1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wycombe Wanderers v Sunderland – Saturday 8th January 2022 - KO 12:30

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 6, 2022.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Jan 8, 2022.
  1. Home win

4.4%
  2. Away win (Safc)

70.6%
  3. Draw

25.0%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland visit Wycombe in the Skybet League One.
    WWFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland demolished Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe beat Charlton.
    Sunderland midfielder Carl Winchester could be back in the squad after a calf injury, but the Black Cats are expected to make a few changes after Lee Johnson said that Alvez has tested positive for Covid-19 and that there are other injury concerns from the weekend, although he did not name specific players.
    Sunderland completed their first signing of the January transfer window when Trai Hume agreed a 4 and a half year deal from Linfield FC. The 19 year old right back is expected to be named on the bench on Saturday.
    Patterson, Diamond and Hawkes have been recalled from their loans today (Friday).
    Wycombe moved up to 4th place with a 1-0 victory at The Valley. Gareth Ainsworth remained at home for the second game in succession after testing positive for Covid-19, with Vokes netting the winner to leave the Chairboys four points off second-placed Sunderland in League One.
    The Chairboys now have more points than they did after 24 games of the promotion-winning season. By some strange coincidence the 25th game that year was against Sunderland.
    Gareth Ainsworth returned to the training ground on Thursday after completing his Covid isolation.
    Lee johnson:
    "Carl Winchester has missed the last couple of games with a calf problem, but that is a minor injury, after that Aiden is probably the next one that you would like to tick off in terms of getting back, but I wouldn't say that he is close at the moment.
    "How long he'll be exactly I don't know, but I think that it will certainly be at least four to six weeks. He is still not comfortable. He is not running yet. He's been in a brace for a couple of weeks, then he came out of that. He feels very stiff in that knee which is actually a good thing because it is a sign of healing, that laxness goes and it becomes stiffer.
    "Then it's the strength process in the gym, and then it's a case of building up that confidence out on the grass to twist and turn, because his footwork and skill is a big part of his game.
    Gareth Ainsworth:
    "I was fortunate not to have had any symptoms, but obviously if I was carrying the virus it was the right thing to stay at home and prevent it from spreading,
    "It was hard to watch the games without being involved, but we had a good setup including FaceTime calls to our analyst Josh Hart, an earpiece direct to Matt Bloomfield on the bench, and me watching on iFollow! It seemed to work well for us and it was great to get the win at Charlton, but I don't want to have to go through that too often and it's brilliant to be back in the building this week.
    "There's a really good spirit around the place, as there always is. We've had a good week off the back of an important win, and the boys are all excited to get stuck into this great run of games we've got coming up in January, starting with Sunderland on Saturday."
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    CHARLES BREAKSPEAR
    Assistant Referees: Marc Wilson and Dean Treleaven
    Fourth Official: Stuart Butler

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Hoffmann, Doyle, Flanagan, Wright, Neil, Evans, Embleton, Pritchard, Gooch, Stewart, Dajaku
    Team.gif
    Subs:
    Burge, Cirkin, Hume, Younger, Winchester, Taylor, Kimpioka.
    Injured: Willis, Huggins, McGeady, O’Nien, Broadhead.

Wycombe Wanderers
    Stockdale, Grimmer, Forino Joseph, Jacobson, McCarthy, Scowen, Mehmeti, Obita, McCleary, Hanlan, Vokes.
    Subs: Stewart, Wheeler, Thompson, Horgan, Akinfenwa, De Barr, Przybek
    Injured: Gape, Freeman

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    7/5 Wycombe 9/5 Draw 9/4

My two pence:
    An excellent performance against the Owls and although our time at the top of the table was short lived it must have sent a clear message to the teams around us.
    Wycombe will no doubt try all the dark arts to stop us playing football, at least Luke O’Nien will escape the blatant fouls this time round. I can’t make it to the game this weekend, which is a shame as it’s fairly close for me, but I was at the home game at the start of the season when we won 3-1. Then again, I won't have to battle my way out of the full car park <laugh>.
    I’m going for a 1-0 away win.

No Live Stream but it is live on Sky Sports

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Chip, Thome36, Robertson and 29 others like this.
  2. one gary owers

one gary owers Well-Known Member

Yeah It's finally arrived

Good to see

Teessidemackem, RTB and FellTop like this.
  3. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Happy New Year @RTB going for a 1-3 win for the lads. Stewart x2, Gooch

FellTop and RTB like this.
  4. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Great thread as always. I'll go 1-2 to the Lads. I wonder if this is the game Cirkin comes back in and Dajaku has a rest with Gooch moving to the right hand side. More down to their **** style of play than anything else.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    clockstander, FellTop and RTB like this.
  5. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

The only question I really have about your team, is shouldn't Cirkin be LB (or Hume) at least for the 1st half?

Then the problem is does Gooch play and someone else drop to the bench. Personally I would perhaps start Gooch RW and swop him with Dajaku 2nd half.

Wycombe from being an amateur side relatively recently, have risen through the ranks and have done very well, to be commended!

Its a pity then that their manager, players and some of their fans are now such arseholes.

I expect a win... if we can play a full side, injuries and covid permitting.

6. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

I'd definitely be bringing Cirkin back into the team. Assuming everyone is fit and not isolating I'd go:

Hoffmann
    Wright Flanagan Doyle Cirkin
    Neil Winchester
    Gooch Pritchard Embleton
    Stewart​

Subs: Burge, D.Hume, T.Hume, Evans, Dajaku, O'Brien, Kimpioka

Alves out with a runny nose

Hettonista, Sunderlad, RTB and 2 others like this.
  7. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

HA'WAY THE LADS MACKEMS ATTACKEM

Another big game coming up, lets sort the men from the boys now and cement our place in the promotion places. Cooomon.

High Wycombe is an English town northwest of London. It's in the rolling countryside of the Chiltern Hills. Local art and furniture are exhibited at Wycombe Museum, in a centuries-old house with lush gardens. Hughenden Manor is the former residence of Benjamin Disraeli, the 19th-century prime minister. Near town, West Wycombe Park is another stately home. Hell-Fire Caves is an explorable man-made cave network.

Wycombe are called the Chairboys because of the tradition of chair-making in the town of High Wycombe. The nickname was used in the early days of the Club but was only resurrected after the 1980's fanzine Chairboys Gas dug out the name from the history books. Chairs eh ? So Wycombe have support of arses the same as Newcastle :D

Famous peeps from high Wycombe include

• Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Actor | Kick-Ass. ... Geek.

• Sophie Rundle. Actress | Peaky Blinders. ... Wad
    sophie-rundle-4.jpg
    • Lucinda Dryzek. Actress | Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. ... Wad
    images (2).jpeg
    • Anneka Svenska. Actress | outTHERE. ... Wad, big norks and likes doggie.
    images (1).jpeg
    • Sam Coleman. ... Fook nars
    • Jean Shrimpton. ... ????
    • Scott Forbes. ... Anyone ?
    • Alex Kew. Neeone cares.

Screenshot_20220106-202438.png

8. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

LJ was very coy in his press conference yesterday, when questioned about COVID, so I'm expecting some surprises with the team selection.

However, on recent form, I still expect us to take the 3 points on Saturday with a 1-2 win.

9. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Cheers RTB mate, quality as always.

Hell of a game. Lets start like a train again and make them question themselves. Love this team, we can take anyone one in my opinion.

10. FellTop

Never wanted to watch Peaky, all of a sudden I might give it a try...

11. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

It really depends on who is injured / out with covid but I'd be happy for Cirkin to start with Dajaku.
    They have done well really especially under Martin O'Niell and I've never really met a Wycombe fan.
    I do like to visit West Wycombe Park and Hughenden Manor though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  12. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

13. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

This for me as well. Cracking thread as ever @RTB

14. FellTop

Whatever your perspective Wycombe are a solid club and a good side. They will always give everyone a game. I kmow they have a reputatiom, but it isnt fully deserved, and their manager kmows his way around. Tough tough game.

15. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

My two pence:
    An excellent performance against the Owls and although our time at the top of the table was short lived it must have sent a clear message to the teams around us.
    Wycombe will no doubt try all the dark arts to stop us playing football, at least Luke O’Nien will escape the blatant fouls this time round. I can’t make it to the game this weekend, which is a shame as it’s fairly close for me but I was at the home game at the start of the season when we won 3-1. At least I won't have to battle my way out of the full car park <laugh>.
    I’m going for a 1-0 away win.

No Live Stream but it is live on Sky Sports

Ha’way the Lads[/QUOTE]

Great info there RTB especially liked your my two penneths worth, going for a hard fought away win haway the lads

16. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Another cracking thread @RTB

Think this will be a tough battle with the usual Wycombe **** house tactics but our quality to shine through and a 2 - 0 win to us

17. Hettonista

Hettonista Well-Known Member

Cheers RTB, top notch once again. Feel so confident but a bit wary of their ****housery and the random decision generators that call themselves refs in this division. We'll see, haway the lads!!!! OAU <cheers>

18. Makemstine Roger

nice post mate in agreement all the way

Hettonista likes this.
  19. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Glad it's on sky as my streams always keep buffering, hopefully this doesn't.

Pìssed off its a 12:30 kick off as i finish off 12 hour nights sat morning :D

20. Makemstine Roger

got a few good streams for this one , and as for buffering got a cracking deal from BT broadband