1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's the best we can hope for?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by TopCat_, Oct 19, 2019.

1. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

There is very little difference in this division in any position. Safc are in one at the moment but personally think it will not take a great deal of change to see a run of positive results.

I hear those who are all doom but there really is nothing that can be done till January. Hopefully those who can affect change do so, starting on Tuesday.

Anyway that’s me.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  2. Gadzooks

Gadzooks New Member

I recdkon it took about 45 minutes to an hour for Parky to realise that is not an 11 he should pick to start a match

3. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Think he will keep burge in goal? The Least of safcs worries but I was surprised at that change

4. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Ipswich, Peterboro, Coventry and Fleetwood all look better equipped than us right now, I can see Wycombe keeping it up too. Hopefully we can nail 5th or 6th!

It's all dependent on the investment/takeover from here. With a little money we can relax, we may not go up this season, but with two windows and spending a few quid we should be able to buy ourselves out of this league and then according to SD we can splash out in the Championship.

The investment is vital and I genuinely worry for us without it. I think it's clear Stewie and Charlie haven't got a pot to piss in and the players at the club are bang average even for league 1 standards. If we don't get money to spend it could have devastating consequences.

5. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I like what you say and hope you are right.

Paradoxically, I think we had a better chance with Ross in charge!

Gil T Azell likes this.
  6. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

We just need to find (or decide upon) a game plan. Pick the right personnel to execute the plan and have every man on the pitch giving everything he has

As it stands I don't think we have ticked any of those boxes this season.

My Bradford-supporting mate is adamant that Parkinson is the right man for us and has nothing but praise for him

I DO wonder how the Wyke injury will affect the way PP sets up the team. Surely there has to be some way of getting the best out of Grigg

I don't think that XI yesterday is a million miles away - I like the idea of Power and O'Nien playing just behind Grigg, but we need something more than Leadbitter or McGeouch protecting the back four

clockstander likes this.
  7. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

I think you nailed it.
    We are not going to get exciting football from this bloke and that isnt a surprise to anyone.
    I dont know why but I think with him if we get to play offs we may somehow pull it off
    ...gut feeling nothing else

Sunderpitt and TopCat_ like this.
  8. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Play offs. Not a cat in hells chance of automatic.

9. Clint Eastwood

Best we can hope for is to tread water till January and hope that this takeover has gone through.

Danube likes this.
  10. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

If we can just get on some kind of run we'll shoot up the league. Will we tho? Who knows.

11. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Given our current personnel, I think it's imperative we play Maguire. Last season, when we did show glimpses of looking like a team, it was Maguire that seemed to make us tick. He seemed to be the link man.
    I know he frustrated many last season (me included at times), but his inconsistency is the reason he hasn't played higher up the leagues. There's no doubt in my mind, that on his day, he can pull the side together.

Gil T Azell and Sunderpitt like this.
  12. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

There is still plenty of time to obtain a top two place, if, and its a big if, if Parkinson can quickly motivate the team.

Im not writing our chances off.................yet

Gil T Azell, Nig and Sunderpitt like this.
  13. Danube

Danube Active Member

Play-offs if we're lucky.

If investment comes in January it'll be too late to change much. Not many clubs offload good players in that window

14. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

Sadly, at present this seems to be true, still, I see us beating Tranmere on Tues, and more optimism will ensue.

15. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I think motivation is certainly a big factor in turning us around, as confidence levels appear to be low. On top of that though,I think Parkinson needs to find the right shape for the personnel at his disposal. We're not a team, just a bunch of individuals hoping for the best.

Gil T Azell, Nig and Jack Ford like this.
  16. TopCat_

Ipswich getting humped by Accrington, Didn't see that coming

17. Danube

Danube Active Member

Grigg is a proven goalscorer in Div 1 - as is Wyke.
    Neither are able to score so I deduce that this is down to our style of play.
    Grigg's attitude and body language however DOES leave a lot to be desired

18. TopCat_

The thing about Grigg is that he's never been a player who looks particularly emotional or demonstrative on the pitch. Look at the goal he scored for Wigan against Man City. he barely celebrated.

When a player is like that, but is scoring no-one even notices. When a player is like that and is in the sort of bad run that Grigg is having it becomes a huge talking point

I look back to his home debut (Accrington?) when we went round the keeper and missed the open goal. I DO wonder what might have been different for him if he'd slotted that one home. He's missed a few sitters now and whilst the goals he HAS scored have all been good finishes, it looks to me as though his confidence is completely shot

EDIT: Might have been Blackpool. Can't remember - was definitely a night game

Sandy Camel likes this.
  19. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I was glad he at least had the bollox to do that, McLaughlin is a great keeper in this division at least but hasn't been of sorts recently so made no sense to stick with him like Ross did.

Too early to tell how things will pan out under Parky but hopefully a win against Tranmere will keep us in touch and he quickly evaluates what needs to be done to improve.
    That done I'm hoping for the play offs,

Trying to be positive and optimistic .

clockstander and SAFCY like this.
  20. 6inarow

6inarow Well-Known Member

Accrington were absolute gash when we were there a couple of weeks ago...theres hope yet for us then!