1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yesterday's Performance

Discussion in 'Celtic' started by Go G YellowScreen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Go G YellowScreen

Go G YellowScreen Well-Known Member

Absolutely ****ing abysmal. Too many players thinking they just needed to turn up to win. Too many players saving their best for CL games and going through the motions in domestic games. This is especially true of Wanyama who was anonymous yesterday.

In fact, I cannot think of one player who got pass marks. Zaluska just isn't commanding enough or frankly good enough. The sooner Forster is back, the better. The defence was caught sleeping at the first and third goals and the midfield failed to impose themselves on the game apart from a brief period in the first half when Brown raised his game. Alas, it didn't last.

Hooper took his goal well which came about as a result of an all too rare moment of quality. Apart from that though it was as poor as I've seen him play in a long time. Samaras looked like he had regressed back to the Sammy of two years ago.

As for Lassad? His first touch is about as effective as Kenny Miller's. At least Miller had pace on his side.

Overall, a very poor performance and disappointing way to blow our chances of a treble.

Why do we play so badly at Hampden? Fuck knows. All I can say is thank God the Champions League final is at Wembley :smiley:

2. Thomas The Cat

Thomas The Cat Well-Known Member

Mulgrew was having a shocker and should have been hooked, he was truly dreadful.

3. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

Is it just me who would've fancied Forster to get down and palm out Thompson's goal?

4. Go G YellowScreen

Go G YellowScreen Well-Known Member

No, I think he would have kept it out. It was a good finish though.

My main concern is not so much his goalkeeping ability, it's more his lack of command at the back. I don't know if it's a communication problem but our back four regularly struggle when Zaluska's between the sticks.

5. Rustie bugmuncher

Rustie bugmuncher Well-Known Member

no i thought that too as soon as it went in.

absolute ****e yesterday. hopefully that will be a good kick up the arse.

6. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

I was actually rubbing my eyes in disbelief at what I was witnessing. I find it hard to beleive this is the same team who took 4 off Hearts and Dundee Utd.

7. EspaniaCelt

EspaniaCelt Well-Known Member

I thought exactly the same. What has annoyed me most is the fact that every man and his dog knew that St Mirren would be totally up for this game, as are all opposing teams particularly in one-off games, yet this didn't seem to click with our players who obviously couldn't motivate themselves to do what was necessary. Can't take anything away from St Mirren though - they thoroughly deserved their win.

8. Super hooper

Super hooper New Member

The Celtic players having little interest in winning a cup tie !especially a
    League cup tie. In Europe most clubs I'm most leagues have little interest
    In a Minor Cup competition. I think the players are not interested because
    Their bonuses are small or else don exist. Bonuses are paid for winning SPL
    And qualifying for and doing well in Europe .
    Just look at results in England they claimed the FA cup to be best in world and
    Many of top teams beaten this weekend.

I think maybe us as fans should show as little interest in the cups as our players do.
    I expect our foreign players just wouldn't listen to Lennon before cup games. I
    Don't think I have seen Celtic start so laid back with so little concern as yesterday.
    I think the goalie has done exactly as other substitute goalies. Performed reasonably
    well for a game or two and then the bad goalie comes out to play.

9. The Raging Oxter

The Raging Oxter Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense. It was a semi-final, a chance to play a Hampden final and pick up the first piece of silverwear of the season.

Big clubs in the EPL may play weaker teams in the earlier rounds but when they get to the semi-finals they put out full strength teams. The League Cup may not be the most coveted trophy but it's still a cup final, a good day out for the fans and the first part of any potential treble.

10. eric cartman

eric cartman Well-Known Member

Agreed. We have no divine right to expect to just turn up and win, but at least ****ing turn up. Half the players yesterday looked as if they were still on there holidays.

11. Super hooper

Super hooper New Member

Stereo typist , so you think it is utter nonsense. Why then under all the various
    Managers over 60 years have we won so few league Cups. I remember, travelling
    From Ireland , in no comfort in the boats in those days, to watch Celtic hammer
    Partick Thistle. This was when the mighty Jock Stein was Manager and you know
    The story Thistle won four one. I think Harry Hood gave the statistics of our
    League Cup record twenty finals less than half won. In those days there
    Was European Football for the winners and we put up our shoite performance
    Year after year. Stereo do you honestly think any of those players yesterday
    Maybe except the goalie, would keep a league cup medal specially to show
    their grand children. It is a different story for St Mirren beating Celtic on
    their way to league cup final and staying up will be a great season for them
    and bonuses. Celtic players would not have been on bonuses and so they
    would win, if it was reasonably handy. They played St Mirren off the park
    for ten or fifteen minutes before the break and after the break until Charlie
    Messed up big time with penalty. After that they decided it wasn't going to
    Be won easily and they give up.
    Last thing there was no excitement coming out of Lennoxtown before
    Sunday, the club and players did not show cup tie excitement.
    Those players are more interested in their contracts than a good day out
    For the fans. Remember they are Professional, they come first .

12. Hoops440

Hoops440 Member

Zaluska - can't blame him for any of the goals. Not my fav keeper but not to blame.
    Matthews - not his best game but not at fault. Had no outlets in front of him and had to keep passing back.
    Emilio - Dreadful, totally awful and just not good enough. Can't pass or cross or defend. Passenger.
    Wilson - Left alone by awful midfield players, did hid best but exposed too often by lack of cover.
    Mulgrew - Played out of position again. Not a centre-back, never will be. Exposed too often by Emilios absences. Missed penalty that never was.
    Ledely - Absolutely and totally useless. How this man can be wearing the jersey is beyond me. Complete and total passenger in every game.
    Brown - the only player in the the side who got any pass marks, but, even then, as captain should have inspired the side more 5/10.
    Wanyama - Like his cohorts in midfield, didn't make one single tackle. His worst game in the Hoops. Absolutely useless.
    The midfield never fought for one 50/50 ball and they should ALL be dropped for Wednesday V Killie.
    Samaras - Back to his old self. Totally useless waste of space. Again, how he ever gets a jersey in this form is beyond me. Should have been hooked after 25mins.
    Lassad - First touch is non-existant, made one or two good runs but scared to get in the mix of things. Simply not good enough to wear the jersey.
    Hooper - Apart from goal put on a plate by Broonie, did nothing. Like Lassad 1st touch abysmal. He also was **** scared to tackle.

Commons, Stokes and Lustig did more in their short time on the field than most others.

Message to Neil Lennon - Drop the lot of them and get the bhoys in who are hungry to win games.

A shocking and disgusting performance. Refund the fans who paid to go to hampden and watch that abject mysery. Fine those non-triers who blew a chance of a domestic treble at least a weeks wages and donate it to charity.

All these pundits who say St.Mirren deserved it. Yes, I totally agree. They played with passion, desire, hunger and skill - all these elements were sadly lacking in Celtic's team who get paid profoundly more. Shame on you Celtic players, you were a total disgrace!

And, just to put this shambles in perspective, this was more important to me than the prospect of playing in the CL last 16 (against Juve or whoever else). The domestic treble is the BEE AND END ALL! As a fan, season-ticket holder who also goes to most away games, anything else is a bonus. As much as I have enjoyed the european campaigns over the years (and especially this season) the bread and butter is here in the domestic games. We should be, at the very least, putting on a show in all domestic league and cup games.
    Rant over for now. Wednesday 4-0 v Killie

13. Hoops440

Hoops440 Member

And another thing. You all saw the attendance at Hampden yesterday. Live on cooncil TV. St.Mirren outplayed us and their fans outsang us. The Celtic support were shockingly quiet all through the game, very very poor from the fans. In hindsight, Celtic should have bought all available tickets on our allocation and sold them at half price or less. That way we would have filled the place and made it a sporting spectacle for the TV viewers and would have given greater backing and support to the team. Shame on you Celtic!

14. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It should be about contracts or bonuses...a chance to win a trophy, any trophy, should come first... especially when a manager set out a strong team selected from his strongest first team squad of 18.

Celtic players failed to recognise this... St Mirren players didnt.

15. Super hooper

Super hooper New Member

Pud rightly or wrongly these Celtic players believe all the shoite written about them
    Playing at the top table , European elite, they receive big bonuses for winning they
    SPL getting into Champios league, progressing in Champions league etc.
    St Mirren wages are on a much smaller scale ,bonuses for getting to League Cup
    final ( probably more for beating Celtic ) on the way. Easier to see the team with
    more hunger, now it isn't just N L. Team who have let us down in the LC. From the
    Early sixties the fans have suffered, I have suffered and I am fed up but I am saying
    Now never again am I spending money to watch them in the L C . I hope to God I
    Won't next year. They simply don't care.

16. Super hooper

Super hooper New Member

If Celtic win the League this season it will mean in the fifty years up to the season's end Celtic will have won double the number of League titles compared to League Cups . I think that Indicates the little respect the Celtic teams have had for the League Cup over the years.
    Once the qtd of Europe was taken away , the interest previously small drained away
    Completely in players eyes.

17. Bib Fortuna's Maw

I'm fairly sure that the number of individual clubs winning the league cup compared with the league title is far, far more than double.

18. Super hooper

Super hooper New Member

I don't understand your post , Biggus Diccus

19. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Luckily, I was re-directed here by my daily bout of neg-rep <laugh>

You apparently think that Celtic winning half as many league cups as leagues displays a lack of focus on the tournament.

However, over the last fifty years, I think only four teams have won the league compared with quite a lot winning the league cup.

Winners of the league cup in the last 50 years include, from memory, Thistle, Raith Rovers, Livi, Killie, Hibs etc etc.

It's a shorter tournament with a wider amount involved in it and, as statistically a bigger variety of teams win it than the league, it is also less statistically likely that the same team will win it repeatedly.

In short, I don't believe Thistle put an infinitely higher amount of effort into the league cup every season rather than the league to have won won it by a factor of infinity (or 100% depending on your chosen mathematical philosophy - I once did a presentation on dividing by zero :))

And I don't believe that Celtic put 100% or infinity% less effort into UEFA Cup Winners Cup than the league simply by the fact that we've never won it.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

20. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Beeling