1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What sets the GAA apart

Discussion in 'GAA' started by RebelBhoy, Jul 2, 2013.

1. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Letter to the Times;

Spirit of the GAA
    Topics:
    Debate
    Letters
    Tue, Jul 2, 2013, 01:08
    First published:
    Tue, Jul 2, 2013, 01:08

Sir, – My sense of elation on Saturday night in O’Moore Park, as the Dublin hurlers defeated Kilkenny in the Leinster championship, is difficult to put into words. Beside me was my father who was six years of age the last time Dublin achieved such a feat. Gaels up and down the country will appreciate that the feeling of sheer wonder at such a powerful Dublin performance stems not from the fact that we won a Leinster semi-final but that we out-played and out-fought what is almost certainly the greatest team in the history of the game.
    However, as I walked around the hallowed turf after the match, mingling with supporters from both sides exhibiting shock and disbelief for very different reasons, I was taken aback by a sight that will linger in my memory as long as the Dublin victory.
    There, in the middle of the field, some 10 minutes after the final whistle, stood Tommy Walsh of Kilkenny – still glistening with sweat in the warm evening sun, his jersey marked with splashes of blood; possibly his own, possibly not. He was surrounded by children decked both in sky blue and black and amber. He signed every single jersey and match programme. He posed for every single photograph. This man is not accustomed to the bitter of taste of defeat. This living legend who has garnered a record nine all-star awards in a row and won six all-Ireland titles and will surely see more of both, has never before been humbled at such an early stage of the championship. And yet, there he stood, as I watched in awe for a further 10 minutes, putting his arm around every youngster that was ushered before him by an eager parent and patiently waiting as yet another camera phone was pointed at him by an outstretched arm.
    What can I say? For anyone who wonders what is special and unique about the GAA, who wonders what makes it the finest organisation in this country with nothing even remotely like it in the rest of the world, who occasionally, like myself, unthinkingly takes for granted its place at the heart of communities up and down the island, I give you Tommy Walsh – the embodiment of the spirit of the GAA and, for that matter, what might just be great about the people of this country. – Yours, etc,
    PADDY MONAHAN,
    Clancarthy Road,
    Donnycarney, Dublin 5.

2. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

<applause>

Aye,lovely words!

3. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Aren't they just.... And I think Tommy Walsh is a dick....but fair play.

4. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

Ha,ha what Times was it in?

5. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

6. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

[video=youtube_share;EhCoWnBmfl4]http://youtu.be/EhCoWnBmfl4[/video]

That is the most GAA thing ever.

7. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Excellent stuff. Future stars for sure.

8. Super hooper

Super hooper New Member

Good story however the GAA is spending so much money in Dublin promoting
    Both Football and Hurling that it is endanger of having a one County dominating all
    The rest. population of Ireland is under 5 million and Dublin is 1.5 m. The Irish
    Media always praises the large crowd of Dublin supporters approx 30,000.
    Some counties are getting it hard to have many more than that altogether
    Able bodied people to attend. Every county in Ireland travels to wherever
    To play. Dublin footballers have played their last 49 Championship games at home.

Just an aside about T. Walshe, he is probably one of the fittest players in Gaelic
    Games for the past decade , yet he would drink anyone under the table.

9. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

That would be the blue wave and you better get used to it :smile: Dublin make the gaa millions every year, far more than any other county so its in their interest to have strong Dublin teams.

Dublin have not played their last 49 games at home because they would have been playing in Parnell Park if they were playing at home. They said the are happy enough to play anywhere but the gaa want them to play in Croke Park to make the most money off their games.

10. Nordieknights

Nordieknights Member

Dublin are by no means dominant so far in football or Hurling despite the "advantages". Yes the Gaa have to ensure that it's games remain competitive in the metropolis but it's a difficult balancing act. Nobody wants to see a succession of one horse races and even the most ardent of DUbs would soon tire of it should it ever happen.

11. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

I never said they were dominant, my blue wave comment was a joke and I agree with you about the difficult balancing act, I am all for both codes being competitive, the thing is people seem to think the gaa just threw a shed load of cash at Dublin and that's how the hurling team became decent but that's not true, the work was started in the mid 90's and is only starting to pay off now and what was done in Dublin in regards to hurling would not be possible in most other counties.