1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time for Zola to go - debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yellotoyou, Dec 15, 2013.

1. yellotoyou

yellotoyou Active Member

Kid - ha ha ha - if only - real fan etc etc. - grow up - if you aren't able to have a legitimate debate then don't bother.

2. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I think changing the manager wouldn't be enough in itself to change the play on the field. I have no idea whether GZ has lost the dressing room or not. The fact is we don't have enough strong, experienced characters on the field. Iwelumo was not good enough as a player but right now we could do with some of his experience and attitude when games are not going to plan.

3. Bloother

Bloother Well-Known Member

Guys, Yellowtoyou has only stated what a lot of people are thinking, and as such it is a valid debate. At least respect other peoples opinion. I'm not ready to pull the trigger, but others are, but don't slag someone off because they hold a different opinion.

4. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Well said.

5. Goldentrue

Goldentrue Active Member

I seriously do not think changing the manager is the answer and could in fact end up being disastrous. The current manager last year gave me the best football I have seen us play in the 40 years I have been watching watford. We started this year with some excellent results. We need longer memories and patience.

I do admit we are in a very bad patch. Saturday was awful. Thorne an Murray could not pass to a teammate. Cassetti as bad. Fabrinni cannot stay in his feet. Fessi always seems to try and be too clever. But too me changing the manager is not the answer. I fear free fall if we do.

Let's support Zola through the sticky patch because I think it will turn around

6. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

I think the formation is our problem, 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 is not good. We have too many midfield and not enough strikers. Troy Deeney tries hard but on his own he is not good enough. We must have two strikers or three because what happens when Troy is injured. Fitz Hall is a good addition to the defence, pretty passing is not needed all the time.

7. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

So who are the "others" that are calling for that odious weasel Holloway? Others on other football web sites or those singing negative songs at home games? Of course they are entitled to their opinion, but because they have voiced their opinion does not mean that they are speaking on behalf of others. Personally I would have no truck with him, Colin or any of their ilk - for me supporting Watford is also supporting a club that works to behave in a ethical manner and appointing such a vile creature would not be behaving in such a manner. So it would test my very being as a Watford supporter.
    It is too early for calling for Zola to go, we need to get back to some basics and stay behind the club. Booing and singing negative songs is unacceptable and should stop. Due to family commitments, I have missed the last few home games, but if anyone near me on Boxing Day starts that they will be getting a piece of very unfestive response from me.

8. Mexican Hornet

at least we all care, hope the players do

9. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

"The issue with Sean Dyche at the moment is the lack of imagination and creativity as well as the fact that his team selection does not match the tactics."

A direct quote from a similar thread started just over two years ago, basically calling for the manager's head. Plus ça change! I simply put it here in an attempt to highlight what I would see as the stupidity of getting rid of GFZ at this point in time - consider where SD was then, where he got us to and where he is now.

I think the key word to this argument is 'patience' - some of us have it. some don't & can't even seem to learn it. I just hope that the Pozzos have it, but whether or not they do, they simply don't strike me as the types to listen to a bunch of unhappy supporters. They'll do what they think is best, when they think it is best to do so.

I'm not trying to second guess them, but I do seem to remember that this 'project' was a three year plan to achieve EPL status, so who knows if they are really worried at the moment? And who knows if they are the types to blame a manager - sorry, head coach - when a run of bad results coincides with what is quite possibly the worst list of injured players the club has ever had?

10. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

if you dont beat Millwall on boxing day he will have to go
    it may already be too difficult for Watford to make the playoffs

11. Mexican Hornet

I know, I should let it be, but really, this is much much more than a bad run of results...

I hope Zola comes out if it and we turn a corner.....but he has no tactics and IF the players have lost confidence in him, CIAO

12. Mexican Hornet

Do one mate. You don't belong here.

13. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

but you will have no one to talk too :emoticon-0100-smile

14. Golden Gordon

Golden Gordon Well-Known Member

Not really been able to see any game footage this season, and won't watch Beeb 'highlights' when we've lost-too horrible, and in no way instructive. So I am in no position whatesoever to make any constructive comment... BUT

What I saw last season thrilled me. We then maybe overachieved beyond our dreams, and all of a sudden this season we were a shoo in for the play-offs.

I'm with BB. It was a 3 year plan. In an ideal world that would suggest a steady, rising line on the graph. The real world graph looks nothing like that. It has humps and troughs. We are deep in a deep trough-relegation form indeed if it doesn't bottom out. But I would still expect it to bottom out and a new peak start tof form, slowly, maybe.

I loved GFZ as a player, we all agree he is a nice man, maybe too soft for the top in management, some suggest. I don't know. I think it would be lunacy to throw it all over yet. Stick with it, and solve the goal scoring problems somehow. Plan B doesn't need to be: "stop passing sweetly around midfield ad nauseam until we lose it, lump it forward a bit". For me it needs to be : " Pass it sweetly around, get them hopping and leaving holes for runs from a Vydra-like."

15. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Some really sensible posts here. What are football supporters coming to! <ok>

16. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Something needs to be done, but I don;t think it should be getting rid of Zola... yet!

If we were liek this last season instead of this, then I don;t think anyone would have really battered an eye-lid, but because of the promise of what we did, we were expecting at least the same if not the next step. The problem is we have had another big change in personnel again and it is obvious we are missing the finishing ability of Vydra. We just don't have that natural finisher in the squad anymore

We also don't seem to have a settled back 4. Will be interesting to see if we have kept the same back 4/5 two games in a row. How are they meant to form an understanding if it keeps changing? You could argue that is Zola's fault but there have been a number of injuries in the defence this season. It is also a relatively young squad and we've lost a few old heads.

It also doesn't help that teams have worked us out, so we are not a suprise package anymore. We are seen as a bit of a scalp after last season. Teams have learnt how to play against us. So now Zola must try to work an alternative style if it's not working.

I would give Zola until the end of the season. Try and bring in a couple of players in January - be nice if Udinese could recall Vydra and send him back to us, seeming he's getting no playing time - and go back to the 3-5-2. Hopefully we will also have Hoban back soon, and get a more settled defence.

17. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I donlt really want Zola to go but if he does then we should look no further than Clarke as a replacement manager - if he'll come to us. He was treated shockingly.

18. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes..... agreed...

19. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well the sacking season now seems to be in full swing - I hope the Pozzos don't feel they have to follow suit!

20. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Yes - AVB seems to be a victim of the "no plan B" brigade as well. Strange that he achieves relative success for them in Europe but yet that it isn't enough for some people. General feeling from Spurs fans in the media appears to be that he has been dismissed too early...

:emoticon-0159-music'Tis the season to be jolly...:emoticon-0159-music