1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winter News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Derek Adams admits that Argyle made a mistake over the Conor Grant loan....personally that is being a little hard on himself....surely Everton should make sure that interest in any of their players meet the rules for loaning out....is it not their club records that show what each players game tally is.....they wouldn't get it wrong surely by playing a player who had accumulated to many yellows or a red card would they....to put forward a player who is illegible to be loaned should mean an automatic fine for the parent club.....the club asking for a player are surely doing it in good faith that that player is available to be loaned to them.

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

It is a bit of both-in my opinion it is unprofessional for a Club to offer a Player for loan in the knowledge that he is ineligible to play. With the benefit of hindsight of course 'someone' at Argyle should have checked his eligibility before the deal was done. The trouble is, all Clubs are inquiring about loads of players all the time and the time frame from enquiry to signing is often several weeks; it might also only be a day or so before the signing date when the relevant people in the Club are informed of an incoming-so the balance of the 'blame' has to lie with the parent Club. I suspect that in this case, the people doing the deal at Everton genuinely weren't aware that he had played in the Checkatrade for their U21s, as that team is run by completely different staff and management than the 1st team.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I think you'll fund that's just news management, damping down a potential controversy by sating "mea culpa". Clearly only Everton could have known what games he'd played and under what circumstances. Their fault buts uch things happen.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Surely they must put people on a list for loaning out. If that is the case then again surely it's up to the club offering their man for loan to check and ensure he is available and it isn't going to waste everyone's time. If they didn't have a list then it would be pretty difficult for managers wanting to borrow players to know who was who and where they were. I can't believe that Adams had his eye on this lad. No manager has got time to do that kind of homework. I agree it's a saving face exercise by us for Everton but it's definately their fault.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A club should know the position of all their players regarding matches played....surely it's part of the development of players in their care, whatever level of progress their playing staff are at..... Everton should of realized that Conor Grant by playing in the Checkatrade and then with Crewe was then unavailable for anything else other than U21 level football until the start of 2018/19 season....that doesn't sound like good player management to me....stymed for the rest of the season to develop his potential.
    Ok Lyndy says that Everton probably have separate staff overseeing U21 players....fair enough, it just needs someone to keep the paperwork up to date for all club players surely. Offering a player for a loan when he isn't legally available should be an automatic fine for the parent club....that should buck their ideas up.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not sure about a fine for them. That seems a bit harsh and it's none of the FA's business really if nothing has actually gone wrong. But, if Everton want to loan us a couple free for the rest of the season as compo then of course we would find it hard to refuse. For midfield I'd like Rooney and one other.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

PAFC been linked with Bristol City striker Gustav Engvall 21 years old for a loan....(2nd time)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Fleetwoods Devante Cole up for grabs....interesting. ...'Blackpool Gazette'.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle have made inquiries about Liverpool's Plymouth born Lloyd Jones possibly being available for a loan.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Callum Rose has had his loan at Dorchester extended until the end of the season.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Talk in Bristol that Paul-Arnold Garita could come back to Argyle on loan.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't know why but I was expecting a signing today. Northampton signed one, Portsmouth signed one, Oxford and Walsall signed one........................Argyle signed?????

13. lyndhurstgreen

It is all very frustrating- but its not for the lack of trying.

14. lyndhurstgreen

I can see your point, but the emphasis(and regulation) is very much on the receiving club to satisfy themselves that all is well. Things went wrong on this occasion but the error was spotted before too much damage was done and we move on.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I know lyndhurst but it's frustrating all this waiting and watching stuff. Try bleddy harder....................

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Disappointing that the emphasis isn't on the loaning club to make sure that any players that they want to put into the loan market are just that....genuinely available to be loaned.
    In this case it's to the benefit of the loaning club....Everton... get their fringe players playing league football at a lower level so that they can see what ability they have.....playing reserve or U21 football doesn't throw them into the cauldron of competitive league and will develop them quicker than none first team football.....personally it isn't to the benefit of Conor Grant or Everton to have him twiddling his thumbs until the summer comes...with probably not ever having a chance to warm the first team bench.
    Maybe playing abroad for awhile is within FIFA's rules regarding loans.....but should 19 year olds have to face all that that would throw up at their age.
    Not many of are better players have had the experience of playing in foreign leagues...so what chance for a 19 year old who cannot play this season at home to have to do it.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Greg Wylde goes on loan to Morecambe. I will never know why we resigned him in the first place. I didn't think he was good enough in league 2 and certainly don't think he is in this league. Somebody on pasoti thinks he could have found a better club than Morecambe. I'm surprised he got an offer at all. Few more pounds in the transfer budget????????????

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I saw him play his first game for Argyle at Wimbledon in August 2015/16 season...Adams first league game as well....we won 2-0 and Wylde scored an absolute screaming volley into the roof of the net....unfortunately its been down hill for him since....including a disastrous year at Millwall.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Alex Fletcher has returned from his Torquay loan...had only two starts in a National League relegation fighting side.

PS.....This means he cannot play for anyone else....other than Argyle of course (same as Conor Grant).

20. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Well the outgoing side of the transfer window seems to have gone better than the incoming one. Is it too late to expect signings now?

I don't altogether agree with Sensible about Wylde. He has a lot of pace and that always unsettles defenders although it's true his final ball was a often lacking. By comparison, Matt Kennedy was a better player but I don't see a lot of difference between Wylde and, say, Grant. At the moment Adams has got Carey and Lameiras in the wide attacking roles and Grant and Jervis on the bench or on the sofa, so it's skill over pace. Perhaps that's one reason he's gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.