1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by NorthFerribyTiger, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

As my post mentioned earlier in this thread, it's not officially out yet until Microsoft says it is for each computer. The ones that's been downloaded are test versions where drivers etc are being fixed. It's the people who have already downloaded it that are the Guinea pigs!
    Mine says it'll be available in October, however I think I'm just going to delete the link & not bother with it. I actually like Windows 8/8.1. It's easy to use, does what I need it to & windows 10 can wait for my next laptop pre installed!
    I've just updated my iPhone & iPad so just working my way round them. I like the apple handheld but not the Mac which my Mrs has, it seems from what I've read that Microsoft want to make windows 10 the same as a Mac, so for me I don't want that.

2. Sikkedogsvendestykke

Sikkedogsvendestykke Active Member

First I though of replying, then I decided not to, and now I see #121 puts it better than I could.

Windows 10 is lousy just now.

3. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Reading a lot of the posts, I am pleased I took my son's advise and not touch Windows 10 until they iron out all the glitches.

4. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Me too, John - I believe there's a tendency to rush out software developments, before sufficient beta-testing. The Microsoft v. Apple (and Android?) battle means that each will try to upstage the other, leading to a very good chance that things will not be fully ironed out.

5. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Sorry gentlemen, whilst I understand the sentiment surrounding early software releases I'm afraid you will never download anything if you wait for the glitches to be sorted, they never will be hence the rolling updates. There are just too many configurations for the software to fit, this is where Apple have the advantage of making their own devices whereas Windows devices are made by a multitude of vendors all supplying their devices with various add on ie crapware. Android is having the same problems with phones, some phone makers do not send out updates so Google is now trying to remedy this by copying Microsoft and they themselves send out the updates instead of relying on the manufacturers. Windows 10, even with some of the glitches sorted, will still have major updates for the foreseeable future as exploits are found and Microsoft bring out new features. In years past when software was distributed mainly by CD/DVD the first thing you had to do was download upteen updates now the software comes over the internet nothing has changed, updates are a must for any software vendor.

6. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

I've never known it crash so much usually very solid, might just be a coincidence but I will have a look online and see if it's happening to other people

7. gruff

gruff Member

Have you tried it after clearing the cache/cookies and all website data

8. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, i'll give it a read<cheers>

9. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

Fortunately for me (after early teething troubles & a clean install) my W10 seems quite stable (touch wood)....all my peripherals, network & other USB devices work as they should & my boot times are down from 70+ seconds with W8 to around 30 seconds with W10.

The most annoying thing was (until I sorted it) the fact that Windows Update would download & install updates without asking & then reboot when I was in the middle of doing something important