1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wigan Athletic v Sunderland – Tuesday 21st September 2021 - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Sep 19, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Sep 21, 2021.
  1. Home win (Wafc)

10.3%
  2. Away win (Safc)

48.3%
  3. Draw - Wigan win penalties

5.2%
  4. Draw - Sunderland win penalties

24.1%
  5. Meh - who cares

12.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Every club has some idiots and knuckle dragers, we have a few, who after a couple of halves and surrounded by their mates think they are Billy Bollocks.
    However we should be grateful we have a lot less than the mags, Leeds, Millwall to name a few.

2. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

3. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I know it's wrong and there's little defence but there is a 'reap what you sow' element to this.

At one time players would keep their politics, etc, to themselves. Nowadays some players use their fame to broadcast their views, players such as McClean. Other players, and even worse some managers, no longer leave a club, thank everyone and get on with their future. No, they can't wait to put the boot in and blame the club and supporters. Steve Bruce never missed a chance to attack Sunderland and the supporters who'd given him every chance despite his 'boyhood Newcastle supporter' claims.

So the supporters want to retaliate and only have matches as a platform. I've been guilty of joining in with a few idiotic chants at games but blame drink, heightened emotions and 'wtf' as an excuse. I hate the IRA stuff and anything political. I hate the sex offender nonsense but I see that as a backlash at all the AJ stuff we've had thrown at us by virtually every club we've played. I'm sure Wigan would've been one of those.

Guy Incognito and Nads like this.
  4. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Our club was guilty. One of our players groomed and messed about with an under-age girl. Our CEO at the time swept it under the carpet for as long as she could knowing fine well he was guilty.

Charlie Wyke and Wigan have done nothing of the sort.

5. Smug in Boots

Our supporters weren't.

SAFC2403 and Guy Incognito like this.
  6. Saf

I've only ever heard songs directed at Johnson and our club. Not the supporters.

I would expect a bit from other teams supporters about it, tbh. Our club messed up big time so we had to accept the **** in a way.

Our supporters are just lying and being vindictive towards Charlie Wyke. It's a completely different scenario.

7. Sunderpitt

I would have to admit, on that evening game, I was one of the chanters of 'fat geordie bastard get out of our club'... mind I was only one of 30,000 plus

Smug in Boots likes this.
  8. Smug in Boots

I started my post by saying 'I know it's wrong and there's little defence' ...

... please don't respond as if I've justified the abuse aimed at Wyke.

You're wrong about abuse regarding AJ being directed at Sunderland supporters, I take it you don't go to many away games.

Anyone who does would tell you how wrong you are.

And how can songs be directed at AJ when he's obviously not there, but the supporters are?

Guy Incognito and Young Ted like this.
  9. Saf

No problem. I need to get out to the shops, now. Have a good day.

10. Some idiots have very short memories mate.

Saf likes this.

11. Smug in Boots

That's a bit harsh mate :emoticon-0112-wonde

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

The club wasn’t guilty though.

AJ maintained his innocence to the club right up until trial week. He was a big money signing and a match winner the club had no option but to support him.

It should have been over as soon as the club sacked him.

No excuse for our lot singing in that nature though, disappointing to hear.

Guy Incognito likes this.
  13. Harsh.....why?

14. Sunderpitt

Obviously very happy with the result....

But I will be even more chuffed if we take 6 points off them in the league. My guess is they will raise their game when they next play us...

Remember Lincoln

Guy Incognito likes this.
  15. Smug in Boots

I'd expect support from my employer unless I'd been found guilty of a crime.

As for the chanting, I agree with you.

However, our support is excellent and we've always demonstrated a touch of class.

I think the more sensible supporters will 'shout this down' and things will calm.

Robertson, Nads and Sunderpitt like this.
  16. Smug in Boots

I was just having a joke with you mate, perhaps reading the two bits in bold would explain.

sad-eyed prophet likes this.
  17. Sorry lad,....I'm a bit slower on the uptake these days!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Smug in Boots and Nads like this.
  18. Smug in Boots

Nee bother mate, it was funny seeing you getting riled <laugh>

sad-eyed prophet likes this.
  19. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I think I am of the understanding that Margaret Byrne admitted that Johnson admitted to her that he met up with her more than once and at least kissed her, fairly soon after the story broke. That in itself should have put him on suspension shouldnt it? She also said that it was only her within the club that knew of this fact. Which I dont believe. Like everything else in recent history, we tried to put a sticky plaster on it in the hope it would sort it out, the problem would go away or make it something to worry about later. We hoped he would get some lesser charge or if he got the book thrown at him, either way, we would get our moneys worth out of him before sacking him. When he pleaded guilty and told the court that at least one person within the club knew he'd been up to no good, it dropped the integrity of our club right in the clarts. At the time we all suspected or hoped that it was just some starstruck kid trying to make a scene/money. Hence the idiotic chants in his support by some fans. Between the arrest and his guilty plea our club (or at least one person in our club, our CEO ffs) suspected differently but put money before integrity. Which is understandable when you look at the millions of pounds involved, but because I understand it, it doesnt make it less deplorable. Whole thing was a shambles and, me personally, see our demise as punishment for our clubs behavior. Just pleased we can put a line under it since the errors of our past ownerships are firmly behind us and we can look forward to having a little pride in our club once more.

Saf and Nads like this.
  20. It happens a lot these days mate....I'm not,as you know, "The, Grumpy Old Man",....but,sorry to say, I am A grumpy old man!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Saf and Smug in Boots like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.