1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winchester - the best is yet to come

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

I agree your comments on crowd behaviour. I was thinking about this the other day; the difference between the crowds of Roker Park and present day. Yesterday was reminiscent of the old days. Let’s hope it becomes permanent.

2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I think it will mate. Beyond Roker the Reid years etc and under Sam, we still there, just been beaten down over 8-10 years.

I think people genuinely believe this is all different now and that’s hitting the stands.

3. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

Some of my mates have started going back after a few years in the wilderness, it’s all positive

Robertson and Nads like this.
  4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Aye same mate couple who swore they’d never return as well.

Bear in mind this is still League One, we be mid 30’s at least in the Championship, I’m sure I’m not alone in saying I won’t be offended to sped 2-3 years in the Championship and get the foundations right.

I’m sure the owners don’t share that thought mind <laugh>

Guy Incognito and LBW like this.
  5. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i try not to call players 'brilliant' or 'sh1te' after one or two performances...i think if they have a 10 game run then you can usually see how they are fitting in as others get used to them and vice versa.

it is also fine for a player to have a nervy couple of early games, we have seen it many times as well as a couple of complete 'mares' at times (kirchoff, anyone?) just as we have seen amazing debut appearances but never seem to live up to it in following games.

those calling for LJ to go are a classic example, football is never an overnight fix and this club was always going to drag it's heels for a while and for some reason people just could not (did not want to?) see that LJ was pretty much tied with what he had to work with, very much one dimensional 'try to land it on wyke', now we see a different style and approach to games and those of us that were patient can appreciate it and be happy to get on here and discuss it all, unlike a good few who simply stopped posting, although i expect them back if there is a blip during the season...i just hope we can shake off this 15 point defecit ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  6. Oldsandy

When Dave Watson first came to Roker Park as a centre forward he didn’t impress. Bloke in row in front of me gave him toss every time he fluffed a chance or missed a pass. Watson wasn’t bad, mind, just not good. This was a crowd that a few years earlier were watching Clough and some were still living in the past (10 years is a long time to drag comparisons from). Then Watson was switched to centre half and overnight the crowd loved him. So much contributes to how a player performs - fitness, position on the field, players around him, managers attitude towards him, crowd response etc. I think the point I’m trying to make is that SUSTAINED abuse never produces improvement. Vent frustrations by all means, but then let it go. Today’s crap player could be tomorrow’s favourite with just a small change in what is around him. Sorry for rambling but I hope some of you can understand my somewhat garbled point.:emoticon-0151-skype:emoticon-0113-sleep<sorry>

7. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

neither rambling or garbled, a very good point as a matter of fact and well put.

something we have seen over the years is that sometimes a change in position or players around a lad makes a massive difference to his game.

8. Oldsandy

Thanks Samwise. I’m relieved someone can decipher my ramblings - sometimes I lose myself. I blame age. Well, you gotta have something to blame.

samwise_new and old lads fan like this.