1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who to bring in?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Moorpheus19, Dec 15, 2013.

1. [sigh]

Klinsmann has said, time and time again, that he has absolutely no intention of EVER leaving the USA.

2. Zola, anyone?

3. PavonSport

PavonSport Member

Names like Zola and Clarke are extremely depressing imo. We talk about AVB being unproven at this level and being clueless...

4. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

I'll rather Klinsmann wasn't our manager as best we remember him for being a class act, rather then him being ridiculed by fans when things go wrong.

But anyway as mentioned he's happy in USA and enjoying life, the thought of giving that up to be another target for the British Press probably isn't that appealing.

5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

My mistake ... didnt realise

6. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

No way, he's not a Tottenham man and is too high risk. Get Hiddink in until the end of the season. Then review it and if he has us playing out of our skin, offer him a lucrative, long term deal. Simple and flexible.

7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I would definitely go for Laudrup, if he would come. Intelligent, understands the game, and has done a reasonable job at Swansea whilst still learning about the Premier League.

8. Spudulike

Guys, why are we harbouring ambitions after managers with no track record of winning anything in England or Europe for that matter? Zola, Laudrup, Klinsmann, Clarke, Pochettino… okay all with possible potential but isn't that the exact same reason we went for AVB, and look where we ended up?

We need a 'proven' manager. Someone who knows the 'management game', can get us to where we want to be. All these names above are a punt in my opinion and won't guarantee any better results than what we're seeing now.

9. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Winning a trophy?
    I just wanna enjoy watching a spurs match instead of having to endure them

10. Spudulike

What I am implying is a manager who has had success and will get the best out of our team… I don't recall stating a trophy anywhere, but I take your point. We're all hurting and want this idiot gone.

11. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

As I said on the match thread, we need a manager who can:

a) Handle the expectation that the fans have (based on past years and the current worth/believed quality of the squad)
    b) Shore up the defence (not many clean sheets recently - we've had injuries but still)
    c) Improve the link up play with the attack (i.e. get the team scoring)
    d) Get the team actually entertaining the fans

You only get a manager who ticks the box for a) by getting someone proven - you could get b, c and d by trying someone unproven (I would say Redknapp fulfilled at least c and d when he was our boss).

There aren't really any managers (other than Hiddink) who are available and proven. We'll probably have to, again, roll the dice and hope our number comes up.

That is, if AVB is sacked - I think, in reality, if he's not gone in the morning, then he'll get the West Ham match and the Saints match.

12. Spudulike

Probably but why delay the inevitable? I think the situation is now irreparable.

13. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

Because the club won't want to be seen as making a kneejerk reaction.

To which the fans would say:

What about the West Ham match? Club would say freak result - a bad day at the office if you will.
    What about the Man City match? Club would say City are doing that to all the sides this season.

The club would argue that this is the first real bad result - i.e. one in which the manager fully takes the rap.

The club would also point to the Europa League and our progress in the CC cup as reasons not to kick him out.

The above is not necessarily my own thoughts on whether or not he should go now. Just why I think he's not gone yet.

14. Spudulike

You forget to mention the home defeat to Newcastle as well. We went from the tightest defence with a few goals to a defence leaking like a sinking ship, with zero shots at goal. I can't see the board overlooking these facts, not to emotion the dire brand of football he's brought. If the fans are unhappy, they'll stop going to games which affects the gate receipts. If there's any risk of that, the board won't sit around and wait.

They may not do a knee jerk reaction but they need to move fast. For me, AVB is a dead man walking and the club's first job tomorrow morning is to identify potential suitors.

15. timmy5x

timmy5x Member

Think you guy's are being a bit harsh on AVB! Although its not obvious you guy's are in a big transition period, with a largely new team.

It isn't easy to replace one of your best players, some that you buy will work and some won't. we had the same with Torres, Andy Carroll was a failure whereas Suarez worked out but it still took a few years for him to adjust to the PL and the team.

I think there were a lot of teams that we jealous of your summer buy's this year and to be fair you have some very good players, but those of us who remember city's and chelsea's big spending said that as they did, you would struggle to gel this year. Its not as if your way off the pace either only 6 points of 2nd, ahead of Utd and through to the next stage of Europa.

To sack AVB would be a big mistake, he will definately be on of the top managers in the future, just accept it may take a year or two to get back to playing exciting football and challenging at the top, you don't want to become another Chelsea do you?

16. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Plus it makes it difficult to convince a new manager he will be given time if we sack Avb without much thought, especially when we're a few points off 4th.

I don't want Avb here, and never have, but if we want a decent manager we can't act like Chelsea unless we're prepared to spend 100 Mill every year then most managers would be happy to try their luck.

17. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

how about matrin jol,
    I forgot levy stitched him up with someone worse.
    harry wont come back, gus hiddink would be a good shout

18. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

What about Martin Jol?

19. Anyone mention Martin Jol?

20. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

David ginola is doing his coaching licence :)