1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wigan Athletic vs Southampton 18/03/2018 BBC 1 @ 1:30pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

You know i'm with you there mate...:emoticon-0148-yes:

Archers Road likes this.
  2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Sorry Archers, peddling that tired line doesn’t make it true. Particularly when we’ve only really moved on VVD, and that’s was half way through the season.

If you replace them badly, that’s another thing. And no, we couldn’t carry on doing as we were a couple of seasons back. But *this* season - this season is half the board acting slowly both on player purchases and manager sackings, and half a manager that is stubborn to the point of blindness.

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I keep peddling it because I believe it to be true. We have never, in my opinion, recovered from losing Pelle, Mane, Wanyama and Fonte. You can point at the first half of last season and say we did pretty well without them - we did, didn't we? - but it was a struggle. Then VvD got injured, so did our new in form January signing, and it was a long old run in to May.

You know why we didn't progress in the Europa last season btw? It was because despite dominating our opponents, we scored a total of zero goals (that's none, nada, zilch) away from home in the competition. And why might that have been? Maybe because we gave up 30 odd goals when we let Pelle and Mane go, and we never replaced them.

4. Mostlymadeofwater

Mostlymadeofwater Well-Known Member

Our form is the FA cup is awesome, so good chance of a win here. We are on a 3-0-0 streak in the cup and flying high in the top 8

5. Archers Road

You haven't been drinking mostly water have you?

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

There's truth to it Archers, for sure, but I think the managerial appointments and lack of effective activity in the market (as you allude to in the replacement of the players) are the key issue.

Either way, I guess I'm being a bit too nit-picky on it. The issue is that we have an issue! I just put more weight on the faults of the current manager than you do, which is fine either way.

Saints_Alive and Archers Road like this.
  7. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I really don’t know what to expect from the Saints, for this game.
    I thought we’d get beaten by Fulham, truth be told, so to still be in the competition is a bonus.
    Wigan will know that we are vulnerable from the very first second, so will be putting us under extreme pressure to force errors, which will potentially affect confidence, lowering ours and raising theirs.
    We need eleven players, plus subs, to man up and show the character and bottle that went missing at Newcastle. We need to be more physically aggressive, without overstepping the mark and players (Tadic in particular) need to stop hitting the turf, and conceding possession, when they have been lightly touched.
    Our off the ball movement needs to be better, as well.
    It was mentioned, on MOTD, how Lemina was put under pressure and lost possession, simply because two team mates failed to move into positions, giving him the angle for a simple pass.
    This lack of movement is often why we resort to passing backward or sideways.
    The number of times our wide players pass backwards, because a central player hasn’t moved into a more advanced position, to receive the ball, leaves me perplexed.
    It’s basic football.

8. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Whatever formation we use, it’s not too tricky really. The midfield need to have the courage to support the attack whilst not deserting the defence. So 2 from 4, or 5, need to push up occasionally. Is that too much to ask?

9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

This game will make the Newcastle game look like a good result

10. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

The only thing that would make that result look okay is a extinction class meteor.

11. Archers Road

You're like that bloke the Romans used to hire to keep reminding the emperors that they were going to die <laugh>

HarryTipper, Libby and Saints_Alive like this.
  12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Actually Archers, anyone. Just someone near our striker will help.

13. Archers Road

Agreed.

fatletiss likes this.
  14. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

If any Saints fan is walking around thinking we are some sort of footballing gods right now then send them my way and I'll let them know. Pretty sure I've got a toga somewhere and one of those leafy headgear as well.

15. St.Jerome

St.Jerome Active Member

Can we please just go for it? Let's, for once this season, really attack...

McCarthy
    Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand
    Romeu
    Lemina JWP
    Gabbi Sims
    Carrillo

EDIT: Actually **** it. If he's not injured, I'd have Davis in for Lemina. He'd be captain, score a hat-trick and finally ignore MP's tactics whilst simultaneously giving the rest of the squad the kick up the arse.

Wigan 0-3 Saints

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Carrillo has shown signs of being a capable striker on a couple of occasions in the last few games. All of these times coincided with Sims delivering pinpoint crosses, one to his head, resulting in Gabbiadini scoring, and the other a great chance at the near post on Saturday, which could easily have gone in but for a sharp save. The fact that Sims should be starting is now obvious to most of us, but we also need JWP for set pieces. I see no need for 2 defensive midfielders against Wigan, so my team would be a flexible 4-4-2 as follows:

McCarthy
    Cedric. Stephens. Hoedt. Bertrand
    Sims. Ward-Prowse. Højbjerg. Tadic
    Gabbiadini. Carrillo

I acknowledge there is practically a zero chance of this actually happening.

17. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

To be honest, I do actually agree with that assessment when he is on the left wing.
    When he is more central, he gets lost and we effectively play with 10 men. Plus for some reason as soon as anyone goes near him he falls on the floor. When on the wing, this isn’t as dangerous, as the ball goes out of play. His repeated diving on the floor when more central actually puts us under quite a lot of pressure. I would like to see Sims on the Right and Tadic night on the left every game now

Archers Road likes this.
  18. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that the manager 'rests' a couple of our top stars for WHU so we start Sims and Boufal.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  19. Archers Road

His diving is a bit irritating.

I'd happily go with a three of Tadic, Boufal, Sims behind Carillo. With JWP in front of either Lemina or Romeu.

We'd still be relying on our full backs for width. Note to Cedric - play your crosses along the ground. They're more dangerous that way than 3ft above everyone's head.

20. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I'd like to See Hesketh involved in some way even if it's from the bench.

Just like Sims he's on good form and would give his all. He's also an AM who can score. Not going to get a better chance to try him out - I think it's worth the risk.