1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Petition: Allow fans back in stadiums

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Oct 7, 2020.

1. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

There should be plans for non league clubs, they need help soon

Smaller crowds and no indoor areas

2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

This is surely the point though. The “let us get on with it” argument falls flat when you take into account that there will always be people who ignore the rules. This may only be a small number but that is all it takes for the virus to spread and escalate.

I agree that it seems weird that you are allowed to go to pubs/restaurants but not football stadiums. The only logic I can apply is the shouting/singing apparently spreads the virus more and perhaps they are concerned about the PASSION when a goal is scored and everyone starts hugging each other, **** knows.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Talking can certainly spread Covid..and apparently singing and shouting increases this greatly, so that is no doubt a major factor. Pubs and restaurants are certainly risk areas....though at lunchtime you are pretty spread out. We can't expect total logic...some social life is important for general happiness, hence pubs and restaurants being allowed to open with provisos. Economics also important. Football can be played without a crowd...in contrast, there is no point in opening a pub and letting no one in. A real problem for lower league sides of course.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  4. Saintmagic

Yeah that is a big factor as well I’d imagine. Everyone can still watch all the sport on tv, so aren’t missing out on the action in a sense.

Not really the same as watching somebody eat dinner on a cooking show

5. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

I'd say reopen with reduced capacity and safety measures.

The Premier League, who would have larger crowds, could even be excluded to start with if there was concerns or evidence from abroad that the virus is spreading in stadiums. But I think it can be done safely.

The lower leagues and non-league clubs need fans back now though. I have been more at risk in supermarkets than I would be going to watch Eastleigh play.

6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

As somebody said yesterday those who arrive late, go down to the concourse 10 minutes before the halftime whistle, return well after the second half has started and then leave early to avoid the traffic should not be allowed in for these restricted crowd games.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

These guys have a special Pay per view package from Sky. The show starts 10 minutes into the game, cuts out 5 minutes before halftime, restarts 4 minutes into the second half and the screen goes blank on 88 minutes. They still get to hear the fake crowd noise though so they can try and guess who scored, making them run outside to check the final score on the car radio whilst parked on the drive.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

9. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

Really! how close do you sit to people in the pub?

10. AshbySaint

Two wrongs don't make a right

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Generally across the table so facing each other. Your point?

12. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I think he should have said stadia and him a Cambridge graduate too.

13. AshbySaint

Well the seating space at St Marys isn't particularly generous. The area where the food and drink is served can get quite packed. And fans can act like twats

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

It would be nowhere near capacity meaning you're not sat within two metres of anybody (And not facing anybody which is key), the concourse would be managed, and people in pubs also act like ****s.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I would initially only let the concourse be used for access...to the bowl and the toilets. No food or drink served. Should be perfectly safe at a reduced capacity.

16. Saintmagic

If you can’t go 2 hours with out stuffing some pie down your face you have bigger problems than attending a football match

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

I very rarely eat/drink at the match anuway as it tends to be nasty and overpriced ****.

I'm sure the clubs would want to sell 'refreshments' though as it's a revenue stream. Think the idea of mobile vendors was mooted at some point.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I said it before, I am all for it opening at reduced capacity. Will I go in the current climate? Nope. However, a 51 year old guy isn't a cross section of the community and if others want to go so be it. Just as long as there is a sensible approach to the return. Those that go need to realise that the rules are still there to protect for them and to protect the wider community as well.

I miss match day and the day out etc, but it isn't for me at the moment. I'm not living in fear as the FB crackpots put it, just making a decision that suits me.

To be honest I want fans to return so I don't have to listen to the fake crowd on the TV.

Archers Road likes this.
  19. AshbySaint

Absolutely agree but how do work out who can attend or not. Lottery or some other means? Also if you have to wear masks how will you police that?

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0101-sadsm

:emoticon-0107-sweat

:bandit:

FC7880F6-BF91-4962-8B40-9639403D1287.gif

Archers Road likes this.