1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Ched Evans to Oldham decision is...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by South West 'Ulltra, Jan 6, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Bang on.

2. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

What makes you think it wasn't taken seriously during his trial?

3. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

i just woke up , was about to read up on the hostage situation in France when a pic of Bruce on the BBC hompage caught my eye and a headline that he is pro Evans getting back into football questioning his verdict

why is he getting involved For ****s sake ??
    next Allam will be signing him and dressing him up as the mascot

4. Robo

Robo Member

His girlfriend has stood by him in all of this and obviously does not believe he is guilty, well done her. Steve Bruce is entitled to his opinion as is everyone else on here or does he only have an opinion when you allow him to have one?

5. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

really, ALL it's about, is people hold footballers up as role models... people that kick a piece of leather around for 90 minutes per week.
    And get paid handsomely for it.
    Whether he is guilty or not doesn't seem to matter in most peoples eyes. Most school kids want to either become professional footballers or WAGS, because the media in this country holds it up as the thing to be.
    "Falling out of nightclubs, shagging 10 birds a night" - all seen as laudible, when actually, working hard and becoming a teacher or a fireman should be people's goals.

It begs the question: "Is holding him up as a role model lazy parenting?

captain caveman likes this.
  6. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

You didn't need to put the last sentence, Charlie 1; not unless you are being a tad disingenuous, but I'm sure you're not, hey. But my answer is simple, I, like many others have read a great deal about these cases, their investigation, subsequent trial and, in the case of Evans, his applications for leave to appeal and sentence reduction; so I have formed an opinion on that which leads me to believe that the principle of Justice (as opposed to law) was applied fairly in the case of MacDonald, but has left me far from convinced the same can be said in the case of Evans (due to some fairly glaring anomalies in finding culpability) - which is why I welcome this next stage of the legal process, the review currently underway; hopefully, when it concludes we will all understand this law change better than we do. I think the Evans judgement flimsy by taking into account what is in the public domain and the application of common-sense, but perhaps there is more we do not know. Obi states this as a fact, I have not seen anywhere else that it is. have you?

7. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

FFS man, you are being pedantic to the point of stupidity. I think everyone but you realises that the 'Appeal' in question is that for which he applied, was refused and he then contested that refusal and was refused, so it never happened - the only appeal that could directly overturn his conviction. If you cannot stretch your pedantic, tunnelled thinking to focus on the final objective of the applications, refusals and reapplications (yes, you can use appeal here, but it is the wrong one and it seems to confuse you), then it really is not a worthwhile discussion to continue. The point is he never, once, was granted leave to APPEAL, it didn't take place. <doh>

Edit (16:26):

I just read this part properly - it's not me being pedantic, it is you using terms that confuse the discussion; as you say, I am right and at long last we can speak of things correctly.

The rest of it is something you said before and it was hogwash before, too. I believe the justice process should take it's course and in this case it is doing just that, the route that investigates a claim of an incorrect verdict of guilty. I will leave it to the justice system to look into that and offer us their conclusion when they are ready, perhaps you might do the same and stop telling me what you think I am thinking and believing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. captain caveman

captain caveman Well-Known Member

I actually agree with that. There aren't many footballers who I would consider "role models", but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want their job!

9. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

He wasn't granted leave to apply because the conviction was "safe" in the opinion of the initial judge hearing his application and three appeal court judges who heard his appeal against that decision. My apologies for using the wrong terminology.

10. Charlie1

Me too, I bet even OLM would agree with Patty on that one.

11. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I'm afraid I'm unable to agree with Patty on anything, on a point of principal. :emoticon-0145-shake

12. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

meh.

13. Charlie1

It takes a big man to admit he is wrong. Are you saying even though you do agree with Patty on this that you can't say it out loud?

14. Obadiah

We have agreement. I'll stop telling you what you think or believe.

15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

To be honest, I hadn't even read what he said, it generally tends to be a pointless exercise. <laugh>

I would agree though, if you're looking for role models, the last place you should look is on a footballer pitch.

16. Charlie1

I'm gonna take that as an agreement.

17. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

I don't believe I, or anyone else has ever disagreed with that. Apology accepted, no problem. Phew! <ok>

18. Obadiah

As you say phew. I'll try not use short cuts in future that may be misunderstood.

19. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

If role models are needed, they can be found in many places, including football pitches. It is stupid though, to adopt a footballer as a role model simply because he/she plays football. No broad-brush for or against.

20. Obadiah

Although I'd be surprised if a judge thought him innocent and didn't find a way to say the conviction was unsafe and grant him leave to appeal as a result of new evidence or the judges directions or the different verdicts given to him and MacDonald.