1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What on earth.........

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 14, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have been reading around the various boards on Argyle this evening and it is a bit on the strange side to see some of the posts there have been lately.

It seems most people are just waiting for the bubble to burst and the real Argyle to turn up. Can't quite believe what has gone on so far and of course expect the worst. Thing is I find that quite acceptable given that I have followed the Greens for a whole lot of years and have witnessed the disappointment that often follows the hope. However, there are also those who have Argyle promoted already with less than half a season gone. It is kind of difficult to know which way to swing. I start a thread every matchday and sort of say is this the one where the wheels come off. We all know we will eventually lose one but each time up to now it hasn't happened.

I had a look at the prediction thread earlier and wanted to check how high up the league the best forecast for half way was. It is 7th and the majority of us were in double figures. Mostly a bit more optimistic for the final position but not a lot better. I can't quite get a feel for a buster of a season at the minute yet the players continue to get results. Do most people think we are going to implode in the near future across league one? I think some of the "biggies" in the league do and they are just waiting for something to go wrong in our camp. Trouble is I think so do our own people.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It is puzzling when you think that we have injuries still ...going back to last season and during pre-season training.

George Cooper out a year.....liked and disliked....would he get into this team ?

James Bolton...injured during pre-season training....was seen as a good purchase to strengthen our defence....yet to play

Niall Ennis...surprised us with his goal scoring at the end of last season...injured pre-season training....yet to play.

Will they be like "new" players to the squad and freshen it up as others become injured or tired with the effort put in....plus a couple of new players in January would help.

And of course retaining Broom and Galloway at least until the summer.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

And there is money for a couple of players in the transfer window. This was mentioned back in the summer when we didn't quite achieve the recruitment plan. Presumably that hasn't been hurt by strong attendances so far.

We're more than a third of the way through the season and here we are top. There will be tough games and we'll lose some eventually. I get the impression this group is very tight knit and confident in each other's ability. I think they'll bounce back when we do lose. This contrasts sharply with last year when at times towards the end of season, team spirit looked non-existent

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Story in the Herald today by Broome who says this is the best team he has played in. It seems all of them without any exception are happy as Larry to be here and not a bad word is said by anyone. That seems to confirm the very tight knit group theory we have. I'm not making any predictions about going up, staying at the top or even doing the pay offs but this squad put me in mind of the Sturrock bunch who gained promotion in a record busting season. They trained together, mixed outside of work and I used to see them on Mutley Plain at times out together for a beer or two. Whilst I wouldn't expect this lot to be out on the Town I get the impression they might have a BBQ or two together at times and mingle quite a bit.

5. notDistantGreen

I paid the £45 for access to video interviews etc at the start of the season. I'm not sure what those who haven't can see but the comradeship and pride in each other and the club comes out in what the players say.

I know they aren't going to slag each other off and I know it's all part of the PR machine but there's a ring of truth in it - Hardie & Jephcott openly making fun of each other and their scoring rivalries.

Dan Scarr doing a Q&A on his team mates - Worst Dresser - Jordan Houghton. Most Time In Front Of The Mirror - Joe Edwards etc etc. There's a naturalness and obviously confidence that nobody's going to be offended.

6. notDistantGreen

Oh another one. Scarr was asked what it was like playing in a new and parsimonious back 3. He said he's got Galloway on one side who's played 18 times in the EPL and James Wilson on the other side who's got nearly 300 senior appearances, so when in doubt, he does what they do.