1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's wrong with the game

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

This comment by JJenas just sums it up for me as to what is wrong with the modern game (my emphasis).

Jermaine Jenas

Former Tottenham midfielder on BBC One

It's another incident that I've seen given in the past - but for me Alvaro Morata goes down very easily there. It's a tough one though, because there is contact, so he's within his rights to go down. I don't envy the referee.

2. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Contact? It was a blatant dive by Morata, he got what he deserved.

3. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Totally agree with you on this. Had a rant a few years back on exactly the same point and even wrote to thee PL or FA can’t remember which now and got a non response, response.

Idiots like Jenas should spend a little time reading the rules before commenting on subjects they don’t but should know.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  4. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

It's bollocks mate.

5. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny

The only contact sport where contact is seem by some as an automatic foul.

6. BiffaBacon

BiffaBacon Member

The key for me is the "he's within his rights " comment. What he's saying is that consciously the player feels contact and then decides to swan-dive to the ground deliberately. To me that's cheating and he should attempt to stay upright to the best of his ability and if ultimately he can't do that and ends on the ground then the ref has a call to make.

7. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

A dive is a dive is a dive. Contact or not. If I feel contact on the bus do I dive down and get granny anny kicked off for fouling me?

This there was contact ****e gets right on my tit end. A foul is where someone has impeded play. If the player gets contact but can continue as if he had not had any contact then he has not been impeded. It really is not difficult.

It’s getting out of hand now.

8. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

You’d be hard pressed to find a more worthless sack of crap organisation than the FA.

9. Dorty Dogbreath

I mean, which arse-licker at the BBC gave jenas a job anyway? He's crap.

10. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I think we know any old **** can get a job as a pundit, hence why we see the likes of Joey Barton, Michael Owen, Graeme Souness and Steve McClaren regularly giving their priceless insights at half time.

Marra SAFC 77 likes this.

11. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

They're hardly bastions of world football like, they know nowt more than the average fan in my opinion. That's what's ****ing wrong with the game, giving dickheads like this a licence to preach total and utter bollocks to national audiences. All they are doing is making themselves look bigger dickheads whilst getting paid for the privilege. Although as a licence payer it irks me that my hard earned geld is being spunked on these ****ing morons. The BBC should be ran by Jim Henson given the amount of muppets that it churns out onto our tellyboxes.....****ing muppet central it is !

12. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

CroneM, which is why Mrs Deluded and myself have ditched the TV licence and have got all of our viewing pleasure from catch-up TV (not BBC) and Netflix.

13. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

^^^^Has a problem with ex-players/managers of Newcastle <laugh>

14. Dorty Dogbreath

Well spotted Mick <laugh>

Mick O'Toon likes this.
  15. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I have a problem with Barton and Owen, cos they're total ****s. I don't have such a problem with McClaren and Souness, they were just **** managers who got the boot.

It's really the fact they make utterly atrocious pundits - i.e. Joey Barton spending all of an Everton game slating David Unsworth, Owen being a dreary little prick that always sits on the fence, and Souness being an interminable half time bore. The likes of Danny Murphy, Neville etc offer interestings points and insights, even Shearer's managed to up his game in recent times and be a decent pundit, those 4 however are a waste of airwaves.

Mick O'Toon likes this.
  16. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

Unless he's commenting on a Liverpool game of course !

17. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

I actually like Souness, as a fellah, and would happily share an evening with him swapping pints. It was simply the case that he wasn't up to management when outside of the Liverpool bubble, as was Dalgleish.

The latter I have no time for at all and wouldn't even give him a second hand Irn-Bru that had been cleansed by my kidneys.

18. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

It was clearly a dive because being tugged back doesn't make you fall forward horizontally <doh>

What I would say is that anywhere else on the pitch, it's probably a foul though.

Players don't help themselves, but also refs don't help themelves by not giving fouls for people when they don't go down. How many times have we seen a player fouled, stay on their feet and not get the foul? Means they have to force themselves to go down which will always look unnatural.

19. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

Souness came over here as a pundit(Irish telly) and couldn't believe how frank everyone was,he wouldn't get away with it in England(wouldn't be employed) and he grows into but BBC and Sky don't like any bad vibes cos both selling a product,just saying.

20. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don’t have a problem with biased or crap pundits - I am generally watching the football anyway. Its no worse than having some twat sat next to you who moans all game about a particular player.
    What I dont like are these new found attempts by pundits to try and get players disciplined for actions ref missed, by replaying Shelvey for example nutting someone over and over. Gets to the point where FA have to take retrospective action because of the publicity. Too easy for them to pick on players they don’t like.
    On the subject of diving if player could stay on his feet then its a dive. Two actions could eliminate diving completely:
    - ref playing advantage rule properly and awarding a penalty if player is impeded, carries on but then fluffs his subsequent shot
    - big bans for players going down too easily