1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Brexit

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Dec 20, 2020.

1. AgentofAlnwick

AgentofAlnwick Well-Known Member

Possibly. We've just started out along the yellow brick road. Many have just learned that our Scarecrow P.M only has a brain for ancient Greek.

2. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Ha ha unfortunately the competition for him is pretty similar, in all parties.

3. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Big problem with politics globally that, politicians are just highly educated people who had politics as a side interest and decided to hop into it.

Or, they're career politicians and have learnt how to do the "politicking" very well. not actually how to do the job at hand.

I still hold that the Swiss have the best system, people hired for very specific jobs, the best people for the job. Not some Eton educated or Cambridge attending toff who knows as much about ancient Greek or the infrastructure of Pompeii as they do the economy.

Rafman likes this.
  4. AgentofAlnwick

Starmer has a razor-sharp mind. A bit dull and robotic, but Labour has a future again if he can hold it together.
    Ed Davey's a bit of an ineffectual lightweight, but his heart is definitely in the right place.
    Johnson has no attributes except making people laugh with his affected goofiness and an empty but nice turn of phrase. Not many are laughing now.

5. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Johnson has an optimistic personality, that kinda **** grabs people by the balls and never lets go.

I've said this for ****ing years on politics threads on this site, Labour's biggest weakness is their consistent underestimation of the Conservative loyalists, it's spreading like ****ing wildfire across England and even now Wales too.

Every single time I've said Labour will lose, they have lost heavily despite the polls. I'm sorry, being extremely toxic and shouting people into hiding isn't working for Labour, they just pop up again at the election and vote blue again and again.

Labour need to kick out these ****ing useless mongrels who flooded in with Corbyn and start fresh.

I like Starmer, I think he would be a good prime minister, btw.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  6. AgentofAlnwick

Agree with all that. Can't understand why anyone would find empty optimism appealing in a PM. In his case it's an acronym for Prime Micawber.

7. Southerner

Southerner Active Member

I'm hoping, but not confident that there will be a deal of some description. Only the US election result has given the ERG no deal mission something of a jolt. It amuses me that fishing is still out there.
    As a fairly old man, I doubt I will see the moment we rejoin the European community, but I will live in hope.

'Pause here a moment to consider what monumentally dishonest use the Brexiters make of the romance of coastal ports and fishing villages, whose 12,000 small boat fishermen are more precious for picturesque tourism than the value of their catch. True, the overall UK quota is historically unfair. But the greater injustice by far to our fishers is our own government’s allocation of quotas to large companies. Two-thirds of the UK’s quota of fish goes to just three multinationals; boats under 10m long get just 4% though they account for 77% of fishers. A Greenpeace report found a quarter of Britain’s quota was owned by five families, all in the Sunday Times rich list.

What’s more, Britain is almost alone in allowing holders of the UK quota to sell it to foreign companies: so one Dutch ship, landing its fish in the Netherlands, had the right to catch 23% of the UK’s quota. British “slipper skippers” were allowed to put their feet up and live off the earnings from selling their quota to foreign companies. If concern for our small boat fishing fleet were really the impediment to a vital Brexit deal, the government should be getting tough on preventing this sell-off. If Brexit was for protecting the little boats championed in a flotilla up the Thames ahead of the referendum, where’s the pledge to take the quota off the giant companies to give to them?'

8. Rafman

Rafman Well-Known Member

There's a huge movement in Italy and Greece similar to what we had 5 or 6 years ago campaigning to leave the EU. Sweden, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and Austria are also said to be watching what's happening with us and whether we can make a success of it without the EU.

The General feeling is that Poland will be out of the EU next, both them and Hungary are absolutely fed up of the bureaucracy of the EU telling them what they can and can't do and they want a reform for the EU to revert back to what it was supposed to be, a coalition of countries which share free trade and travel, not a government telling them what to do.

9. Rafman

Rafman Well-Known Member

Utter bullshit. Why not campaign against every vote ever held then and say it wasn't fair because 16 and 17 year olds at that time weren't included. In my opinion 16 and 17 is far too young to actually have an opinion on politics.

magpie290761 likes this.
  10. Rafman

Rafman Well-Known Member

No one wants another referendum apart from people who can't accept the result of the last one.

I do actually think the public should be consulted more though like an actual democracy. I wouldn't be against for example Boris and the EU having an agreement and then putting it to a general vote to see if the actual people of the UK think it's a good deal.

magpie290761 likes this.

11. Rafman

Rafman Well-Known Member

Yet for someone who has a Razor sharp mind, he likes to sit on the fence and then agree with the tories anyway, until afterwards when he turns in to Mr Hindsight.

magpie290761 likes this.
  12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Our deep sea fishing fleet largely died due to the cod wars. This seems to have been completely erased from history for some though.

70% of what we catch, we export to the EU. Without a free trade deal with the EU the already small U.K. fishing industry is ****ed. The idea that we’re about to be create a huge fishing industry again is for the ****ing birds. Oh and most of our territorial waters are off the coast of Scotland btw. That’ll be the same Scotland who are being dragged out of the EU against their will, and will undoubtedly have another independence vote in the none too distant.

13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

This is absolute bullshit. Poland leave the EU? Hahahahaha, go have a look at their recent economic history and come back to me. Oh and this.

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2019/10/14/the-european-union/

Munson. likes this.
  14. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

But but but ... blue passports.

Tobes likes this.
  15. magpie290761

Can’t we trade without a free trade deal?

16. magpie290761

But But But ...... it’s not fair we want another vote

Flash likes this.
  17. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Well-Known Member

Tobes likes this.
  18. Rex Kramer

Yeah we do because we're trying to save the working class

19. Rex Kramer

Sorry but it's true.

I'm out

20. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I don't want another vote. I think the reasoning behind Brexit doesn't stand up to most basic reasoning and was emotional rather than rational but it happened and let's roll with the punches. I think it was going to be a major negative to the economy for a number of years but has probably been dwarfed by Covid-19 now anyway so it's not going to be something we can judge.

Like most people, I'm just bored of it really.

JakartaToon, magpie290761 and Munson. like this.