1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Worried for Hampshire

Discussion in 'County Cricket' started by devonFRATTONiser, May 16, 2011.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With only two draws to show from the opening five County Championship fixture, I am already starting to become concerned for Hampshire's future in Division One.
    Any Hants fans out there care to comment?

2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Last year they lost the first four games so this is an improvement on that! Tahir will be back soon, he'll make a difference as will Carberry.

3. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

Played poorly tonight against N'hants. No confidence in the side, far too tentative batting and bowling lacked belief.

Think we've got to the stage for Championship and CB40 games to just go with the youngsters. Leave the older players & mercanaries for 20/20

4. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

We've been appalling so far this season. I know there's the whole "oh don't worry we're just slow starters" thing going on, but we've been very poor.

5. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

And just been hammered by the next County Champions(please), injuries are not helping you.

6. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I've seen Championship performances against Somerset, Sussex and Lancashire and it doesn't look good. In the first two games the bowling looked too predictable and the batting lacking in concentration and confidence. So it made little sense to produce a greenish wicket against Lancashire who had started with several wins. Predictably the batting couldn't cope at all. Carberry, Lumb maybe, Mascarenhas, Tomlinson need to get fit. Add Tahir and fit-again Dawson and maybe things will improve. Cork's captaincy looks a bit low key too.

7. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I've not been able to go any games this season, but to hear Cork's captaincy is faltering is an issue, with as much experience as he's had you have to worry!!

Nice to see our appalling start has continued though.. the faster people like Carbs and Dimi get back firing on all cylinders the better.

8. jenthesaint1990

jenthesaint1990 Well-Known Member

hopefully our t20 form will carry on in the championship games!!

9. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

It hasn't. Currently being hit round the rose bowl by Yorkshire, so already that game is beyond us and relegation is almost certain now.

I think the county championship form has been down to poor selections and poor wickets. The wickets this year have either been terrible (and we've been deducted points) or they are flat as a pancake.

We seem to be carrying too many squad players for no reason, Kabir Ali, Myburgh, Jones etc. Get shot of them in the close season and next year in Division two, just play the kids. Clearly the club's focus is on T20 only, which I can in someways understand, but in reality, there is little difference being in league 1 or 2 in the championship anyway, so may as well use the 2ndXI and nippers instead of paying big wages to the likes of Ali who never play and when they do, do nothing.

10. RayBerks

RayBerks Member

Well at least for me it will be a ground to visit next season! Looks like I am going to lose Middlesex next season!

11. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Could well lose Surrey as well as they are catching Northants up.