1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wyke to Celtic?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Random lad, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I'm sure KLD/SAFC have a long term plan that will involve creating a team that doesn't need changing for the Championship ...

... as you say, that will involve spending money, I'm certain that will happen.

2. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have Marquis on a free. Every time I've watched him he's been worse than Wyke... Says a lot because Wyke is ****e

The Redbaron, Random lad and Comfy like this.
  3. Completely agree. I just can't see the logic of assembling a team of expertise off the field....with all the costs and committment associated....in order to turn this club around and drive it forward,if the main ingredient in any success,i.e. the playing squad and their on pitch performance, is not going to receive the necessary level of investment. Promotion is an absolute must. There is no point at all in making all these backroom appointments and not assembling a squad capable of that achievement,and that will certainly involve a spend.
    Interesting what you say about a creating a Championship team in this division. Hope you're right,but very difficult to do. It's going to get interesting.

4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The staff have come here to make a name/succeed and one follows the other ...

... I can only assume that they've come because they've been sold a vision.

5. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

My view on this:
    1. I don't think he's good enough so find this surprising and possibly agent talk
    2. I hope he proves me wrong. Seems a good lad and a hard worker
    3. Don't think anybody could blame him if he took a chance of a lifetime to go and play for Celtic and in Europe
    4. I'm very grateful for his goals but won't be devastated to see him go if a replacement which changes our style of play comes in
    5. Encouraging (although taking with a pinch of salt) that we are reportedly offering him terms on a par with Celtic

6. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Marquis played well up here last season when Pompey beat us comfortably, but other than that he’s been poor against us for Doncaster and Portsmouth.

Random lad likes this.
  7. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

I didn't see that game mate so fair play if he did have a good game. I've seen him play against us a few times now though and watched Donny and Pompey a bit, and I'd be fuming if we bought him.

Random lad likes this.
  8. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I thought Eaves caused us more problems in our home game against Hull. Until he went off, our defence really struggled to handle him. I'm not saying he's the answer either mind.

9. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

He did but he missed sitters iirc. Or am I mixing him and Marquis up?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Robertson and Random lad like this.
  10. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Think that’s the thought of most decent fans. Some idiots on here and Twitter are going on about how he’s utterly ****e. Some people I even have time for saying it. Just don’t understand what precisely they want from a third division striker. Scores 20+ goals. Tick.

he’s not pretty, I’ve not once said he’s a good footballer, just think he’s a decent league 1 striker. People on Twitter blaming him fir our wide men not scoring 10 goals each! Don’t get the logic personally! 30 goals is enough fir me to say “well played son”

11. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

12. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Clarke-Harris then if this club mean business we need him and Sanderson for starters or are we going backwards again.

13. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Must admit Monty I am getting these funny feelings in my gut again but I keep saying to myself be patient.

14. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

You sure its not just wind ?

15. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Do you mean in my gut or coming from the club <laugh>

16. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

is that not standard for us fans every summer?

i always have this idea that 'this' season we will have all the players we need lined up and ready...then a week goes by and nothing (apart from Echo click-bait) then i look around the leagues and realise there has been very little movement in the transfer market, usually with a Euro or World cup year i also convince myself that everyone is waiting till they end, then the panic sets in...

Robertson and Makemstine Roger like this.
  17. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

The worst season for me was the one when we had lift off... Only for woy to Fcuk it up big pants style and resign and the powers that be thought BSA was the answer...

18. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Yeah mate. Our form from January to May had been exceptional and all of the players were talking about us not struggling again. Then Sam left, Moyes came in and we turned to ****e again. We signed N'Dong instead of Mvila, Kirchoff was ****ed again and Khazri and Kone spat their dummies out. Really disappointing summer.

19. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

The summer up with Allardyce there wasn't going the way we hoped either in my opinion. In the couple of interviews he did it was clear he was unhappy and that he wasn't being backed the way he wanted.

I believe he was looking at the exit anyway, ready to walk saying he wasn't getting the backing required from the owner. However, was this down to him having an idea that the FA were coming in so he wasn't arsed about appearing fed up. If he had stayed would he have managed to get the backing he wanted?

All I remember is watching the interview with him at the training camp and thinking "oh **** here we go".

20. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

I think this was the time when short pulled the plug on endless financing of SAFC and started to invest in tennis in california for his son?