1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where were you...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

When Shane scored that goal?

I'd say it's very likely that he's played his last game for us now, so seems a good a time as any to reminisce about his finest moment.

I was in the Prince Of Wales in Northam which was essentially empty. With my Liverpool supporting mate, the landlord, some crackhead woman, and an industrial worker who'd clearly bunked off to watch the final ten minutes.

The absolute scenes in the pub of us 4 strangers dancing around hugging each other, and singing que sera sera, while my mate sat slumped staring into his pint will live with me forever.

Feel like everyone's got their own story of that goal, so what's yours?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    StJabbo1, fatletiss, davecg69 and 3 others like this.
  2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I was in my local which was full of plastic Liverpool fans .......I wore my shirt proudly and boy did I cheer the roof off.

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I was behind the goal, right in line with Shane when he took the shot. Even from that far away, it looked like we’d conceded at the other end and we all seemed to be waiting for the ref to give it. Then everything happened really quickly yet at the same time in slow motion. The tension up to that point had become absolutely unbearable, so I’m just thinking, get the ball up this end and hope the ref will blow up. Then, a fraction of a second or half an hour later (Time is relative, Einstein), the impossible happened - the ****ing net bulged! He’s only ****ing scored! No need to pinch myself, the delirious Saints fans jumping all over me and each other confirmed that yes, this was really happening. Freezing cold night too, proper brass monkey weather, steam coming out the fans mouths, and coming off Shane like a racehorse. He was faster than a racehorse that night, and one that scored goals.

Then as we were leaving the ground, the PA played “Hey Jude”, the chorus to which, as we all know, is “La la la, la la la la, Shane Long!!!” I still reckon there was a Saints fan in the Anfield DJs booth that night.

4. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Where was I?

In my front room in sheer delirium.

The tension up to that point helped with the release. I also had a awful cough and actually passed out for 2-3 seconds with a coughing fit.

My neighbours must have thought I was mad, but it was truly one of those football moments where you do not know what to do and the only word you can muster is “YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!“

Or something like that.

5. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

I was there. I'll never forget it. Felt like the longest 90 minutes of my life until the ball hit the net.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  6. Suhari

Suhari Member

Student bar in Sunderland.

Staying at the Premier Inn before a business meeting the next day, and at age 46 or so I was the oldest in thereby miles. Got chatted up by an arty-student chick with daddy issues.

Shane scores more often than me.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Chilcompton Sports Club, which boasts large televisions and, believe it or not, a family of Saints fans in charge of the bar. Absolute mayhem, from the moment Romeu cleared Milner’s corner, to the last chorus of Hey Jude.

Unforgettable, that’s what you are Shane Long.

8. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Running around in circles at home making strange mouth noises.

Ultimate pro is Shane. I mean, not very good, and has clearly declined over the past 12 months, but never complained, never seemed to stop trying.

9. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Watching on a laptop at almost 6am, as bloody always.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  10. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Lying on my sofa I think

11. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

In the Anfield Road in the bit usually occupied by the hole fans. Didn't see the net bulge, just Shane running in and then it was bedlam.

Great night. Lovely young steward who, after our 114th chorus 'We're going to Wembley' asked us very nicely if we could **** off home as he was working the next day. Walking across Stanley Park with Reds fans calling 'good luck against the Mancs'. Sitting in the car ringing every Liverpool fan I knew!

Cheers Shane - and Josh for that matter

Libby, fatletiss, San Tejón and 2 others like this.
  12. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In the away end. And for the only time as a football fan, with a tear in my eye.

Libby and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  13. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

At home with my lad, shaking of a rollicking from the Mrs. Was supposed to be going but the lad had an opening evening to study engineering at Silverstone college.... “great opportunity, my arse” I said as I asked her why she couldn’t go look round and tell us what it’s like, while we’re in Liverpool for the evening. Dashed home from the open evening on time for kick off and then chewed my nails for 94 minutes....

cue Celine.....

The kicker.... the little shister turned down the place he was offered there to stay with his mates at his schools 6th form. :emoticon-0121-angry

14. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

He shoots, he scores, he scores, he sh....

15. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

O'Casey's in The Hague, a footprints on the ceiling moment.

16. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

In the local pub with Mrs S, two minutes from our house with 2 other Saints fans and a load of plastics-did the happy dance (impressed the landlady) and then rushed home so Mrs S could book a hotel for the Wembley final

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  17. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Watched it at home on my laptop with ear phones in. When Shane scored, I carried out a magic trick and made my wife and daughter temporarily levitate 3 feet above the sofa as without warning I suddenly yelled "Get in there" at pretty much stadium volume whilst they were engrossed in something on the TV

shoot_spiderman and ChilcoSaint like this.
  18. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

In the away end.

19. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Where were you when....

We lost 9-0 twice....

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

I prefer this thread to the other one. Happy Tuesday everyone xx