alison Steadman

canary-dave likes this.
  19. General Melchett

I saw it, it certainly highlighted some of the challenges faced by everyone involved. My Father in law went into care a couple of years back once his cousin who had been looking after him could cope no longer. The places he was moved to and from and the failed assessements were all horrible and stressful for the family. The final home he was in was a good one and they genuinely seemed at least reasonnably well staffed. But the place was costing inxs of £800pw.
    The thing I think the in laws found hardest was accepting that he was capable of being violent. But it seems an all to common trait in dementia sufferers and by the end, I think everyone was thinking that it was perhaps a kindness when he passed away.
    I had no great love for my inlaws, but the thought of seeing my own parents possible decent into that level of ill health teriffies me. I will want to help but past a certain point it becomes impossible, certainly if you are working. Food for thought of course is that were both Mum and Dad to need care, I very much doubt I will be earning £1600pw so perhaps becoming their carer would be the most economical option with the greater bonus being sparing them the not exactly lovely world of the elderly care system.

Getting old sucks!

Bah!

20. Forgot_My_Lines

That's really horrible to hear. Sorry to hear that.