1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Women’s Football

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by IwasanotherwatfordR, Sep 14, 2020.

1. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

OK - I know this is isn’t PC but it is my view and for the time being at least, I’m allowed I think, to air it.

I reckon women’s football is utter rubbish and I’m tired of having it rammed down my throat every time I try and catch the results of proper football on the BBC.

Results of 9-0 with 9 different goal scorers reflect the true (school yard game played with a tennis ball) quality.

I don’t believe I’m alone. I really don’t know anyone else remotely interested in this version of the game.

My post is seeking discussion and I am not aiming to offend anyone or upset sensibilities etc.

2. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Totally agree......I’ve seen better football played down my local park on a Sunday morning. And I honestly mean that.
    Add the fact that it now seems obligatory to have a female football player commentator on every show, whether she is up to the job or not.
    Don’t know her name but there was a scouse girl watching a game on Saturday, absolutely no personality and came across awful

WalsallHoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  3. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

don't get me started:steam:

4. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching some of the Womens World Cup last year. Very varied standard but the football seemed better than before, and the best players / teams were pretty good. But otherwise I watch it rarely, so don't know if that improvement is reflecting football at lower levels, though I'd expect it to.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. Staines R's

Genuine question Oslo, what standard do you feel the top womens game is at ? I’m only asking ‘cos all the stuff I’ve seen has been pretty piss poor and reallly hasn’t even been up to League 2 standards.
    Am I missing something ?

6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I got no idea, not sure you can compare. The best women teams would probably get hammered by a half decent team of men (even McClarens!) because of the physical / speed side of the game. But some of the top women players looked to have very good technical skills at the WC, and teams like the USA were obviously well trained and in obviously far better physical shape than some of the other national teams.

Staines R's likes this.
  7. Staines R's

Maybe the stuff I watched was just crap and I was just unlucky then. Might try and watch some more and look at it from a different angle as you make a very good point, physically they will never be on par with any men’s game....but I need to look at it maybe from a technical level.
    When I can I’ll watch again.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  8. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

Womens football is just another level of the football pyramid, the football is of a lower standard the lower down the scale you go,mens national league teams would comfortably beat the top teams in the womans league, as for female pundits commenting on the mens game is just the tv company's conforming with being seen to be PC, Alex Scott seems to be the flavour of the month on the bbc & sky, has good knowledge but I'm not sure Graham Souness is entirely happy sharing tv time with her,

WalsallHoop and qprbeth like this.
  9. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of holding a coaching session for the USA women's team in 1999 when I was out there. They won the world cup that year (nothing to do with me). Ironically when the usa are best in the world at something then they suddenly jump on it. I ended up staying and coaching North Carolina women's (as it was back then). If you compared a girl to a boy of similar age, the girls were technically more gifted. This continued for a few years. I actually wouldnt put it past the usa women to beat the usa men!

kiwiqpr, QPR Oslo and rangercol like this.
  10. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that despite the relative youth of the women's professional game we are already seeing a small number of teams - Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City, plus increasingly Man Utd and Spurs - spending significant sums on their women's teams and effectively creating an elite in the women's game that we have seen develop in the men's game

I don't have a problem with promotion of the women's game - getting more girls active and playing sport has to be a good thing - so long as there is also a dose of reality and the BBC recognises that they are still promoting what is a minority interest sport. Albeit one that is growing

What I do have issue with is the BBC's obsession with American Football!

Steelmonkey likes this.

11. StortfordQPR

Fascinating Bob

You could do with coaching England women. Their capitulation last year after all the (BBC) hype was embarrassing

12. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

It really was quite a surreal environment for football (soccer) at the time. Girls/ women were so much better. I did a few sessions in Brooklyn with Kevin gallens two brothers where we had to be guarded by armed guards.

kiwiqpr and QPR Oslo like this.
  13. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

Members-of-the-Lingerie-Football-League-UK.jpg I reckon it's alright.

14. StortfordQPR

I hadn't realised the Yanks hated QPR so much :emoticon-0112-wonde

15. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Ha ha as if they had ever heard of QPR

16. stanleyparkerbowles

stanleyparkerbowles Well-Known Member

The keepers are terrible

WalsallHoop, surreyhoop and qprbeth like this.
  17. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Top Women's football is possible about national League level.

What you are missing here is women want to play football..and why not it is the beautiful game.

No women do not want to play men ..they want to play competitive games against women.

Some women Lucy Bronze for example could probably holder own in the national League ...if she didn't get kicked off the park.
    But that is it...and no I expect she just wants to be the best English women's footballer.

It is an artificial thing created by TV...women's football...it great.

Yes it's great if you support Arsenal ladies or QPR ladies...but no it's not equivalent to the men's game..

I always wanted to play football..I couldn't 50 years ago ..it was not allowed. I am so happy girls can play proper football now. I would have given my eye teeth to have played as they did.

Do not deride it...it gives a lot of pleasure to girls ladies and women.

You would never say look at those kids...they are crap would you

18. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

It's obviously not of the same standard as the men's game, and I don't choose to watch it either, but I do get that it might need a big push - PR, financial, coaching - to maybe one day get it to a higher level that will be more enjoyable to watch and play.

19. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Enjoyed watching the women’s World Cup matches & there is some talent about, also go & watch my granddaughter play on Sunday’s when I can make it & find it ok & don’t have a problem with the women’s game as long as they keep only women

kiwiqpr and bobmid like this.
  20. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Generally women's football is a struggle to watch for me as the standard is pretty poor.
    However, the top 4 or 5 nations in the world cup were of a pretty decent standard and the USA were very good.

jeffranger, bobmid and QPR Oslo like this.